Love Hate Atom

I am also a fairly new user of an Atom. So far I’m happy with the performance, and have yet to experience any problems with the display freezing. But I will join the posters above, in wishing for more options in setting up the display. For a start the ability keep the detailed view on, instead of it reverting to the album art. It would also be great if there were a possibility to set different behaviours for different inputs, e.g. if you could choose to keep the display on for some sources (those with metadata displayed) and off for other sources (those without) I am hoping there will enhancements further down the road.

Peter

Firstly it is ridiculous for owners to ask a manufacturer to downgrade the software to a previous version, Naim should have sorted this problem out a long while ago.
Secondly the frozen screen appears to be a problem across the whole Uniti range as I suffer it on my Nova. I reported the problem to my dealer soon after 3.2 came out and he assured me Naim were aware of the problem.
It does not reflect well on Naim that nothing has been done in the meantime. I’m seriously starting to look at other alternatives as I’m fed up with having to unplug and switch back on to clear the problem. I can say that sound quality improved after 3.2 but it should have been properly tested before release so these bugs did not appear.
It’s a pity because I was otherwise happy with the product.

1 Like

I agree it’s a bore as it has also started happening on my Nova. For me, I only find it mildly irritating and they are meant to be addressing it in the next sofware update. But I appreciate others find it more stressful.

and a +1 for more info on the screen.

On my Nova, it is not necessary to unplug. Switching the unit off with a long press of the power button and back on sorts it. Saves scrabbling around the back amongst the spaghetti.

1 Like

I have the same issue on my Atom.
I bought it end June and it came with the latest firmware.
I use Roon to contorl my music and the Atom, so it doesn’t really irritate me that much. Streaming and music wise everything is just working perfectly: I can control the atom through roon (even when the display is frozen), everything plays perfectly, I can control volume / extra tracks / whatever perfectly through Roon: so network and audio wise the Atom is fully functional and accepting new RAAT commands.
It’s only the display which sometimes stays on the home screen (so no album art loading)
or goes black after certain amount of time (the time period when screen goes blank is not the same every time). (PS: when you just leave it playing, it even comes back after a long period of playing)
So the only issue you have while using Roon, is that the album info and art is not visible.
I also found that leaving the display always on is a bit better (problem doesn’t occur as much as when you let the display turn itself off after x minutes)
I can understand that if you are not using Roon, this can be a real pita…

Looking forward to the new firmware upgrade :wink:

PW42 I’ve tried both methods but found unplugging cleared everything.
Initially it also improved the sound on a couple of occasions following the 3.2 installation.
After all the time that has elapsed since I reported the issue I’m beginning to wonder if Naim have a fix.

I had the previous Uniti (the one with the green screen). The screen was much better, showing all the necessary info etc. It was much useful despite of being monochromatic. The remote was much more usefull too. I could actually use it for controlling the device. I wonder why this was taken away. I came across several other streamers, currently in production, which can be controlled fully by the app but as well by the remote (some of them even by button at the front). Would it take too much resources like processing power?
I bet current bugs will be sorted sooner or later but can we hope for additional stuff? What I do, I send them email from time to time requesting new functionalities etc. I get no responses anymore (I bet there is a separate spam email box just for my emails). I guess if more of us start requesting features directly by email, they may take it seriously. Good thing: despite of all issues the sound coming out of my Star is good enough to cover up all inconveniences.

Random question before I forget: I have noticed (since deciding to keep it on on the recommendation of another member here) that the Atom produces white noise audible about two feet from my speakers with no source playing. I already mentioned this to my dealer who said it was a Naim trademark. Is this true? Should it be there? My simple brain would have thought eliminating noise from the output would be a fairly basic requirement of good audio equipment, and certainly I’ve never heard it on my previous Cyrus system, but I’m aware that they use sufficiently different approaches to make comparison difficult. Hmm…

Sounds strange to me. I hear nothing from my speakers on either my Atom or NAC272 system. Perhaps an issue with your domestic power?

Perhaps, but how would domestic power noise find its way through to the output side of something like the Atom. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this as a factor/work out of this is the case or if it’s a fault with the Atom?

Sorry, I haven’t got the technical knowledge to answer that! Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will provide helpful info., or Naim support will step in. Good luck.

Finally a problem I don’t have :slight_smile:
Mine is absolutely still when when volume is 50 on empty Digital input and having moderate sensitive speakers (Dynaudio S40) - never heard any noise so if this noise is audible on yor system I think you should send it for repair.

I actually tried to put a spectrum analyzer in front of the speaker and turned the volume up to 85 just to see if there should be anything beyond my ears frequency limits limits (10-11 khz) - absolutely nothing…

There is a small “Blob” when I turn it on that I would like not to be there but since it has been on both Atoms I have tried I guess it’s like it is.

The latest Uniti update has just been released. See here…

1 Like

This update works really wel for me so far: Roon, TIDAL, Internet radio, etc. Nu display issues so far and the sound is solid.

Oh looking forward to this! Shame I have guests tonight so I can’t spend the evening faffing with it…

Ok I think perhaps my dealer was telling a fib in saying it was a “Naim” thing. My speakers are Quad 11L Classic so a pretty standard sensitivity and impedance. The noise doesn’t vary with volume, but when you turn the volume dial you get a distinctly analogue crackle as well, very quiet but definitely there. In a way I miss the quietness and soft on/off of my archaic Cyrus 6VS - that thing had gotta be 20 years old when I sold it but it gave a more reassuring experience than the various clicks, poofs and crackles the Atom makes…

Wrong priorities! :rofl:

Yes it’s normal but can be more apparent on sensitive speakers. I noticed it morewhen I changed my speakers this year. It’s a Naim trade mark for getting better amplification.

The hiss that others report is I think probably is ok but the analog crackle as you turn the volume control doesn’t sound right to me at all and if it were me I would be taking it back to your dealer and ask them to get it sorted out.

Best
David

That’s actually quite hard to do as the Diesel nozzles won’t fit into an unleaded filler :nerd_face:

I know what you mean though :smile: It’s a difficult one for Naim who’s goal is SQ and not ‘connects to anything’.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.