Loud cracks on vinyl replay, again!

Awwww, that’s a damn shame…I’m sorry to hear that (no pun intended). Awful, waiting for the crack. Can understand how it would ruin enjoying your music…

1 Like

So the xx2 cartridge is the problem then, you know that now. Maybe a rebuild? If that can be done on a dynavector.?

Sorry you didn’t get the result you were hoping for, looks as if the removal of one cart to swap for another then back had a short window of cure, but long term, no luck. Keep the ATOC9 on and keep up with the testing.

Scott

I’ll only be able to point the finger at the XX-2 if the ATOC9 manages to avoid the cracks when given a decent run in the arm. It only in situ for Friday and got 3 albums before I put the XX-2 back in after finding the continuity issue with the copper gasket.
I’ll power down tomorrow ready for Friday’s thunderstorms and refit the ATOC9. Then we’ll see if it gets past the 20 albums the XX-2 managed between Saturday and Tuesday …

Well the ATOC9 is back in place but sounding very much lacking in lower frequencies. I’m currently using the loading plug for the XX-2 (453ohm) - will dropping down to 100ohm will improve the bass or do I have that the wrong way round? The data sheet with the cart states minimum 100ohm.

Also, I tried inspecting the cart with a magnifying glass to see if I could spot anything that may cause an arc or something. All looked fine but I did notice that the part of the cart that fixes to he arm is non metallic in nature so I’m thinking the addition of the gasket wouldn’t have had any impact.

I’ll keep listening and report back.

Regards,
Steve O.

Steve, if it’s an original OC9 then it can be pretty lean in the bass - something much improved with the later MLII, and Mk.III versions.

It’s actually the ML/II version Richard, my bad :nerd_face:
My other thought is that maybe the aged damping rubbers are hindering performance. The cart has less than 100hrs on it but is 16 years old …

OK, the MLII is still on the lean side - but positively fulsome in the bass compared to the original!

1 Like

Are the arm height and tracking force correct? (forgive me, I just want to rule out the basics).

VTA is correct and tracking force is set bang in the middle of the 1.25 --> 1.75 gram range specified on the data sheet. Tried it at 1.65g but the sound went quite flat.

Fair enough :+1:

1 Like

Steve

I’m using 100ohm on my superline with my Mark3 OC9 and there is good bass response (252/SC/250 - all DR) with my Ovators.

I’ve had lots of Audio Technica MC cartridges down the years and all have been zero maintenance and consistent performers - all worked well on my ancient LP12. I do hope you fix this annoying problem - keep going buddy.

1 Like

Well the AT-OC9 has now got through 21 albums in two weeks and not given out a loud crack. I’d have been lucky to get through 10 with the XX-2 of late. While I think it’s too early to make a definitive accusation in the XX-2’s direction, it is looking the likely culprit.

So with that in mind it might be time to think about a replacement. Even though the cart is only just over 2 years old (the problem started at 18 months old) it is technically now out of warranty even though the problem started in the warranty period. While I’m hoping Dynavector will recognise this and either replace it or make a decent financial allowance I’m not confident they will. Does anyone have any cartridge recommendations at around the £1500 mark?

I’ve looked at the Lyra’s (Delos and Kleos) but those nude cartridges scare me to death - it’s why I didn’t move up to the Te Kaitora Rua last time round.
I actually quite like the AT-OC9 ML/II I’ve been running and if it could give me a bit more I could happily live with it. There’s just a lack of body and detail in the lower-mids. I’ve wondered if the AT-ART9 would give me that but there’s very little in the way of trusted reviews that I can find online. Audio Technica responded to an email and said the AT-ART9 is fast with great transient response and the new top of the range ATOC9 would give more warmth so that makes me think it doesn’t have the signature I’m looking for. I asked my dealer about the Ortofon Blue or Bronze and he thinks I’ll find them too polite. He said the Hana ML is a good option and that one does have some great reviews but he definitely favours the DV’s.
Thanks.

I have found that hifi companies in general are pretty good on the customer relations side, so I would find the distributor for DV in the UK and phone them, explaining the situation and how much time you have spent identifying the root of the problem; then ask them for their advice. At the minimum you can get the standard trade in against a new DV cartridge.

It’s been a painful saga for you and I wish you luck in a final resolution.

I’ve spoken with my dealer and we’re going to send the XX-2 away to John @ Pear Audio so DV can take a look at it.
I’m feeling I’d need more than just the standard trade in value to stick with DV if I’m honest. This ordeal, and that is exactly what it’s been, has dented my confidence in what I appreciate is a very good cartridge.
Having said that, it’s going to be hard to listen to different carts in the current situation. We’re in Wales and still shielding due to a vulnerable member of the household.

I had random loud cracks with my XX2 too, I had clicks when pressing lights switch, i had also radio stations receiving from time to time. Additional earth cable from pre to superline did not change anything. I have not many rca intreconnects from turntable to superline to try to see if they make any difference (shielding?) Did not try any other cartridge yet, but i will try a Denon DL-103 in near future.
What worked so far? capacitive plugs: 1nF still clicks and radio, 4.7nFplug and no other clicks (of any source) appear.

That’s weird!
Did that happen straight away or after a while?

I’m not sure I’d be happy adding capacitance when the cartridge was OK for 18 months beforehand and for the full life of the XX-2 before it.
@Richard.Dane and @NeilS out of curiosity how would adding capacitance alter the sound?
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions, they really did keep me going when I thought of ditching vinyl out of sheer frustration.

It’ll depend on the cartridge used. However additional capacitance will affect the response, which may be a good thing, maybe not, and it can be useful in curing some rf issues too. No harm in trying.

1 Like

As mentioned in your other thread, I have loud cracks on my XX2 mk 2 as well. It is very loud and spooky, when this happens. Running the 453R plugg through a Supercaped Superline into 552.

Now I mounted an used Kyra Kleos and the problem is compleately gone.

I really wait for your report regarding the DV. Maybe a bad charge from DV? Could something like this happen ?

1 Like

If the ART1 I heard in a full Linn set in the early nineties is anything to go by I’d say the ART9 would definitely be worth a listen. It put the then darling, the Linn Troika, in the shade. It just sounded so right from the start. Amongst all the audio hyperbole, it was one of those all too rare jaw on the floor moments.

1 Like