MacOS Catalina Update - Roon Core cannot access attached SSD

You don’t know for sure it’s Roon Labs that’s the problem. Maybe it is. They are possibly [likely, IMO] in the Apple developer program and have been working with Catalina since the first developer beta releases. Maybe they reported issues that Apple didn’t get fixed. Maybe it worked fine and Apple made last minute changes that broke how Roon Core works. Maybe Roon Labs legitimately misused an Apple API and it broke with Catalina. Maybe it’s down to a weird user-error issue that worked before and doesn’t now. We just don’t know, so it’s not very constructive to lay the blame on Roon or Apple if you don’t have the back story.

I deal with similar software engineering scenarios all the time. It’s the nature of the beast. The fault behind software bugs isn’t always obvious to outsiders. Now if I was running Roon Core on my Mac – and I really cared about it continuing to work correctly – I personally would have waited to upgrade, to see if there were any issues with applications I care about. That’s where I would also keep an eye on the Roon Community forums to see if anything is reported.

As it is I upgraded to Catalina right away, but I don’t run Roon on a Mac and I use a client laptop running Windows 10 for my mission critical software development work. If I ran Roon on my Mac or I was using it for active software engineering projects I would not be on Catalina just yet. Thus, my advice which others liked, but you think ill-conceived. In the end I would cut both Apple and Roon Labs some slack. It’s a new major OS upgrade and poop happens. :slight_smile:

Yeah, 13 seems to be a buggy mess for a lot of people. Chronic dropped calls is an ongoing problem for many. I’ve been OK with my iPhone X, but I have a new iPhone 11 Pro Max arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to the instability…not.

Is anyone able to say what the problem is for some with Roon Core and OSX Catalina?
I have the two running perfectly, there was no glitch at all, so a little intrigued to what I must be doing differently.
I notice there was a recent update Catalina … not sure if that improved things … as I never had an issue I can’t comment.

Simon

It appears to be in accessing external music storage when the Core is run on a MAC upgraded to Catalina. If the Core is elsewhere as in my case then the Roon App works fine.

Even more bizarre then, I have my media storage (and Roon back up) set up as external AFP network mounts, and resides on my media NAS and backup NAS.

I see Forbes is recommending that anyone “lucky enough to be still” on IOS 12 stays there for now because the latest bug fix IOS 13.1.3 doesn’t fix the dropped call bug.

I’ve had lots of issues with iOS13 on my phone and iPad and Catalina on my two Macs has been even worse. Quality control at Apple hasn’t been flash for years now it seems.

Currently having to purchase my third MagSafe2 power adapter for my MacBook Pro, not great :frowning_face: Had a look online and lots of bad reviews. No Apple exchange and repair program, they seem to be having a lot of problems with various products

1 Like

I think I’ve had a few dropped calls when talking to my wife, but it could have been her end. She’s on hospital phones that use Android and she has problems with them all the time.

Had a very interesting email from Roon yesterday. They pointed out that the Catalina issue has now been fixed, apologised for the delay and stated that annual subscribers (me) would get an extra month free while life time subscribers will get £60 vouchers.

I thought that the email was excellent and when I updated Roon on my Mac sure enough it was all fixed.

Shame about the delay but a good result in the end.

Excerpt from Roon email:

Roon 1.6 (Build 475) is live for macOS (Catalina fixes)

Apple recently released a new version of macOS, code named Catalina. This version introduced a new requirement that forces apps to request permission to access certain system resources before using them. Apps that don’t make this request are denied access that was available in earlier macOS versions. Catalina has caused many apps (including Roon) to be denied access to functionality that was previously allowed.

Today’s Roon update introduces compatibility with Catalina’s new requirement, but getting this out the door took longer than we would have liked. A fix like this would normally be fast to release, but in this case, it required a change to how Roon is built, packaged, started, and updated. It affected application infrastructure that we didn’t expect to have to change between minor point releases of an operating system used by millions worldwide.

Apple does release beta versions of their operating systems to help prevent these kinds of issues, but they don’t disclose the production release dates of those versions in advance. In the past, we’ve started testing early in their beta cycle, but in our experience most issues are resolved by final release without any changes to Roon. In the future, we plan to test earlier in the beta to identify and avoid being surprised by changes of such unexpectedly large scope.

As a token of our gratitude for your patience and understanding, everyone with an annual subscription who may have been affected will have their current subscription extended by one month, and for our lifetime subscribers, we’ll provide you with a 60-day gift code to share with a friend.

Thanks as always for your support.
The Roon team”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.