Mains leads and their fuse ratings

Thanks to you all for your thoughts and replies. I ducked the lightning by unplugging but these are big transformers to power up and down. I’ll keep a careful watch out. It might be as well to swap out those on the 135s as well.

To help the OP identify his cables, the Naim ones would have either MK or Crabtree plugs on them, as far as I know, but I came in on the classic series. What came with olive and earlier I can’t say but I’m sure someone on here will know.

1 Like

Crabtree on all my olive gear, 1997-1999.

1 Like

I’ve got MK or Crabtree on all of it, 1995 - 1999. It’s my later items that have MK.

1 Like

AFAIK… a standard Naim power lead comes with a 13A fuse.
MK or Crabtree plugs were standard fit.

But… a Grahams Hydra comes with a 10A fuse (well, my 4 head one did - and has an MK plug).

1 Like

Most of my stuff dates from 1991-1997, definitely have Naim leads with MK plugs. Maybe some Crabtree too.

Having now found my CD 3.5 the mains lead is non-removable (no IEC socket) so not for that!

That looks like Grahams have fused the assembly for the IEC320 (C13) socket(s) official 10 amp rating. What are cables sizes? ……

Same as Naim power leads - which is what Grahams Hydra are made of… :astonished:

The stnd Naim cable is 0.75mm2 & this is rated at 6 amps, so if Grahams use a 10 amp fuse to comply with the C13 socket rating, maybe more correct to use 5 amp to comply with the cable rating.
Whatever, we won’t solve idiosyncrasies of the UK ring main on the forum. I’m sticking with my 13 amp fuzzies. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

If I might go back to fuses….

I’ve been looking for Littelfuse T2.5 cartridge fuses and can see a part code referenced in other threads that is also available from an online retailer.

However, the fuses I see for sale are T2.5A, but what I have removed as blown were T2.5AL. Wanting to match manufacturer and spec I’m wondering about the ‘L’. I assume it could be important……

Yes it’s important, it means Low breaking capacity.
The alternative is ‘H’ for high breaking capacity, if there is no letter after ‘A’ (amps) its non-specific.
It’s highly recommended that you purchase fuses from a Naim dealer, avoid look-alike unbranded fuses.

1 Like

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.