Macs and nas

I’ve searched but I don’t know if a nas drive has to be formatted for Mac or anything else if it’s on used for music on a streamer and part of a Mac setup?
Thanks

No need to format the nas disks for Mac OS.

4 Likes

And to expand on that, NAS drives need to be formatted for the NAS operating system, not the potentially many different computers that may be on the network.

Exactly. I have a Synology NAS, Roon Core on an Intel NUC, and clients on Mac OS etc. Disks are formatted for the Synology OS.

Thanks
So any computer Mac or pc will work with them? Allow me to edit and add music eyc

Yes, you’ll need to enable SMB if it’s not enabled on the NAS.

If it’s a Synology you can also enable it for Time Machine backups.

I have a Synology NAS and a QNAP NAS and we’re an entirely Mac based household. Once the NASs are set up, you can add music to them, edit the metadata etc straightforwardly using Finder in Mac OS. It all works together pretty seamlessly.

Roger

1 Like

You’ll need a metadata editor such as dbpoweramp. Buy either the Mac or the Windows version as required, which goes on the computer. Then load the relevant version of Asset on the NAS.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.