Lp12 upgrade with Aro

So long as there is silicone fluid in the bearing housing and it the cup turns within the housing without any grittiness then it should be fine. The pivot point should be nice and sharp too - not much you can do these days though if it’s blunted or, in the worst case, bent. The only other issue that can be a problem is the special conductive paint that runs the ground through the arm. This can lose effectiveness and may need touching in.

5 Likes

@Richard.Dane Wow this was fast.
So it is fine that it looks a bit wet inside (pin and the pin joint). But not clear what I have seen as my eyes were better in the past - especially near field.
Can I see it there is paint getting worn out. The white cable was fixed - is it mass?
The movement was totally fine - no scratching heared - no grittiness The previous owner had it for over 20 years and he is even more sensitive with his gear as I am

An early one is fine too?

1 Like

I get myself in all sorts of done up and done side ways
conditions while listing to my Aro. I can contest Lyra have an equally solid build :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In all seriousness I’d wouldn’t bother with a lifter. Using my lp12 all I do is put a set of cheap reading glasses on rest the outside of my hand against the top of that part of the plinth and lift and place the stylus call it an organic lifter if you like, you just need to be careful it’s not rocket science.
If you have a shaking issue then yes maybe use one other than that nope. If It down grades the music then out the door with it.

2 Likes

The early ones are fine as long as they have been looked after, they have the naim logo on the head shell where the newer ones do not. Don’t try to clean the Aro with any type of fine sand paper or grit cleaner, they aged, its ok still plays music the same.
So many threads in this forum about them all the information you need is just a search away. Don’t expect to get it setup perfect from the very get go (my experience anyway) took me a long time to get it to the point where I think its grooving nice. Once you start thinking omg it’s amazing you’re there so stop adjusting till the next cart. Also read setup instructions as the stylus weight setup not like other tone arms.
Enjoy the music.

1 Like

If the fluid is missing there is a strong chance the ball-bearing will also be missing. As it will at some point have been turned upside down.

What is The Ball bearing? The Little plate where the Pin goes in?

2 Likes

No, the pin goes into a jewelled cup.

In answer to your earlier post, if it sounded good to the previous owner and they had no issues then it’s likely fine. Just be sure that there are no air bubbles in the silicone in the bearing pillar (that’s what can feel gritty when you twist the top of the pillar - twisting it gently back and forth should eventually get them out and it should feel nice and smooth).

1 Like

And make sure not to over tighten the grab screw that holds the bearing assembly in place and at height. Just a wee little bit of toque is needed to hold it in place. It is really very important for the sound quality.

1 Like

Wow - that is exactly What phonosophie adviced. Just came of the phone with them. Twisting the pillar Gently for the ball bearing to Go smoothly - he adviced to do this now and then. He will all die this when it is in his Hands for Installation on my Deck.

Thanks a lot!
Will be done by a Professional / Really Think he Knows that.

Hey Drago, I see you’re a rather large Naim lover! So it’s best to get the best from the best!!! Enjoy the music!!!

1 Like

Thanks a lot
Deal done - will pick up the aro (inkl another phonosophie no3)
Plus aro matic (maybe i will use it - dont know yet)
Phonosophie is located 20 min away - now i have an advantage :rofl:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.