Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

If you love the 272 and you would like to see it updated with latest Naim streaming technology please just click like … I am after a huge number…its up to you guys now…

194 Likes

Bump

2 Likes

Great initiative!

6 Likes

Cheers…I know Naim watch this forum…so in order to get things moving everybody needs keep posting …likes cheers…
Roo

4 Likes

As well as a new platform 272, I would like to see an ND555 level equivalent.
Something to compete with the Linn Klimax DSM & noting the K-DSM does not need an external PSU.

4 Likes

I think if the 272 had the new streaming platform it would probably match or be close to the NDX2
… maybe they could add another power socket so 2 burndies could be used…maybe that would improve things…

5 Likes

I agree. When I was at the factory last year I was speaking to Steve Sells. Inside the ND555 is a large empty space and I suggested he put an analogue volume control in there.

I like the idea of an updated 272 and then a posher version without an onboard power supply and capacity to take both feeds from a 555PS.

I’m not going beyond the number of boxes I have. A ND and a 552 would mean two more boxes and splitting the rack, which isn’t going to happen. It would also need over £20,000, which isn’t going to happen either…

That said, the 272 with 555 is extraordinarily capable: as Richieroo said elsewhere it may have upset the applecart by being too capable.

One other thought - back in the day Naim made a 42XO, a 42 with onboard crossover. Imagine a 272XO - just plug in two power amps and active with no crossover and power supply required. A 272XO/555 and a brace of 250DRs would be just brilliant. I chose my 300 over active 250s as with the latter there are simply too many boxes and bits of wire.

7 Likes

Per my post, I would like a ‘posher’ 272 to be like the Linn KDSM with no external PSU, there are no PSU upgrade facilities with Linn. They have been all SMPS for their products for numbers of years & I’m not at all convinced Naim have done enough in that area.
I’m looking for box count reduction, & I guess Naim might not like that idea, but my objective is a top end streamer-pre driving active speakers.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree, though whether Naim will ever move from their huge toroids I don’t know. I’ve been tempted by the KDS and some ATCs but I love my speakers too much.

3 Likes

I like to keep to 4 boxes also as that is the sweet spots. If there is a new 272 on par with NDX 2 and using only external PSU, I will jump to it and get rip of my 252/SCDR and NDX 2. Not sure Naim will like that idea or not :thinking:

3 Likes

2020 would be a great year for Naim to introduce a successor for the 272, wouldn’t it? :smiley:

7 Likes

Yeah…2020 …Brexit buster…

1 Like

Bump

2 Likes

The only extra box I’m looking to add to my system is if I replace the 250 with a 300 amp. Thus if the 272 is not replaced then my streaming front end will stay as it is. Other than the 300 I’m not looking to increase the amount of black boxes or create a second stack of Fraim. If the 272 is not replaced then I would look to spend my money upgrading the turntable.

4 Likes

Likewise. I jumped ship recently and probably wouldn’t have if a 272.2 had been available. The 272 certainly looks the odd one out amongst the current streaming products and, in its current form, surely can’t be all that long for this world. A streaming DAC/preamp with a quality pair of active speakers makes a really nice minimalist system and can offer great SQ.

Roger

8 Likes

So in terms of making sense of the range, what is the rationale for Naim to make and for owners to buy NDX2/SN3 vs 372/250?

Me too.
I would love to get a Naim streamer/dac/preamp that had no internal power supply and took two Burndies from a 555PS.

5 Likes

Source first principle I would say. I didn’t want to wait, so went for the SN2 and NDX2. The NDX 2 is a brilliant streamer, so it is going to be hard to beat and can be upgraded with power supplies and the interconnect to the pre-amp of the SN2.

Seeing that the tread is still here, I’m not expecting an update to the 272 to be around the corner.

I am hoping Naim is working on a 272 successor. At the moment I am using an Atom as streamer/preamp which works remarkably well. But there is definitely room for improvement, so I am ready for it. :grin:

4 Likes

I’ve given up on the wait for a 272 upgrade but wishing to keep the box count down gone for SN3 and NDX2 with Hi Cap and XPS DR.
I’m doubtful whether Naim will ever update the 272 and at my age can’t afford to wait any longer.

3 Likes