Mac mini Satechi Dock & Storage Hub?

I’m looking for a USB-C dock / hub that includes extra storage in the base, and I keep coming back to the Satechi Mini Hub & Type-C Stand. A long shot, but does anyone have any experience of this unit or can recommend a similar device? Will be hooked up to an M1 Mac mini via USB-C.

1 Like

No experience of this, but I do like the idea. You could add a 1TB drive and use for an extra Time Machine backup

1 Like

Had a quick look. Just realized, there’s a discontinued and a new version. (Plus one, without storage.) I hope I look at the right one. (The new USB-C, with NVMe storage option.)
Subjective comments:

Pro:

• Trés chique, at least on picture and for permanent installation.
  • Additional / easy to access (depending on placement) extra ports.
  • Included, for stationary Mac mini “quasi-permanent” storage.

Possible cons:

• Hub is only powered via USB-C, no extra power supply. They note, that especially the USB-A ports provide little power, and only 1 power consuming device should be attached at any time.
    So likely fine for mouse/keyboard, the occasional USB-stick, the SD cards, but not for power hungry devices or to load multiple mobile devices in parallel (or bigger iPads at all).
  • It will not provide super-fast-speeds like Thunderbolt 3/4 docks; especially for the SSD. However, when that’s not needed, it’s of course also significantly cheaper.
    It should be fine for any “normal data”, any backups, and likely also for hosting applications which are not super-IO-intensive. (Just like an external USB-SSD with maximum USB-C 3.2 Gen 2.)

Improvements over older model:

• More flexibility with SSD; when buying new ones, I’d choose a NVMe model over SATA.
  • Faster USB speed on 2 ports.
1 Like

Looks fabulous

1 Like

I’ve seen those and often wondered about getting one as they’re a neat matching solution.

Provided it can provide enough power for your needs from the Mini’s USB-C port it looks a potentially good option.

1 Like

Thanks all - very much appreciated :sunglasses:

I’ve been doing a bit of research on these sorts of devices that can sit under a Mac mini, and there are quite a few on the market, but there are some which seem to have reliability problems and regularly dismount from the Mini, despite being permanently connected - frustrating in every day use. Ideally I’d prefer one with a dual 3.5” SSD and NVMe SSD enclosure, of which there are a few, but these seem to be the lesser known brands, and hence mixed feedback online.

The Satechi does seem to be the model that receives the better reviews, hence my long shot question here to see if anyone has had a play with one. I’m leaning towards the latest version of this unit with the up to date NVMe facility. But I’ll do some more research first and also scour Youtube today for a little more insight as to what’s out there, especially the Thunderbolt 3/4 docks as @PhilippVH mentions.

After moving everything from my work room while the builders are in, I found that I have eight external DAS drives dotted about the place, which is kind of ridiculous! So while I have the time i’m going to go through them all, and then consolidate and simply the external storage files as the data storage here is bordering on chaotic.

1 Like

There’s a review on 9-5 Mac comparing both old and new version’s from a couple of days ago, if that helps.

2 Likes

Works great for me. Been using one for a few yaers.

1 Like

@Cmax & @kuma That’s great - thanks both! Will read the 9-5Mac review later.

:+1:

1 Like

My father uses one on his M2 Mac Mini and we installed a (I think) 1 Gb SSD in the dock. Works perfectly. Silent and quick. We did not dare to buy a cheaper one as this one got very good reviews. He is very happy with it.

2 Likes

The new one seemed to have improved specs for 2 of the 3 USB A ports when I looked last night.

1 Like

You’d think Apple would be able to come up with their own matching expansion dock in this day and age rather than all the bloody useless short adapters they sell!

Wish they’d go back to more ports on some of the machines, but suspect most youngsters just do it all in ‘the cloud’.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m pretty sure I’m going to plunge, but it looks like its only available on the US site direct, or US Amazon, which is fine but take a few extra days to get to the UK.

Now researching makes and models of NVMe drives! Thinking of sticking to Western Digital unless there are better makes - suggestions folks?

1 Like

Could have sworn Amazon UK have it.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll take another look :+1:

Last night both models were on the same page with a button to select each one.

They are now on separate pages. Assume the cheaper one is the older version.

2 Likes

Ah, can’t find the NVMe model only the SATA one or one without an SSD slot.

Maybe the newer one is out of stock.

Dark grey older version without SSD has 25% off voucher if anyone has one of the later Intel Minis.

2 Likes

You’re Right, definitely there yesterday.

2 Likes

Just FYI - I can see this one in the DE Amazon store…

1 Like