Mac -> NDX2 direct network connection

Like many others, I’ve been evaluating whether I need all of the tens of devices I have powered up in my home 24/7. Some of those devices include additional networking equipment for my system - especially Cisco 2960 switches that provide network for my NDX2 and Mini Mac Roon server. As an initial bid of madness, I wanted to simplify and see how bad things would be if I stripped back to wifi… not great, it turns out.

Second attempt; a peer-to-peer network… I run Roon on a Mac mini (2018 i7), which supports ‘internet connection sharing’ (see System Preferences → Sharing); connect the NDX directly to the Mac with a single ethernet cable (I use designacable) and the Mac gives the NDX an IP address and routes traffic to the internet via its wifi connection. I’ve found this provided quite a surprising improvement to my system - others may disagree, of course.

The only downside is that as only Roon is on my home network, the Naim app can’t talk to the NDX - but if you use Roon primarily, and a remote for volume, it’s not that difficult to switch to wifi for updates.

Sharing in case anyone else might benefit from this arrangement.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.