Mains extension blocks

MPW - probably better for another thread - but
A - No

B - This is the wiring on an IEC plug I had to hand - you can see Earth in the middle with N to the top and L at the bottom

If you look at the rear IEC socket of your SN2 then you’ll find L is on the bottom of the socket.

I’d suggest you have other problems causing your noise so I would recommend starting another thread - start with a full description of the system, what is connected to it and what the issue(s) are.

1 Like

MPW, if you are curious about the polarity of your mains then I would suggest, for safety sake, using an induction pen. This will show you the live pin or socket without any risk of electrical shock as no actual contact is required.

2 Likes

Jim - I not sure how many sockets you need but a 4 way with a 10m cable is listed on the Big River - Pro Elec PL09184 10m 4 Way Gang Mains Power Extension Lead Socket Cable. This is what I’d look for to power the other bits of kit. If you want something more then talk to someone like CHC or Mark Grant who can make you a custom extension lead with as many sockets, lead length you require.

1 Like

…or one of the cheaper MCRU offerings. They can make them up in any length you want, or sell you the components to assemble yourself.

2 Likes

Good point Chris - MCRU do some decent kit with the DIY option too.

1275935422_FI-E30%20_R_%20B1_w450_h400 LES_161101_1902_stack%20(2)
I am building my own powerstrip,a friend who is a cabinetmaker manufactures a PowerStrip-box, and then I mount 6 pcs of Furutech FI-E30 NCF Rhodium socket in the PowerStrip-box.
They cost per piece in Sweden £41:-,…See picture.

Then I pull a new dedicated power-cable from the Fuse-box in the house.
The same cable I also use between the connectors of my PowerStrip-box,…See picture of the cable.

The cable I use (as seen in the picture) is Jorma Design Duality Power cable.
A prize winning Swedish Powercable 2018.

It will be interesting to listen to the results.
This will be a slightly more expensive solution,… but still cheap,then I do all the work myself.
But a cheap and good solution is Musicline,as many have also said.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

Peder, yes, please do let us know how this works with whatever you plug it into.

Can you get the sockets with earth pins to match the hole in the plugs so the polarity is fixed?

I was not able to read 268 posts in here but from what I gather the Wireworld Matrix 2 has good reputation. My question is how much can it handle? Can I plug the Nova, turntable, phono stage, TV, AVR and BR player to it? Also is there an agreement regarding the power lead to use with it?

Also, anyone know if Wireworld Matrix 2 is better than Tacima CS947?

Personally, I would not mix Nova and phonostage with potentially dirty boxes like Turntable PS, TV etc particularly if you have a dedicated supply for the HiFi. You could always use some unswitched sockets on the dedicated radial instead.

The further you can keep these dirty things from HiFi the better. Some do the AM radio test to see how much RFI the various boxes produce.

Phil

Depends on the TTps, some of them aren’t a problem so that’s one to experiment with but generally anything with a switching mode ps is suspect and is best plugged in as far from the Nova as possible, electrically that is.This is where a dedicated radial comes in handy but failing that a different ring is better than the next socket on the same ring and that is better than on the same block.

1 Like

I use 2 Wireworld Matrix II strips. One is connected to the wall by a Powerline and has all my Naim Black Boxes plugged into it and the other Matrix strip has all my (noisier?) SMPS powered network devices plugged into it (router, switch, UnitiServe, NAS). This way I have tried to physically and electrically isolate the sensitive devices from the noisy devices as much as possible.

I have to start by saying that I have always been a little (or even very) sceptical about the benefits of so called ‘audio quality’ mains extension blocks. I have a fairly expensive distribution block for components in my main system, but hadn’t bothered about my second system or other appliances on my network up until now. A week or so ago I decided to replace my distribution blocks with built in surge protection circuits (most of them) with cheap blocks without surge protectors and LEDs. Not an expensive exercise, but one that didn’t bring with it any discernible difference in sound quality one way or the other - exactly what I had expected to be the case.

I retained one distribution block (used for my 2nd AV system) with surge protection because I decided on a whim that I would replace it with a Wireworld Matrix II block bundled with a Stratus 7 power cable just to ‘have a go’. Right up to the point that I swapped it in earlier on today, I was completely sceptical and pretty sure that I had blown £200 for something that couldn’t possibly make any difference.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. To my complete and utter surprise when I powered up the system the difference (for the better) was immediately noticeable (I was going to say ‘massive’ but that would be a very subjective comment).

I still find it difficult to accept, but I’m not complaining. I’m now somewhat of a convert.

3 Likes

Luckily, I didn’t use the phrases ‘night and day’ or ‘my jaw dropped’ when I described the difference.

Someone’s watching! - check out the Forum clichés thread.

3 Likes

:small_blue_diamond: Hmack,…Welcome into the gang,I drew my first dedicated electricity to my Music-system 1986,…And after that I’ve never looked back :smiley:.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance but I am not sure what a radial and what a ring is?

I have 4 double sockets in the lounge walls where I can plug the equipment I have.

The equipment that will be plugged in these sockets includes: Nova, Rega P3, Graham Slee phono stage (with PSU1), BK elec subwoofer, Anthem AVR, TV, BT router, home phone, WDTV, Nest Thermostat, game console and a couple of table led lamps.

I already have a Tacima CS947. I plan to get a Wireworld Matrix 2 (with a Naim Powerline lite). Whihc devices should I plug where?

PS: By the way Wireworld doesn’t supply a 2 or 3 way strip does it?

To avoid a very long discussion, a dedicated radial/spur is mains supply only used for HiFi so as to reduce the impact on the HiFi equipment from other household devices. There is so much on the old forum archive about this subject, that it would be best to search it instead. You could try searching this forum using suitable key words, but there is not much.

I think going by your list you need to give it serious consideration. I’ve given my short list of what will benefit this way. Do your reading on the old archive and ask questions then. The dedicated supply might cost from £300 upwards depending on your installation. Naim recommend 10 sq mm cable from ideally a dedicated CU with a slow trip (type B I think) which needs to deal with the initial surge when a big power supply is turned on. That won’t apply to you at the moment! The benefit is better SQ. Needs professional installation to your local standards. Probably said too much already.

Phil

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation Phil. Unfortunately that is out of the qustion for me. No intention of going down the route of professional installations of mains supplies. We are planning to build a large extension and maybe then I can ask the electrician to install a separate supply just for the hifi equipment. But for the time being the Wireworld Matrix 2 is the only thing I can do.

Are we saying that I need to plug the Nova and the phono stage on the Wireworld Matrix and the rest of the equipment in the other sockets and the Tacima?

yes

1 Like