Lyra SPT

A stylus brush just removes fluff, Green Paper cleans and polishes the playing surfaces on the stylus and make a noticeable improvement in SQ.

The Green Paper is actually 3M diamond lapping paper as used by jewellers.

1 Like

Yep, I did read your previous post on the difference :slight_smile:

I only recently bought my DV10X5, it came with a brush, and instructions to use the brush and a mild dedicated stylus cleaning fluid. I can see how a mild solvent applied with a brush can clean the tip and sides of a stylus.

I’m just not entirely sure the green paper, used flat, would dislodge material from the side of a stylus? Is the groove depth of the same approximate dimensions as the particles in green paper? Or is the action of dragging the tip along the paper sufficient to loosen debris?

I’m not desperate for a mechanism to explain how the green paper works, if it just does. But am nevertheless keen to understand, particularly as there’s at least some ambiguity around how it should be used

At the risk of repeating myself, I apply the stylus cleaning fluid (with a fine, small cut-down bristle paintbrush), then scrape the stylus from back to front with the green paper before each LP side. It takes a few seconds per side, and there is zero risk of cantilever damage, provided that due care is taken. With a new LP, it is sometimes necessary to repeat the ritual a couple of times.

This post has overlapped with one just posted by gthack, but I hope that all is clear.

You’re thinking flat but with some pressure on the paper it will slightly curve matching more closely the profile of the tip. The contact patches are microscopic and only on the very tip of the diamond comes into contact with the vinyl.

I use a carbon fibre brush to remove visible fluff and a Dustbuster mainly. A few scrapes with the Green Paper every few LPs or more often if I think it needs it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.