Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

Fault 36 just popped up on screen when it was sitting idle. A power cycle cleared it initially but has occurred a couple of times since. Sometimes it takes a few power cycles to refresh it clean. I have also done factory reset as suggested by Naim support…

While running a few dropouts have occurred, I originally put this down to network issues but after several days of debugging have come to the conclusion it is the black box. I am currently running 272 through headphone socket out to Sonos 5 to finally confirm the dropouts, I realise this may be omitting some of the preamp but good to bottom it out.
It is pretty desperate listening for something not to be there but on some occasions it was happening every 5 min 22 seconds, sad I know :roll_eyes:
I can’t say for definite that dropouts are a symptom of Fault 36 but both mean box has to go to Salisbury whenever.

Obviously it was unlistenable, I have managed to cobble together Sonos / rdac into old Arcam Solo, just waiting for phono to xlr cable to utilise 250DR to see me through shutdown.

Are you using the latest firmware?
(I still haven’t got round to updating mine).

100% agree! Bearing in mind how many customers want a new 272, it would be great to get a definitive statement from Naim.I suspect that Naim would love to build a new 272, but possibly can’t get anything that satisfies the price/performance criteria they feel would be right. However, electronics seems progress iteratively and maybe that situation will change in the future? Perhaps that’s why Naim can’t, or don’t want to be definitive now, in case there’s a development that delivers what Naim feel they need for a new 272 project to be a success. It’s frustrating, because I wanted a new 272 a lot, but I respect Naim and feel if they haven’t released a 272 successor there’s a good technical reason for it.

If they would only let us know :bangbang:

Most of us bought Naim because we liked it, it isn’t really a VFM decision.
If we have info then we can commit to go higher or lower, twist or stick. Twist being the only loss to Naim.

In my position I have to commit to repair in any case otherwise very expensive doorstop.

CK

1 Like

Hi

I am currently on 4.6 so one behind like you.

From some reading here Fault 36 appears to be hardware related ( @Stevesky )

Was cautious to update in case it would brick it.

CK

1 Like

Inline with the economy now and the likelihood of an imminent global recession.
I would be intrigued on Naims business plan going forward. Global sales could be interesting for some time to come and investment into new products maybe on the back burner for a while…

1 Like

If a successor for the 272 would be announced, based on the new modern streaming platform, I will be very much tempted to buy one for the living and move the Atom to my home office.

Damn … Munich would be in a month, isn’t it?

I’ve just noticed that you can leave a review on products on the official Naim site, I’ve just did one for our beloved 272 and surprisingly the first. 5 stars of course. So get on line and do your duty.

1 Like

It was my understanding that the 272 had been discontinued but it’s on the website large as life, but there is no sign of your review. The V1 and 100 are also there, and I thought they’d also been discontinued.

Yes, you are correct. I asked Richard early today why it hasn’t stuck but he couldn’t help. Strange as I got the confirmation email as well. I’d say they don’t want it up. I’ll email marketing in the morning.

The review is there now, it’s quite sad as I appear to be the only one that seems to have bothered to write a review any product.

I’ve now done one too. Whether it appears I don’t know. It’s strange that the 272 is still there under products when it’s been discontinued. It seemed to vanish for a while. Maybe it’s risen from the grave…

2 Likes

Good man, don’t you think it’s strange that nobody has done on any product.

It is a bit, though I’m equivocal about these reviews on manufacturer’s sites. I guess it’s the modern world.

I don’t do surveys or respond to any companies requests, but it is Naim, a brand that we all support.

I have just posted a review as well - I really hope this unit gets fully updated. By the way thank you for all the members contributing to this thread … I really hope it pays dividends! Meanwhile keep safe and healthy…
Kind Regards
Richieroo :nerd_face:

1 Like

So there should now be 3 reviews

You might think that, but in the murky world of the Naim website yours sits in splendid isolation.

Mine took a few days to drop. Maybe the marketing department needs to vet the reviews before they stick. It does seem strange though.