Manfred Eicher And ECM's amazing recordings

The Matinier/Sedikki is really exceptional. It’s different and thoroughly enjoyable. Sometimes I think we need a break from ECM. While the recordings are technically superb they can sometimes lack warmth and vitality and it’s nice to try something different. The ACT label has loads of real gems.

I was really pleased to see that this is being pressed again, albeit looking at the river the preorder price is somewhat hefty. Last week I became aware of the hi res dsf version that was released to HiRes Audio last year and succumbed to the temptation of downloading it and it sounds very good. A quarter of the price of the new vinyl (but I am sure that will sound lovely though).

Hi - it’s 188 on proper music - the distributor for U.K. with an 11 postage charge. Expensive but limited to 2000 copies.

The dsd files are the same as the limited edition (900 copies) Japanese sacd layer that came out a couple of years ago. Good to hear it sounds good.

1 Like

I personally lost interest in ECM recordings today. A bit agree with HH.
The music lacks today some originality, life, creativity. The recordings are well made, the music well played, on the soft and nice side, but lacks, for me, the great ECM spirit of the 70’s. Jan Garbarek, Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie, some Keith Jarrett…it was something and totally new and inspired.
But it’s first a matter of tastes. Perhaps I didn’t found those nowadays ECM albums which could interest me.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say I’ve lost interest, rather than the genuinely inspiring albums seem harder to find. That said, the new Joe Lovano is excellent and thoroughly enjoyable. I suppose I enjoy the more accessible stuff - Tord Gustavsen, the Manu Katché albums, Anouar Brahem rather than the more esoteric stuff, though the Jon Hassell album ‘last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street’ is absolutely wonderful. Then it’s more of an ambient thing than jazz.

It’s worth remembering that there is some superb stuff in the New Series - John Holloway, András Schiff, and of course the wonderful Anja Lechner. Her recent Schubert disc with the guitarist Pablo Márquez is lovely.

About a third of what I listen to is from ECM.

But, as I only recently discovered ECM, most of this is mining the label’s amazing back catalogue.

Keith Jarrett, solo and in groups, is a storehouse of brilliant music that will last me for years, as I only had one Jarrett CD in the past.

I plan to keep mining the back catalogue forever, and also enjoying the new stuff.

A great track that brings a frozen world to life.

Is this track supposed to be called Lotano?

Looks like a typo!

It’s a typo. Should be “Lontano II”

Yes, but was it a typo on the original release that has never been corrected?

My original copy of this record spells the track as “Lontano.” The listing in Discogs reflects this. “Lontano” is an Italian word meaning “distant” and returns over 40 million hits on Google, whereas “lotano” returns around 230,000. My money’s on “Lontano” being the correct, intended version of this spelling. :innocent:

1 Like

Yes, it’s defo that track.

There’s a post further up this thread where I listened to numerous versions of Lontano, going back to Ligeti.

I just looked back at that post and I spelled it correctly there, so this must just be a Qobuz typo.

1 Like

Richard Williams as ever elegant and informative review of the Jakob Bro album many on this thread like. From his excellent Blue Moment blog - well worth a regular read.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I enjoy all of Jakob’s albums and enjoyed the brief review of Jakob’s album ’ Uma Elmo’!

I’m listening to Uma Elmo at the moment. It’s my favourite of Bro’s ECM recordings, and a superb trio performance.

1 Like

If you have Tidal the Ethan Iverson ECM Artist’s Choice playlist is excellent.

1 Like

A lovely concert.

5 Likes

Actually listening to this right now off SHMCD. Probably my favourite solo Jarrett out of many great released concerts.

1 Like

Just giving this a spin.

It sounds amazing.

The bass is so rich and Gary played it like a fiddle.

The three of them together, genius.

1 Like

I’m excited for the new AAA vinyl reissue of Jarret’s Sun Bear Concerts, due for U.S. release 3/19. I actually have two copies ordered, to make sure I end up with a defect free copy.

1 Like