Loud cracks on vinyl replay, again!

Good luck !

Have you tried connecting an extra Earth wire ? This has worked for me in the past.

How would I do that? Run an earth from the grounding terminal on the Superline to the mains socket? Would that not mess with the earthing of the system?
Regards.

Worth trying ā€˜AT-OC9 Superlineā€™ in the search box.

Just for the crack the loading wonā€™t matter too much.

Somehow 100Ī© springs to mind but where it came from Iā€™ve no idea so it might be wildly wrong or relate to a different phonostage, if bass is too heavy and slow itā€™s not right and you need to go higher.

Had the same problem when I was using my LP12 with a Project Phonostage. Eventually found out that the Netgear Powerline I was using was creating interference back through the power supply of the phonostage. When I switched the powerline off the problem disappeared. Eventually changed the phonostage to a Linn Uphorik and problem hasnt occurred since.

Hi
I had the same problem. I had my Naim equipment plugged into a mains conditioner. DVD, Sky etc plugged into a normal cheap household 5 way gang of plugs with fuse.
I swapped them over & it done the trick.
Cheers

A couple of thoughts. You mentioned you have things plugged into a 6 way Atlas mains blockā€¦ Is this the once that has 3 filtered and 3 unfiltered , or the basic one with no filtration?

Do you have forced air heating or electric heat? Iā€™m thinking that if the air is extremely dry as is common in the winter that youā€™re getting a static build up. Have you tried a ZeroStat device? they are cheap and help with static. do you have a hygrometer to measure humidity levels in the room? normal humidity should be between 40-50%

The Atlas is just a power block - no filters.
Iā€™ve got and use a zerostat but it hasnā€™t helped unfortunately.
Itā€™s gas boiler central heating and we have a dehumidifier running during the day. Turn it off in the evening as itā€™s noisy. Display shows as 47%.
Thanks for all the help so far guys, still working through the listening with no music if that makes sense ā€¦
Weā€™ll get there hopefully.
Regards.

I was thinking of an extra wire from the Superline to the preamp?

1 Like

Iā€™ve done 3 x 1hr sessions of listening to Aux 1 with nowt playing without a sound.
Will do the same with the T/T motor running next and update.

1 Like

SteveO,

Is your bearing grounded/earthed?

Yes all the earthing is secure, unless the earth wires are compromised which is doubtful as theyā€™re not touched.
Regards.

I had a similar situation after EKOS SE was installed with their new black tone arm T-Kable.

Luckily a friend happened to have some sort of noise issue with his new EKOS SE with their T-kable, too and just as intuition, he decided to installed an old Ittok gray cable.

My friend does not know why this worked but the noise he was experiencing was gone with this old cable.

So I tried those instead of EKOS SE cable and voila! Intermittent loud popping noises were gone!
There must be some technical reason to why this old cable stops the noise. I would love to know.

BTW, we both use Superline and switched from ARO. ( circa 2008 )

So, wondering if you could try a different tone arm cable with your Roxy?

How old is your Superline?

The Superline is 11 years old and was sent back to base for ā€œrepairā€ last October. Looks like it wasnā€™t at fault. Was getting close to a service anyhow I suppose.
Iā€™d need to borrow a tonearm cable from my dealer which wonā€™t be possible for a while I guess.

UPDATE:
Iā€™ve now listened to the Phono input with nothing playing, again with the motor running and also to the CD input with nothing playing and have had total silence.
Iā€™ve also checked the tonearm cable connection as I hadnā€™t done that previously.
What is that telling me and are we going to try next gents?
Regards,
Steve O.

Iā€™d be really surprised if it is something coming in through the mains from other thing switching etc. I think Richard might be right that itā€™s possibly and issue with earthing the cartridge. Voltage builds up from the mechanical action of the record playing and eventually jumps the high-resistance to earth.

1 Like

Test the earth continuity with a multi-meter?

Good suggestion.

How would I do that. I have a cheap multimeter but have never used it. Just looks too baffling :crazy_face: