Mains extension blocks

Wouldnt the Wireworld be wasted that way considering that 4 of its sockets would not be used?

i don’t think it will be wasted. Anyway it is not very expensive and 4 socket don’t exist.
You have 4 sockets in furutech or nordost powerblocks, but they are much more expensive.
The most important is the power cord from the wall to the powerblock, from what i read sometimes. So try to have the best you can or want buy…( minimum the price of the wireworld matrix).
You will not regret it, from my experience.

1 Like

Thank you. I intend to get a Naim powerline lite (like the one that comes with the Nova) so hopefully that should be good enough

good idea, i was thinking of that also…

You mean the MCBs should be type C - rather than type B which is standard for most UK domestic circuits.

1 Like

You should not judge according to concepts such as not using all sockets. It’s about a clean supply of power, and how the HiFi component fit together to form electrical networks (even the socket order in a daisy-chained socket arrangement can matter). You should experiment with switching off (rather than standby) things like tv when listening to music - you may hear a difference.

Phil

The Nova, P3 and phono stage can go in the wireworld, probably in that order, the rest on another block, preferable in a different wall socket.

1 Like

That sounds a good idea and something I can do. Can the P3 definitely go in the Wireworld? It is not one of the dirty sources is it?

I run a turntable ps between an ND555 and a supercap on my block though it’s not a Rega. I have run a Rega DAC on that block too while I was waiting for the 555 and never had a problem with the sound of the system at the time. On the subject of Rega, best to use the power cables that come with them or Regas own reference cables, Naim powerlines just don’t suit Rega kit.

2 Likes

better put the rega on the other block. It’s a smps.

I am suspicious about the Rega TT PS for RP10 even - I keep it away from my boxes and on the dirty ringmain. The RP8 is SMPS on the socket. It’s best to experiment.

Phil

3 Likes

I keep the Rega RP8 TTPS on a separate ring and block.

3 Likes

Will experiment with the Rega to see if i notice a difference in the sound quality. What about the Anthem AV receiver? Can that be plugged in the Wireworld with the Nova and the phono stage?

The other cable I was considering was Wireworld’s own Stratus 7 cable. However I am not sure how it compares to Naim’s Powerline Lite? Both the same price.

it can’t be night and day…choose the wireworld, it goes with the block.

Hi, I’ve just had my ears opened further to the difference the star earth of the Grahams Hydra makes to the sound of my system (282,HC,250, both DR, Dynaudio speakers and Nordost Red Dawn cable). This happened by chance because my 250 kept powering down after switch on. Advice from the forum identified it as a switch latching problem, suggested a way round it, and all is now well.
This powering down problem had happened years ago as well. At the time my dealer thought it may be the power lead and a new one seemed to do the trick, so I tried a different Naim mains lead this time as well - it made no difference. But after the switch latching solution, I forgot to return the Hydra mains lead to the 250.
I like to revisit my old records after an upgrade (Mana steel spikes replacing their original metal ones, in this case), but was disappointed when one of them actually sounded worse - lacking in energy and a bit of a plodding bass. As it was an old recording I put it down to that as everything else I played sounded more enjoyable.
Then I remembered to return the Hydra mains lead to the 250. I was surprised at the difference it made to the sound - it was even more exciting and that old record now sounded much better, as I was expecting after the Mana support upgrade.
Like a lot of the contributors to this thread, I thought my amps were star earthed as the distribution box lead went into one socket. Even replacing the Hydra lead from the 250 still meant the replacement main lead ended up in the same double wall socket, so surely the single earth point was maintained? So what else is the Hydra doing for me to notice this significant improvement in sound when the 250 was reconnected via that? My thoughts are that in the Hydra, all the individual mains wires are almost exactly the same length when they are joined together, in all other cases the wiring in the distribution box resulted in slightly different lengths before the wires joined together and the star earth was achieved. Just my guess - all I know is how much more enjoyable the sound of my system became when the single earthing point was achieved via the Hydra. Others may consider checking the lengths of the wires in their distribution boxes, it might make an improvment to the sound of their systems. Maybe only the length of the earth wires is significant, I don’t know. What I do know is that the Hydra has improved the sound of my system compared to my good quality distribution box. Best wishes, Amer

2 Likes

When I had my two Naim boxes wired into one UK plug (effectively a hydra) it sounded good but when I then purchased two PowerLine Lites and gave each box it’s own socket it was even better. The sound fleshed out even more and has been more consistent ever since. I don’t question such things like I used to and now just get on with enjoying the music instead. Perhaps there is more going on in those Naim plugs than what meets the eye…?

1 Like

Well, the mystery continues to grow as to whether a Y or V design of Hydra is better than or equal to or worse than just plugging the same type of individual cables into the wall - or using different types of mains blocks.

Hi Stephen, totally agree with the point of just enjoying the music! Best wishes Amer

1 Like

Hi jim,
One can easily find themselves in a bit of a conundrum with such different ways of connecting up and everyone will obviously form their own opinions as to what works best for them, so no easy answer i’m afraid. The only real way is to find out for yourself which can also be a bit of a journey in itself.
I have tried various solutions myself but never quite happy with any of them because of the what (if)? going around in my head all of the time. I was quite glad when Naim released their own design power leads in the end as it helped put to bed all the uncertainty in myself with my system. Now I just have a separate radial circuit into one double un-switched socket and using PowerLine Lites, keeping things simple and no more what if’s? If I need more sockets I shall just daisy chain in another socket(s) and carry on enjoying the music.

Maybe you can trial a Grahams hydra lead to start off with and see how you get on? Personally, I have found the twin socket with PowerLine Lites the best solution, but you may not agree of course, each to their own.

Sorry to confuse you a little, it wasn’t intended. Perhaps I should refrain from posting what worked for me and try to help you instead.

Best of luck!