Loud cracks on vinyl replay, again!

Seconded on the static charge and potential phono Issue. How old is your cartridge and is there any amount of build up on the intricate wires etc? I only ask as I have read where it is recommended no to use air cans to clean your needle due to potential damage from forcing debris in these pockets and wires. Listen to iPhone or cd, see if it happens.

Scott

If this is not resolved soon can you borrow an LP12 with a Urika 1 fitted from your dealer? One reason I went this route rather than a Superline was that it is more effective against noisy mains issues. Just a thought, and absolutely of no use in the short termā€¦

Stu

Itā€™s an option to put a P75 in there to see if itā€™s the sensitivity of the Superline thatā€™s the issue I suppose but why would I want to change the whole front end?
Plus, letā€™s not forget the Superline has worked without issue for many years (2009).
Regards.

It could be anything in your house, not just stuff that is near or on the same electrical ring. Classically this is often a faulty or worn thermostat, which is why fridges and freezers, immersion heaters and central heating boilers are prime suspects.
Best

David

1 Like

SteveO,

Many years ago (in 1990) my system had very similar symptoms. After such a long time my recollection may be a bit vague but I hope this might help.

Iā€™d only had my new system a short while and it started making very loud cracks intermittently on vinyl replay. So loud that it made listening unpleasant as I was always thinking about the next one and whether it was bad for the speakers etc. On reflection, I may had been tinkering with the setup and done something to the cartridge (e.g. overtightened the bolts or dislodged the wires) in my ignorance.

I returned my deck to the dealer who couldnā€™t replicate the issue. He thought that maybe it was a problem from static. Anyway, he removed and refitted the cartridge and the problem disappeared for good.

So although I never discovered the root cause, it was confined to the cartridge since that was the only thing that was changed.

I hope that those on this forum with better technical knowledge than me will give their thoughts on whether my story makes sense and is relevant for you. I wouldnā€™t want to send you down the wrong path!

Boiler thermostat and immersion heater have caused me issues in the past.
As other have said, anything which might switch on and off - instant boiling water tap, fridge etc. etc.

Hi Ravvie and Steve O

Just caught this topic and found similar. Was getting random loud clicks on vinyl, Aro Troika LP12 Geddon copy into hiccup 82 all serviced. Tried switching off everything in the house and still happened, then in a fit of annoyance I dismantled the system and rebuilt it and the problem never returned.

Not scientific but I assumed static build up due to a poor connection.

Similar problem here some while ago
Loud pops randomly on vinyl

Changed my cartridge (ortofon) for my Hana spareā€¦ problem stoppedā€¦changed back to ortofonā€¦ problem came back
Sold ortofonā€¦problem gone

This sounds like an issue we had at the factory with the SPU Royal N in the Aro. Somehow there was an issue with the grounding between cartridge and headshell. scraping a bit of the anodising on the SPU ā€œcheeseā€ piece and then using a thin copper gasket between the two cured the problem of the cracking sounds completely.

1 Like

hi steveO, back in the mists of time I stupidly had my lp 12 fitted with a vivid kit and because its made of nylon (armboard etc) part of the instillation was to disconnect the arm earth wire and I would get loud cracks over my speakers and even static shocks when changing records it got that bad that one day I was removing a brand new copy of in rainbows from the platter that I dropped it and scratched said album. still have the vivid kit but not on my lp 12 , anyway I would make sure that the earth wire on your arm is in one piece or they havenā€™t parted company with the spade connectors and are only fixed to the insulation

hicap lol

1 Like

Ha ha. That made me chuckle. Hiccup!!

1 Like

auto spell check, a dangerous feature!

1 Like

That would be a real shame with such an excellent front end. Although I didnā€™t suffer any problems with my XX-2 I do see how dust could get inside with the open body design. Sounds like a strip down and rebuild by your dealer could be the answer from some of the responses above. I can imagine exactly how you feel though having felt the same way when a recalcitrant SME Series 111 with Shure V cartridge I owned many years ago developed the knack of random mistracking despite everything I could do to set it up. In the end an LP12/Ittok came to my rescue.

The cartridge has been in place since May 2017, wouldnā€™t the problem have been evident from the off?
Regards

Possibly, I couldnā€™t say for sure. But I wouldnā€™t discount it without properly investigating.

Okay thanks, Iā€™ll add it to the list.

Does anyone know what loading Iā€™d need on the Superline if I were to put in my old ATOC9 to try to eliminate the cartridge from the list of culprits?
Regards,
Steve O.

Steve - have you tried what TallGuy suggested back up the thread ? This seems a very sensible approach to determine whether itā€™s system related or from an external (to the system) source and allow you to focus on the right area.

James

Iā€™m sat in front of my hifi doing just that James.
Iā€™m just gathering info for what might be needed next ā€¦
Cheers,

2 Likes