Maximum capacity SD-card slot Naim Uniti Star?

If you rip on a non-Naim device you can use FLAC or WAV, and you can easily convert between them at will. (If you use the Mac to play them as well you could also consider ALAC or AIFF).
You can use a metadata editor on the Mac to correct any errors or to add artwork. I use Metadatics which works well, but for ripping as well you should consider DBpoweramp.

Playing the music on my MacBook Pro is not what I planned to do. The Mac is just easier to use as a device to rip cd’s. I certainly consider DBpoweramp, hopefully it can download the images and other info.

Yes, DBPA is a fully fledged ripper and metadata editor. They are also the developers of the Asset UPnP server which you might consider using if you want to store music away from the Star and use its network connection.

I used a 512gb card with the Star and it worked fine.

1 Like

Conlegno, this is a nice surpise for me!

Did you use the Naim with the sd in the rear slot to rip music?
Did you try to place it in f.e. a sd-reader connected to a pc or Mac with the same results?

Yes it was connected at the rear in the SD Slot and i ripped my complete cd collection to it.

No problem accessing it on a pc with a usb card Adapter but bear in my mind that the Star has its own way of managing directories which may or may not suit your purpose.

To beat everyone so far: I have been using a 1TB SD card in (the rear SD card slot of) my Star without any problems. :expressionless:

1 Like

Wow! We have a winner! :sunglasses:

It would be very helpfull if Naim’s helpdesk could explain why they mentioned 32 GB in the Uniti Star info.

1 Like

As I suggested earlier in the thread, Naim say what they know works, not what they know doesn’t. Probably at the point where they specified the Star, the idea of SD cards with hundreds of GB would have been dismissed as unlikely anytime soon.

I’ve mentioned this before elsewhere, this is the kind of tech. Info. A decent owners manual could cover, amongst many other things it seems your supposed to know!

2 Likes

I am going for the experiment, trying both. So the WD Elements Portable 1 TB via USB and the 512 GB sd-card in the rear slot.

1 Like

Similarly the track number limits are not a brick wall beyond which you cannot venture, but rather a tested limit that Naim can guarantee the hardware can handle.

FWIW, I have a few devices where the SD card limit is relatively low today but was probably seen as ample 5 or 6 years ago. They work with larger cards, which is great, however, the larger the cards are the devices do start to struggle a bit. Take the Ponoplayers as an example. IIRC the card limit is 64GB but I’ve used 256GB and even 512GB with them. The only issue is that things like start up initialisation and file transfer really slow down with the bigger cards and every now and then the large cards aren’t recognised and need a reboot.

Thanks for this explanation Richard. Sounds very logical to me.
I am busy ripping loads of cd’s, and the Naim Uniti Star is just running fine. In the Naim app I found the possibility to add missing covers of the disks via metadata.

Next step will be testing a set of Focal Spectral 40th speakers, and the Spendor D7.2. It will be difficult to choose which set to buy.

1 Like

Update: Ripped a few hundred cd’s without having any problem. So using a big sd-card is possible.

The Focal Spectral 40th and Spendors did not pass the test. Heading for a new option, Sonus Faber…

There was a time, when SD cards were limited to 32 GByte as such. Then came SDHC and SDXC…
… obviously the drive in the Nova/Star must be one of the latter, otherwise the 1 TB would not work.

Once the drive is „spinning“, the size should not really matter between USB or SDxy - same partition schemes, same file systems, …

If formatting a drive specially for the Uniti 2nd gen (and streamers using essentially the same firmware):
Consider ExFAT - it has macOS, Win 10/11 and Uniti native support, is modern, and has (edit!) no hassles with size or formatting issues.
(Only old hardware with other OS/firmware might not support it. Like older TVs, routers, …)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.