Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

Maybe… I suspect they would do minimal changes to the preamp and logic/volume control and update the streaming side … in line with all the orher streamers…if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

That’s not appealing.
I doubt that they’d sell many of them to existing customers if it’s really just a new streaming board.

1 Like

I think the price is going to be the issue. My 272 was $8ks here, think if they up dated the streamer and pre amp to the current line up standards it’ll be close to $16ks.

1 Like

I find many classical recordings sound overly ‘digital’ on my N272 / XPSDR, but this is less of an issue with other genres. Maybe I’m listening to the wrong recordings?

A 555PS is likely the solution, but first I’ll have to overcome my philosophical objection to spending appreciably more on a power supply than on the component it’s powering!

Yes that’s my problem as well. I might arrange a home demo and see if I t makes that much difference.

Don’t do a home trial, whatever you do!
There’s no way you’ll ever let it leave your house…

1 Like

Yes I know I’m the one who always bangs on about how dangerous they are.

1 Like

What’s TM, and do you guys have the same power thingy and plugs as us.

I’ll have a look when get home tomorrow, been on a road trip to Qld for the last 10 days. Thanks.

Decided to stay at Coffs on the way home, just had a look couldn’t find it.

I’ve deleted a few posts @Pete_the_painter, as it probably breaches the forum rules.

1 Like

Hope Peder doesn’t call you out. :rofl::+1:

1 Like

I’ve played around with my 20 USD Chromecast Audio using optical out into my 272 to see what the Naim streamer section ads to the party. I can hear zero difference really. Also, the little CCA supports Roon…

Try an NDX2.

Well send me the money first :sunglasses: Just saying it’s a cheap way to update your old platform Naim streamers to support Roon or being able to use Tidals own app instead om Naims (Which is pretty bad in comparison) or to chromecast your spotify, tidal content from Google Chrome on your Mac.

It also got me thinking if adding a nDac to my 272 would raise the quality even further using the 272 mainly as a preamp. The nDacs are pretty cheap now. Can buy one in mint for 600£. Would it be an improvement? A friend of mine compared it to his Heed dac and said the nDac was quite lush and warm. Might be a better pairing with my system if I tend to find the 272 adding a bit too much to the game on some records.

Last, there is an INPUT TRIM option in the settings for the 272. Is that destructive trimming of the input signal or what’s your experience? It’s rather convenient setting all inputs to same level.

1 Like

I’ve used input trim happily since getting the 272 and it seems fine. But if you think it makes things worse, don’t use it. I’d suggest that as you’ve just got the 272 you just enjoy using it. I tried a Chromecast once and it was absolutely crap. I think it’s best to get the product that actually meets your needs rather than bodging something else. Roon can be added with software on a nas if it’s really important.

presumably £4.5k or so? I’m waiting to get my 272, but the comments on here suggest an improved 272 as described could at least match the equivalently priced separates.
A NDX2/282 & Hicap is around £12K, and people are saying the 272 is almost the same as the 252, so I’m not convinced.

As good as the 272 is even with 555, it is not a 252

Going back a number of years now I tried the 272 vs NDX and separates, my choice was to go down the separate route, I have owned a 202,282, and now 252

252 in the right system is sublime and leaves the 272 standing, but that’s just my view

I still use my NDX daily with 252/SC/300DR and I am in no hurry to change

1 Like

Hey HH, although I’ve not got my 272 yet I’m thinking about giving Roon a go, in part to see if it as good as most people say and also to future proof the 272 just in in case something happens to Tidal functionality, which I guess is possible on the old platform. So my question is how do you get the 272 to show up as an endpoint or squeezebox (is my terminology correct?) without also investing in a UPnP bridge.

@trickydickie is your man. He uses it for Roon on his NDS. It’s far too complicated for me. I simply can’t be bothered and am perfectly happy with the Naim app. I have my 3,500 albums on the Qnap, don’t use or want online streaming and can find all I want to play without the help of an algorithm.

Actually I do use a bit of online streaming. It is carefully curated and brings me all sorts of new music. It’s called Radio 3, and it works very well via this funny metal thing that’s attached to our roof.

1 Like

Connect a chromecast audio to it for example. There are many roon streamers on the market that can sort it out. Me personally cannot hear any difference between the CCA and the 272 streaming board.

1 Like