Luxman

Deleted, please remove.

1 Like

Well, a brand new unit arrived this morning. I let it acclimatise for 2 hours before powering up, then tested to see if silent. :drum:

I’m extremely pleased to report that this unit is both dead silent when powered up and not playing as it is whilst playing a disc. :tada:

I’ll not report anything detailed yet regarding the sound as it’s only been playing for less than an hour. I will say that there is a nice body to the sound already.

So I will probably keep it powered up for the next few days and play disc after disc. Interesting to see/hear how the sound matures. :grin:

20 Likes

I’ve been waiting a long time to do this!

15 Likes

Congratulations on getting a replacement, you say this one is dead quite. Can you hear any transformer noise if you place your ear close to the player?

I have to literally touch the player with my ear, near the transformer end to hear it. Even then it’s a faint sound.

As soon as I start to move my head away, approx 12 inches there is nothing.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the reply. That seems to be the same as mine, i compared mine with the dem unit at the audio consultants and that was similar. So that is good to know.! Hope you enjoy it, it really is a great player.

1 Like

Have to say even after approximately 5 hours playing, Jazz is coming through really well.

Double bass has weight, piano too but delicacy there when needs, hi-hats lovely and clear, dulcet tones of saxophone and can clearly hear breathing, beautiful sound of Chet’s trumpet. Pleased that nothing sounds shrill or edgy so far. Lots more listening to come but I’m quite pleased.

5 Likes

Wonderful player I’m very jealous. :+1:

2 Likes

If the Denafrips Venus II sounds like that, I’ll forget about it. The Luxman sounds a bit like that. May I ask what DACs in the price range of around £2.5k new or used that sounds good. Lifelike with an organic human touch, extended highs with good clarity and detail, doesn’t roll off anything in the treble and good defined bass. A digital that doesn’t sound mechanical or digital.

Your Linn Organik DAC looks like a premium piece so I’m not surprised it sounds excellent.

Deleted, please remove.

1 Like

Many thanks @Pete_the_painter , I have to say it’s sounding lovely already.

It’s also a joy/pleasure to use. Pressing the buttons is just a great feeling, you get this haptic feedback that just makes you smile :grin:

The disc transport is another level. Once again, just a joy to observe it opening and closing.

2 Likes

Deleted, please remove.

1 Like

200+ hours :scream:

I am so looking forward to the journey :grin:

It’s just passed the “shrill/brightness” test. Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley

Eva belts out some serious high notes on certain tracks and this easily shows whether a system/component is bright. Pleased to to say the Luxman D-10X isn’t.

No, haven’t heard Luxman Amps but I love my Burmester Pre/Power anyway. Would still like a listen though someday.

1 Like

Unfortunately I do not have one, but I would really like to buy it, and if you buy a new one, I think it is too expensive.

Deleted, please remove.

1 Like

It’s now been one week since the D-10X arrived. It hasn’t always been powered on during this time but has been powered up for the last four days. Playing time approximately 50 - 60 hours as of this morning. Physical media that is.

So today I decided to push it and do some critical listening. Various genres, classical, pop, rock and acoustic. Either CD or SACD.

I have to say it’s been wonderful. It’s a slightly different presentation to my Burmester 151 streamer but I am thoroughly enjoying it.

It’s got vast amounts of detail but never pushes it in your face. It’s light/delicate on its toes but then has loads of power when needed. The tone of instruments is really pleasing and seem very real as is the human voice. You can feel/hear guitar strings being plucked and the different tone of drum skins being hit is great. There is a lovely weight to bass notes or certain piano keys.

I have to turn the volume up compared to my streamer but its output is lower via balanced out so that’s understandable and not an issue. I think a great source for Naim preamps as you will get a good range on the volume pot.

Voltage out on both RCA and XLR is 2.4 Vrms. For SACD, 1.3 Vrms. This in my experience so far seems correct as I’m having to dial volume up considerably more than used to. Not an issue as plenty more in the tank. :wink:

Of course, I have many more albums to play and hours/days/weeks to listen so all good here. :grin:

As already mentioned, the player is a total joy to use. So tactile, built like a tank and totally silent. Once the mechanism closes it holds the disc like a Swiss bank vault. It hasn’t skipped a beat so far.

9 Likes

Playing now. Glen’s voice is wonderful here. Real substance to his vocal. Great master this album.

Reunion: the songs of Jimmy Webb - 2001 - Capitol Records 7 2435-34956-2 6

3 Likes

Excellent its a brilliant player hope you have many years of listening with it…

3 Likes

Wonder if it’s just
the front end that’s regulated? Almost no amps are fully regulated to include the output stage.

Interesting. True balanced will double its output. My Chord Hugo TT2 in Dac mode puts out 2.5mv single ended and 5mv balanced.