Loud cracks on vinyl replay, again!

Well Steve O, it’s seems recently it has become only 2-3 songs in and it happens, so, a few albums is promising. Looks like Kuma and Richard headed you in a positive direction. A little lesson for all of us I suppose.

1 Like

Kuma, am I right that your Superline is powered by a Supercap?

It really does take the joy out of listening. I’m still a little apprehensive when listening and can’t yet fully immerse into the listening experience but time will sort that out.
I’ll be happy if it does transpire that the arm cable was the culprit. If the mat or the copper gasket had resolved the issue I’d be expecting the issue to resurface at some point. If it’s the arm cable it’ll be far easier for me to draw a line under it.

Hope you get to the root of your problem quickly. I know I wouldn’t be entirely happy that the capacitance plug had stopped the issue.

So, it’s not the arm cable either.
To say I’m peed off is is an understatement.

Really sorry to hear that (but no joke intended).
Dammit, we all had our
:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:t6:

You must be totally frustrated as well as mystified.

SteveO, I have been following your posts and feel your pain as i 'am still fighting my system problem, your comment : It really does take the joy out of listening, hit the nail on the head. I am going to my nearest dealer next week to try some home loans of pre amps and speakers to try and solve the problem i don’t need the expence but it seems the only way . best wishes neil.

Aaargh!

Yep. none DR Supercap.

Augh. :anguished: Well, it was a 50/50 chance. I wish I could tell you why an old gray Ittok arm leads worked in my case in place of a brand new T-cable that came with the EKOS SE/2. So I could tell you specifically what type of cable you need to try. I figured it must be something to do with a grounding scheme. But not sure.

A friend how told me about it also had the same problem and just as his haunch decided to try another cable on hand. ( he does not know why it worked either ) :thinking:

IIRC, there’s a rare situation that can arise with a Superline when it’s powered by a Supercap; it’s down to a combination of factors that add up - Superline, cabling, Supercap, capacitance of the armlead that can just tip it into a kind of instability. It could be that you were just on the right side of it before, but perhaps something has changed very slightly, maybe even a component ageing. This would perhaps explain why adding capacitance cures the problem. I seem to recall being told by Naim R&D there’s a Naim mod that can be applied if you are so afflicted (AFAIK there are only 2 or 3 other cases I’m aware of).

I could be way off bat here, but best to liaise with the distributor and have them confer with Naim just in case.

That’s interesting Richard. re: capacitance on cables. I never had this problem with ARO + arm leads. I wanted to have arm cables made for EKOS but I was told that no more extra ARO cables. :unamused:

Yeah you’re right that utility company maybe decided to put up another radio tower near by. :confused:

There’s supposed to be a filter I could try. Recapping is a possibility, too I suppose but originally I was told not due yet. ( the unit is the first generation abt. 12 years old ) but the fact is I don’t think the factory know how these new caps age. ( they look different from what they used in the past ) So it’s possible that my Superline can use a recap. This is a form of instability.

I am hoping that I can try a filter first and see if eliminates the motorboating. ( also this way I can hear how much sonic change occurs with filter with nothing else changed. )

Also would like to find out if my original loud cracking problem is also related to aging of the component. ( tho the OP sent in his Superline and he’s still having the noise issue )

I think the cracking issue is something quite separate. Only way to really know for sure is to swap out the turntable and arm, but not so straightforward if you don’t have one handy…

1 Like

I think the only other option available to me in the short term is to change the cartridge. I have an old (10 yrs or more) AT-OC9 with very little wear on it but I’m a bit concerned the rubber will be overly hardened by now. I suppose I could just use old vinyl I’ve thought of moving on in case the cart causes any damage.
@Richard.Dane - am I right in thinking that if I remove the loading plug from the Superline I’m left with Stageline loading settings?

Steve, with no plugs fitted the standard internal loading is 10kOhm Resistance and 100pF Capacitance.

It couldn’t be the resistance loading plug causing the problem could it?
Kuma’s post got me wondering …

No, likely not - a very different issue there.

Hi SteveO do you have a Hygrometer? I just keep thinking its overly dry in your home causing the static. You should have 40% or better humidity.

1 Like

I think you might be right. After swapping the arm cables, no trouble for over a year.

I do have a dehumidifier running and that shows 44%.

I’ve been trying to use a little reasoning to narrow down the culprit so have listed everything in the vinyl replay chain. Where I’ve tried things I’ve added a comment.

Dynavector XX-2
Atremiz-2
Artemiz-2 in-Arm Wiring
Tonearm Cable - Replaced.
Xerxes 20 plus deck itself - all earthing sound.
Roksan Reference Turntable Power Supply - Only powers motor so cannot put noise into system.
Mains lead to Roksan Turntable Power Supply - see above.
Superline - Returned to base - new PCB Board fitted. However problem also occurred on loaned Stageline while Superline away for repair so Superline never at fault.
HiCap DR - Happens when HiCap removed from playback chain.
Mains lead to HiCap DR - see above.
Snaic - Loaned different Snaic from dealer.
Naim I/C - HiCap to 252 - Happens with both Lavender and HiLine I/C’s.
Naim NAC252DR - Problem has occurred on Aux1 when using HiCap DR and on Aux2 when powered by 252 so not likely to be an input issue. No issue with other sources.
Naim NAP300DR - Discounted as culprit as it never happens on other 2 sources.
Totem Mani-2 Signatures - Discounted as culprit as it never happens on other 2 sources.
Tellurium Q Ultra Black Speaker Cables - Discounted as culprit as it never happens on other 2 sources.
Atlas Power Block - Discounted as culprit as it never happens on other 2 sources and it happened when HiCap not in chain.

Is the logic I’ve applied sound, particularly in relation to the T/T power supply?

Regards,
Steve O.