Mains issues

And do your dedicated hifi lines with the AQ power cords give significantly better SQ than the main house ring?
The reason I ask is because I’m deciding whether to get a dedicated radial or put the funds towards a better power amp, a PSU, or a 272 upgrade if and when that becomes a reality.
My impression is that about 60% of people who got a dedicated radial love it and got a big upgrade in SQ - and for the rest it did nothing for them. I can only recall 2 cases (one of which is yours) where it made the sound worse.
My house was built (with not great materials) in 1987, so the existing wiring is over 30 years old. But it sounds good as it is…

With the addition of the cords (used NRG4’s and 1 Thunder) yes; dedicated lines unquestionably more impactful and dynamic, which suits most of my music. Before cords, no; too harsh and compressed. I know not why. But the old ring also sounds much improved with the big cord on it.
I’ve been through 5 years of changes and upgrades to every part of system including when I had Naim and, following my power experiences, now believe that power comes first, not source, if you’re aiming to get the best out of gear resolving enough to show the difference. Today I’d start with a dedicated ring (not a radial - which is controversial) and good power cord(s). Before the cords, vocals were recessed in my speakers. I blamed them. The cords liberated the vocals from the speakers and made the overall sound more dynamic. The performance of the speakers went to another level. It’s really not subtle. Someone wrote somewhere what’s the point of developing an F1 car and putting garage pump unleaded in it? Conversely, there may not be much point putting rocket fuel in a Fiat Punto; rather upgrade to a better box, first…
I think a dedicated line is worth prioritising only at a certain level. I don’t know where that is! I did it at 252/250 but I expect it would show benefits lower down the ladder, too. I think it cost me about £350 all in for the first line. Not a lot in the scheme of our gear…

1 Like

I originally installed dedicated mains on a 72/hicap/180, and the sonic difference was huge. So it’s worthwhile at a much lower level than 252/250.

3 Likes

Yes, if I can it be done for £350 that will be fine. (Someone on the thread I started on radials said they paid £800 - but then perhaps they used cord like your Furutech and had multiple long lines).

So why would you ‘start with a dedicated ring, not a radial’?
At the moment I’m asking electricians to quote for a radial, as per James N’s diagram on this thread: Is there a FAQ on having a dedicated HiFi Spur installed in your house?

:small_blue_diamond:Eagle3333,…No…Wrong…!!

A dedicated line matter,…Whichever level you are on.

Think of houses,…A good house is built on a solid foundation.

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

Sure - but you wouldn’t put a tent on a 6 foot deep concrete foundation. That was my point…

Yes that cable was nuts money but I was getting a bit desperate… Prysmian/standard 10mm is inexpensive - though it depends how long is your run, I guess. Mine was only 7’; and I don’t believe you need an expensive audiophile CSU, though others may disagree. Pic of my set-up; pretty typical.
Ring because my experience showed it to be a bit warmer sounding and not quite as brittle as the radial. I read someone else found same, somewhere. But it’s not the general observation; though I’m not sure many have compared.
I think there’s loads of info and some very experienced people here. There’s a great diagram higher up this thread…

Anyway, I’ve sold all my unused audio and climbing gear, and I’m selling my modern first edition collection (including James Joyce, T.S. Eliot, Burroughs et al). This will provide a few grand for a power amp and perhaps even speakers, and the ritual element of ‘sacrifice’ aids negotiations at the Irrational Luxury Budget Rationalization Committee.
So hopefully a new line will have a new Naim box to fire electricity into!

1 Like

Quite a sacrifice but sounds like an excellent plan. Welcome to the world of dry crackers, water and a full loom :slight_smile:

ILBRC - nice! Allow me to tweak to the Budget Rationalisation for Irrationalities Committee - or ‘The (insert appropriate adjective) BRIC’. Not that I harbour any past bitterness.

[quote=“JimDog, post:89, topic:391”]I’m selling my modern first edition collection (including James Joyce, T.S. Eliot, Burroughs et al ).
[/quote]

A sacrifice too far, IMO.

Are you sure you’re not in the grip of a bout of upgraditis which is making you do things you might later regret?

I might be.
But I can always re-read those books in a reading copy.
I stopped reading fiction many years ago (except Houellbecq).
I no longer climb ice or rock, so it’s sensible to rehome that.
And I want to focus my funds on getting the most out of 1 source - streaming.
So overall it’s not as daft as it may sound.

1 Like

I did something similar a few months ago. Decided to stream only. Turned in FM, CD Player, external Dac and downsized from BMW and went big with an ND555/PSU555. Got it in December. Never looked back, sounds magnificent and no regrets. Good Luck JimDog.

1 Like

I just spotted this public domain comment from elsewhere:
“this would be my answer - system is fed by its own fuse box, with not radials but 4 & 6mm rings coming from. For power amps a ring will give potentially twice the current delivery. I started with a radial feed for the power amp (other end of room), but when looping up to a ring the bass was markedly weightier. But then the max consumption is 2kw each mono…”
and
“As regards hifi dedicated ring or radial, as I’ve mentioned above, my choice would be the radial, which is used throughout the world except in the U.K. The ring main was an economy measure (copper price?) introduced after the war. Strange that nobody else copied it !”

1 Like

Peder
Does your group use dedicated radials or dedicated rings?

I have been talking to an electrician friend of mine about a separate HiFi ring or radial and separate CU as mine is full. He has done quite a few for some of his customers and reports that some of his customers have reported good results, but others have said little or no difference in sound quality. Unfortunately its the majority who noticed little or no difference.

One hint he did give me was to run a good quality extension lead from either a socket along side the consumer unit (if you have one fitted) or from the nearest ring socket to the CU and see what difference it makes. In my case the CU and Ring Socket are in the hall. If it works get it hardwired in, if not leave as is.

He has also just attended the latest IEE wiring regs course (and been inspected) and informs me that all new consumer units have to be in metal, and you have to have a surge/spike protector which is about £75 to replace if it blows.

Alan

I can confirm the metal boxes, but my sparks did not install a surge protector.

1 Like

Would love to know how many of each.
Does he use 10mm cable?
Does he do rings or radials or both?
Did the ones who noticed no difference live in houses that had already been rewired?
Did he earth the new CU back to the meter, not off the existing CU?

Jim - As you’ve found with the many replies to this query here (and in the fishy place) opinions on this vary. If it makes minimal difference then at least you know that for now and for all future upgrades, your mains supply is as could as it can be and your kit has the best chance of working at its best. To give you a guide I paid £650 for mine and for the SQ gain and the consistency in system performance, regardless of what else is going on in the house, it was well worth the money. One of the boxes that gains the most from the dedicated supply (when it comes out for a play) is my little Nait 1 so there are gains to be had, whatever the system value.

James

3 Likes

…I sold my Audi A5 to fund my amp. The Frod Galaxy is better for my back. I never look back, either. Unless I come upon a shiny A5 in the street. But it’s getting easier :slight_smile:

Hmm - not sure ‘nearest ring socket’ is useful test because it’s still on the ring and subject to all its noise…?

I got my sparks to loose-run a ring with a socket from the dedicated CSU across the floor to the hifi so I could compare with my installed radial. Much cheaper than having it fully installed and then deciding it’s of no use.

Ultimately though, like James says, even if little difference, it’s great to know the foundation is there, regardless.

1 Like