Loss of hearing but not bad enough to be proper hearing loss?

“I have had a quick listen to the Genesis track mentioned above and I support the caveat relating to the version used. The opening section on the 2004 remix is utterly different from the 2007 re-master - and this was on Spotify. If a listener assigned the differences to declining hearing only, it would be alarming indeed. Interested readers can find my views on re-mastering elsewhere!”

Thanks Brian and yes, I can hear the Roland drums on my 42 year old vinyl (I only have the 2007 version on CD). The higher frequencies do sound noticeably quieter than I remember them but this is an album I’ve known since I was 18 so perhaps I’m asking too much :slightly_smiling_face:

The first Audiologist made the point that modern mixes sometimes manipulate frequencies. For example, cymbals are cut off at the bottom end so they don’t cross over with guitars and vocals in order to make the sound cleaner and clearer

Keith,
Thanks for the reply.
Since we corresponded earlier today, I had a little look around the Specsavers website with a view to requesting my audiology report and lo-and-behold, it is possible. It comes under the heading “subject access request” and they have acknowledged my request with an e-mail saying that they will reply by the end of January. I look forward to the outcome and will, of course, put an update on this thread. More information is always useful when making important decisions.
On the subject of the manipulation of frequencies on re-mastered music, I am really concerned. Surely this actually means that some technician, with a view to wrestling even more profit from an older recording, is actually saying that the cymbals chosen by the drummer were in some way inappropriate because they resonate at too low a frequency, or that the guitarist played too many high notes - or, indeed, that too many listeners are buying poor listening equipment. Surely, too, there are considerations of artistic intent and integrity in this matter.
Where will it all end? Somewhere banal and not too pleasant, I suspect!
Brian D.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

I’m not sure if it applies to remastering or just remixing. The Genesis albums were remixed in 2007, not to universal acclaim. Sadly, the original mixes can only be obtained on discontinued vinyl and CDs.

Also, I think a lot of audio decisions are taken long after the original studio performance.

Good luck with your hearing data. I’m attempting the same with my test from a few years back.

Just as a follow up to this. Company policy is irrelevant here and always has been. Your test results are your data and you’re entitled to a copy on the day. Requiring a SAR is a ludicrously bureaucratic way of going about something they’re obligated to provide even if the shop staff sat it’s against “policy”.

The game being played here is exactly that being played with all sensory loss. It’s now incredibly hard to get a referral from your GP to an audiologist and the high street big guys want in and to occupy the space formerly occupied by the NHS.

I have the same issue with my eye prescription. The game being played is that none of these places want you to take your data and buy spectacles or hearing aids from any of their market rivals. That’s the sole purpose of their policy. There is zero profit in an audiology or sight test unless you can sell something. They want to be the ones to sell it to you.

Bearing in mind that my sight registration means I no longer pay for my eye tests, Boots in Manchester never routinely offered me a copy of my eye script. In the past I would get past this by pointing out that I need annual copies for my eye hospital appointments in Leicester and also to support a DLA claim. Most time my needs do not vary but when they do I would take my script and buy online rather than deal with shop prices which tended to be 5x as much for “designer” items which look remarkably similar.

More recently I questioned why I even had to ask and took the matter to the ICO. Boots are currently reviewing their policy in light of the resulting advice. That “review” has thus far taken 2 years but in the meantime I’ve had no subsequent issues getting a copy on the spot on the day at all. If you are refused a copy of your audiology test results simply explain how freedom of information works and ask whether they really want a SAR request.

1 Like

Mike,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my earlier message.
Your comments are very interesting and I had suspected that Specsavers’ motive for the refusal to provide my results might have been just what you describe. I suspose that their reluctance makes commercial sense, even if it is of questionable integrity or, indeed, legality.
In any event, as I don’t need to take any action at the moment regarding my hearing, I’m not in a hurry to access my results. I’m content to give then until the end of the month, but after that, it might be quite interesting to pursue the matter further!
Best wishes,
Brian D.

1 Like

Good morning everyone,
Here is an update on my December visit to Specsavers.
They have responded to my request for my personal data and have properly included the results of my recent hearing test. Obviously, it would have been much simpler had they simply given me the results there-and-then, but their commercial interests seem to have taken precedence.
In any event, here are my results, showing some mild hearing loss:-

I’m fairly happy with this, given my age and my history of having worked in a noisy environment for part of my career. I will have another test in a year’s time to see how things are progressing - or not!
I suppose that the learning from this is that we should not be anxious about seeking a professional opinion about our hearing and to take photographs of any results provided by said professionals!
Best wishes,
Brian D.

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Good news that you got your data and interesting to compare to mine. Quite similar with yours starting to roll off a little bit lower, perhaps. It looks like a more gentle slope than mine. I think that’s partly down to the vertical scale they have used, although mine go down further. I’m 61 and I’m still unclear whether that leaves me worse than normal.

I had to stress my audiophile tendencies otherwise they would not have recommended the hearing aids, especially given their cost.

Keith

1 Like

Works a bit differently where I live in Canada. I followed David Hendon’s advice with adjustments for the local process. Got a hearing test done by AHS (similar to NHS). Then found a retailer who isn’t associated with any of the manufacturers. That way I was able to try a range of brands, including Phonak, Starkey and Resound. All latest highend products. I screened using solo piano performances using the NDX2 through a 252/300 and PMC Fact 12 speakers. Ended up picking the ReSound RU961. My ears have higher frequency roll-off and with the hearing aids I get more high frequency audio without losing quality. An improvement!

2 Likes

Had my NHS audiology assessment today.
He used a device to check my eardrums are vibrating as they should - which they are, so currently no gunk behind them - though he did say it could easily have done so after an infection such as Covid (I noticed the tinnitus not long after having Covid).
Sucked out a small amount of wax in my left ear (seems to collect in that one) - I can have my ears cleaned whenever I need it, for free from now.
Said my ears are healthy and working well.
Frequency wise - within normal hearing range most of the way, but my right ear loses the higher pitches soonest - close to the 8000Hz mark.
Tinnitus - He said that it may well have been a noise that was there before, but once heard hard to ignore. It may settle over time or it might not.
I have small ear canals so he said that over ear headphones are better for me than earbuds. We did discuss music listening a little.
I searched online for ‘tone generator’ and could immediately hear the difference between my ears as the tone ascended. I can hear up to about 12000 clearly on this - even if only on the left.
In one way a little disappointing as when I was younger I could hear higher frequencies than most people (as I discovered using a tone generator when I worked in BT).

2 Likes

For the past few weeks I had noticed a significant loss of hearing in my right ear and during an appointment for a PSA blood test last week I mentioned this to the nurse.

She called in a colleague who deals with ears, she took a look and immediately booked me an appointment for a reaming out of both ears.

Had that done today and I simply can’t believe the difference.

I must have been going progressively deaf for years due to wax build up.

When I got home I put on the album I was listening to last night and woohoo, the most astonishing free upgrade to the system ever.

I now know just what the SN2 is capable of and it far exceeds anything I have heard before. Its taken years off my hearing.:grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any danger that aids could harm hearing in normal use. The audiologist didn’t mention it but there are warnings on the Phonak app.

Keith

Not if all you are doing is raising the sound level enough to hear properly. But if you use the app to turn the hearing aid up to max and leave it there, then you could well start to accumulate damage just like people who listen to their Naim systems too loud!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.