Lp12 upgrade with Aro

Hi, Im finally about to replace my well used white collar bearing to a Cirkus bearing. (Gotta be careful what you wish for, I’ve herd that…)
id imagine that the lp12 will need to be turned upside down on the jig at some stage, my question; do i need to worry about the Aro’s internal fluid escaping? If so what is the work around. I’ll say it before someone else does, don’t flip it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but seriously I would appreciate any wisdom on the subject.
Thank you

Take the arm pillar out of the collar, tiny Allen bolt. Keep the pillar upright at all times, or you will lose the fluid and the small ball bearing.

Obviously you will then have to reset the VTA afterwards.

Good luck.

1 Like

thank very much. i can what you mean :pray:

Hi Colluwobbles, just read an old post where it had been moderated concerning the name (or a link)of the Aro lubricant. Could you remember the name of that specific lubricant?
just check my one and it’s fine but would be nice to have some for a service while i’m playing in the sand pit!
cheers :clinking_glasses:

I don’t know what the fluid is I’m afraid, someone gave me a small amount. What I can tell you is that is is very thick/viscous.

I would imagine that Cymbiosis near Leicester would be able to advise.

I’m sure someone on here may know what it is.

2 Likes

thanks, probably best i leave it alone as it seems to be just fine. Atb

1 Like

fyi, i’ve decided to not do the bearing upgrade at the end of the day. i’ve decided it’s just hifi and not musical enjoyment. the old lp12 aro is so enjoyable just nuts good. lush doesn’t even start to describe it. i’ll hold on to the upgraded bearing and do a sub chassis at the same time when and if it happens. what was i thinking……. hifi, just dumb. got to be careful what you wish for imo

3 Likes

Very sensible move - if happy with it, good to stick. Leaves more money for music and other good stuff !

Can’t beat the Aro when it is on song. Fiddly little beast but I love it !

3 Likes

I try to hitchhike here…

I found an ARO for my phonosophie
It is mounted on another phonosophie TT - so it must be working.
Is there anything I have to look for - any parts to check?

There also an aro matic on the deck. Is it really so bad - like to idea of a lift.

Thanks

You get used to no arm lift but it helps if you can steady your hand on a nice stable plinth rather than a bouncy arm board. plucking the arm by the finger lift from the middle takes a bit more practice but comes soon enough. A DV17D3 proved very tolerant of mishaps when I first got an Aro.

3 Likes

There is an Aro-matic included which does not look so bad - but maybe it is :slight_smile:

I think @Richard.Dane can explain best… :open_mouth:

The Aro-matic came about mainly to appease those dealers who reckoned they could never sell the Aro unless it had an arm-lift of some kind or other. Unfortunately it gained a bit of a reputation (not unfairly) for every now and then trying to catapult the arm top off the pillar. Best avoided.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: :slightly_frowning_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

This could make an informative - and amusing - FAQ perhaps…?

Thx a lot. Oh dear - meaning the aro could fly from the bench easily when lifted. Looks so solid…

Just hang on tight and don’t let go of the lever…

1 Like

Now that I’d not heard before, though I’ve sent the arm bouncing across a record on a couple of occasions in the early days, there might have been slcohol involved. That’s how I discovered how tolerant the Dynavector Karat 17D3 is as it survived both mishaps.
I have a Tigerpaw Elevator which has never tried to launch the arm but bolting it to the arm board has a slight negative impact on the sound so I forgo the convenience.

2 Likes

The Aro was not designed to have an arm lift. I’ve never felt I have needed one.

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane
Had a log look on the aro.
Looks all fine and is complete.
But it is an very early model with 59xxx serial. One of the first. Cosmetic condition is good so far.

Was the aro improved over the years or is there anything that needs attention and service. The cables has recently been fixed again by phonosophie (they know the aro very well and do an excellent service).
Is there service needed to any of the parts?