Loud cracks on vinyl replay, again!

what about arm set up is cartridge angeled to close to record? i am not savvy with set up at all so maybe talking a load of rubbish

Itā€™s a problem thatā€™s reared itā€™s head out of the blue after 10 years of working flawlessly so set up is highly unlikely I feel.

Is it possible you can borrow another turntable from your dealer?

The short answer is due to family circumstances and the restrictions around Covid, contact with my dealer in the near future isnā€™t possible.
If changing the cartridge doesnā€™t sort it then Iā€™m out of options for now as I canā€™t see me being able to visit my dealer until mid August at the earliest.
As much as I want it sorted, in the greater scheme of things itā€™s not that important, though at times itā€™s not easy to rationalise that fact.

Steve,
Why canā€™t your dealer lend you a demo P3?
It does not have to be a fancy turntable for trouble shooting. Tho it wonā€™t solve the problem but at least youā€™d know the problem is within a TT.

I did not reliase you also had a problem with the Stageline.

Have you tried another non Naim phono?
Thatā€™s one thing I have not done.

My dealer is great and would lend me a different T/T and phonostage without question. Just before lockdown we were looking at trying a P75.
Problem is, a member of the household is classed as ā€œextremely vulnerableā€ in relation to Covid-19 so the whole household has to isolate until August 16th.

I seeā€¦But he can still ship a P75 right? Sanitise the box and you can at least install it. Itā€™s a small unit. No?

I guess so.

Do you get the crack with not record playing but the phonostage selected on the pre?
With or without the platter turning?
Does it only occur when actually playing records?

Hi Yeti,
So far only with records playing.
With the phonostage selected on the pre Iā€™ve ā€œlistenedā€ to it without anything playing for two lots of 2hrs. One with the platter spinning and one with the platter still. Silence both times.
Trouble is I could listen to vinyl for 2 hours without it happening anyway.
Regards.

If itā€™s not a room you spend time in without using the system itā€™s not such an easy test. I could use the TVā€™s own speaker instead of the system and sometimes Iā€™m even there without using either.

I keep my house at 55-60 with a/c in summer, and a dehumidifier in work room in basement, and in winter, I set up my humidifier with the heat for 55.

Can you power your superline from your pre amp as a test, or you may have done that already. Not sure if thatā€™s possible as I donā€™t know the specs on superline. May add a grounding loop you need?

I may be redundant here, but are all ground straps on the arm and TT secured, frayed maybeā€¦ not sure about Roksan set up

Scott

Until recently my system produced a healthy bang for every other device switched on or off. This despite a dedicated circuit and several different cartridges, phono stages, amplifiers and cables of all sorts. Moving the electronics to the right side of the speakers, they sat in the middle before, completely cured it. I can only guess, but most likely the speaker cables acted like a sort of aerial.
You havenā€™t moved your system between the speakers?
Otherwise and much more likely, Iā€™d guess there is something wrong with the wiring inside your tonearm. Can you see how itā€™s routed around the bearing? Is the wiring solid core or stranded?

Hi Scott, Iā€™ve done the Superline powered by the pre (it also happened with a borrowed Stageline).
As for grounding, the Xerxes has a ground to the Superline and another to the motor. Both were redone when changing the arm cable.
Not sure what a grounding loop is though. I have thought of adding a wire between the ground on the Superline and the one on the 252, is that what you mean?
Someone else I spoke to suggested a wire from the Superline to a plug with only an earth wire into an empty socket. Wasnā€™t too keen on that idea but may be forced into trying it!

I suspect that will give you a ground loop. In your system the signal to mains ground connection is made by the CDS3, its mains ground connection coming via the XPS2. A quick question for you Steve, is the NAT05 still connected to the system and what is the antenna arrangement for the tuner ?

How about eliminating one ground cable? Can you eliminate the ground to the superline and test? Maybe the motor ground is enough based on system TT design. Doesnā€™t the superline get a ground through the chassis of power supply? Maybe something there?

Yes, I agree with a test of alternate cartridge too.

Scott

Is this your earthing setup with an earth from phonostage to arm and on to sub plinth? If the motor has a separate earth is there continuity between motor and sub plinth apart from via the earths? This might give an earth loop if so.

Sorry, yes itā€™s set up as in the diagram. Itā€™s platter grounding via the sub plinth. Donā€™t know why I wrote motor ā€¦

Yeah the NAT05 is still attached and uses a Ron Smith Galaxie 23. Iā€™ve not altered anything with the tuner for 15 years.

I could disconnect the ground at the Superline end and see if it resolves the problem but that doesnā€™t explain why the system, and grounding method, have worked for over 10 years without a hiccup.

Thanks for trying to help gents, much appreciated.

Thatā€™s where my money is at the moment. Mind you Iā€™d be at GA by now the number of times I put my money on the current suspect being the one.