Manfred Eicher And ECM's amazing recordings

i didn’t watch it yet…

ECM 50 th anniversary in South Korea

image image image

Looks like it sounds good! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Right now listening to eponymous album by Terge Rypdal.
It is really superb!

Great recording and lovely interplay between the band members.

Reminds me of Zappa, Caravan, Hendrix, Robocobra Quartet…Peter Green, Coltrane…even a bit of Miles in the mid70s!

(A real treat is that I can listen tonight at volume 29 (loud for me) because my kids are out.)

2 Likes

The ECM collection is fantastic and sounds so good on my system. I’ve delved in to a lot of the above but there’s quite a few there I need to investigate so thanks Lontano for the prompts. If ECM was all I could listen too I’d be quite happy although it can be a bit introspective, great artwork too.

1 Like

Just listened to the track “Lontano II” on the LP Terje Rypdal.
Then the track Lontano by György Ligeti - one of the recordings by the Vienna Philharmonic.
Then the album Lontano by Tomasz Stanko (which seems to be listed on the Naim app as being by Anders Jormin).

I am speechless.

I literally need to go and lie down now and have a kip…

1 Like

A useful gig list of ECM bands gigs:
https://www.ecmrecords.com/concerts

Might be something of interest there @BertBird ?

Thanks for the call out definitely helpful, and some interesting concert in 2 hours distance

1 Like

HH, how big is the difference nowadays in your system between a good streaming service and your NAS on ECM music?

Or how large was it when you last had Tidal/Qobuz?

And do you intend to stick with the NAS or upgrade it some time, or get something posher like Innuous or Melco?

I ask simply because I can imagine building a library of ECM music and other stuff I love and getting a digital store and player if the difference is large and likely to remain large for yerars to come.

But if it’s small and getting smaller as streaming SQ improves, then I’m happy to wait for the SQ gap to reduce over time.

Because not getting a posh store/server and not buying a library would save me a huge amount of hassle and dosh…

I don’t use a streaming service - I find it too confusing with almost infinite choice. I’d rather know my music properly. I’ve no intention of getting anything other than a NAS. Melcos and the like are just a NAS in a posh frock.

2 Likes

Manfred once removed his complete catalogue from streaming and it was gone for a few years. They have now put it back out there to see how it does but no guarantee it stays as it only earns them a few peanuts…

1 Like

Hey thanks Lontano.
That’s v useful to know.
So probably there will be intermittent greying out of tracks and albums, or just a blanket withdrawal at some point.
So then I will be forced to get a nas of some kind.
Unless a streaming company caves in and pays ecm properly at that time.
The question then would be whether that would draw enough users to that streaming company to make sense.
Or another option would be for ECM to set up its own streaming service somehow.
I just say that visiting the ecm website today it was striking how hard it was to do simple tasks like sign up for a newsletter and buy a cd.
A pretty looking site but v hard to use for me at least.
It’s useful to know what’s likely coming down the track.
Cheers
Jim

Have you tried a Melco or similar at home?
Or at a dealers or friends houses?

No.

1 Like

Jim, the site HIGHREZ AUDIO has the biggest ECM catalog to download. For high quality nas, you can also look at Innuos zen . A lot of ecm cds to buy at cheap prices and rip with the innuos. Melco have no ripper.

1 Like

Other than this, of course.

1 Like

yes, i was referring to the melco nas. The ripper itself costs 1k…

Yes, so it will be a tough choice next time I spend on hifi.
Either:

• Qnap type nas and files
  • posh nas and ripper and files
  • speakers eg Kudos or Dynaudio?
  • NDS and 282
  • 372 (yuk yuk)
  • hifi radial
  • Musicworks block?!

i wrote that because you were often wondering about nas or melco recently, and now something to store hirez ecm downloads…

Yes, thanks FR.
The key question, to which no one (except perhaps Mr. eicher) knows the answer, are
Whether internet streaming will close the gap with local streaming so the nas becomes redundant?
Whether And when ecm will withdraw its music from Tidal?

But I suppose in the latter case I can just buy and nas and rip cds on my pc using Asset, which is not majorly costly.

My system sounds so good now that I’m reluctant to tear it up, without knowing whether it will really sound better.

E.g. if I buy an nds I lose the 555dr on my preamp…

So really I’m on a delicious plateau, where I’m very happy to remain listening to the music…