Loud Humming NAP200

No I don’t think he is.Just the more complex and expensive conditioners.
If your blocker has reduced the hum and not impacted on SQ then job done.
My blocker works faultlessly and the SQ in unaffected.
The Mrs can use a hair dryer upstairs now and my amp stays silent.

2 Likes

Do you think a second one on the 180 will further improve the situation? I’ve currently got one on the hicap which strangely seems to have minimised hum on both units. There’s still a feint hum and I could easily live with it - I’m just considering a second which may totally resolve situation?

Simple solution, try a second one if it doesnt improve things further send it back.

2 Likes

This is true!

Does the hum reduce when you lift the device by hand? If so, adding extra suspension will also reduce the hum.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go and report back. It’s no where near as noticeable now the dc block fitted - or so it seems since

1 Like

Both my NAP 250s hummed, which you you could hear when sitting down, if there was no music on.

One much more than the other. This one had the first IFI DC Blocker fitted. Made that one totally quiet.

You could just hear the humming on the second one if you were close enough. So I fitted a second one.

Result as previously advised is dead silence, no humming at all.

Very pleased with them and the best bit is, no detrimental effect to the SQ.

DG…

2 Likes

I’ve ordered a second for my 180. The hicap has become a lot quieter still a feint buzz. The 180 appeared to have improved too which I found strange. On checking again last night it’s still humming as it was. I’ll update thread after the second is added. I’m hoping it sorts the issue. Cheers Diggy👍

1 Like

This didn’t make a difference but 2nd block arriving Thursday. Hopefully work sufficiently as it has done on hicap :+1:

I’d never really thought about it until I read that, but with hindsight, I’m fairly sure my 200 has been buzzing/humming less since I got it (and its 202 sibling) serviced last year. Certainly, I used to notice it humming from time to time when I was standing near it but I can’t remember having noticed anything similar for a year or so. I’ll try to deliberately listen out for it to see if I’m just imagining things.

Of course, it could be that another change happened elsewhere in the system at around the same time and the servicing is a red herring. Now I think about it, the eldest daughter went off to University about a year ago too. Hmm…

Mark

My 200 hums as described earlier i.e. late evening and Sunday morning. Rarely lasts more than a minute but can come and go over a longer period. However, it hummed from day one and it neither stopped nor got worse after a full service. It has in itself never stopped my musical enjoyment.

1 Like

I will end my input on this thread by saying the second dc block - so one on hicap and one on the 180 has rectified this issue. The humming is extremely quiet now and I can easily live with it. The sound quality doesn’t appear to have been affected at all but to my ears…… thanks all :+1:

1 Like

Good result.

DG…

I had similar issue ones with an older xs2. I found out that isolating really helps. As I understand the transformer vibrates at 50Hz or so and if the feet are a bit old and stiff the vibration may hit the case hard and make the hum. Suspending the amp will prevent vibrations from the floor to excite the transformer and the transformer to excite the case. Putting something havy and rubbery on the case can also help.

1 Like

Top job… you went for the Audiolab units?

1 Like

Yes was either them or the info but the audiolab got good reviews and have worked well👍

1 Like

I looked at both the Audiolab and IFI versions.

Both have good reviews.

But went with the IFI in the end as it was in-line and no additional mains cables needed.

DG…

2 Likes

Thank you for your help. I got an iFi DC blocker. I’m not sure if it helped. Should I get a second one to plug into the back of the first?

I got me an Airlink balanced transformer which has vastly reduced the hum from my 300 but not quite eliminated it. but loads better.

Tim

any suggestion to avoid power amps from humming?
I heard people suggesting to keep napsc as far as possible, others even mains distributor far away.
I had pre and power amp one above the other on the floor, while nds and cd into the sideboard and they were very silent.
I bought a good rack, worth almost 2000 euro, and the hum begun, from nap 250 dr and hicap dr too. same plug, same mains distributor, same electronics