Maybe switching to Naim? SN3, XS3 vs Sugden

Unless you really like your Nait XS3, of course :slight_smile: Demo before buying also helps greatly.

Surprisingly no mentions yet of NAC202 / NAPSC / NAP200 DR as a Supernait 3 alternative.

1 Like

I think you’d be amazed at how it sounds especially for what they can be had for.
My speakers are 4 ohms, so for me its a 130w amp.

1 Like

I was very close to bidding on an SN3 that just went for a real good price on eBay. Pulled out at the list minute- maybe I’m not ready yet! I’m always a little wary about ebay but this was from Gene Rubin so seemed a good bet. I’m sure whoever picked it up will love it!

1 Like

If I went Supernait 2, would that potentially be pushing me towards needing a service soon? Seems like people around here say these things need servicing every 10 years or so, and a lot of SN2’s could 8 or 9 years old. Or is that something more true to older Naim stuff?

1 Like

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Naim stated that the service interval for recapping the classic range of gear including SN2 is 15 years. The earlier ‘chrome bumper’ and ‘olive’ models had a 10 year interval.

3 Likes

Recommended service intervals are in the very helpful FAQ section

2 Likes

Going for separates at second hand prices is a great option, but for me there was a critical difference in the sound that made the Supernait an easy choice.

The 202/200 combo had a curiously clinical sound to my ears, whereas the SN3 has a more organic, almost analog character that I prefer. The 202/200 sounded more accurate and open in a way, but didn’t seem to capture the feeling of the music, which I prioritize. If I had to describe it in terms of frequency response, I’d say the SN is a bit more mid & bass forward, whereas the 202/200 sounds more flat / linear. Lastly, service for these amps is worth taking into account for overall price.

In general, the SN2 & 3 are amazing value for money, even at MSRP. If you can find a SN2 used, I can’t imagine anyone would be disappointed, assuming a good source. They will drive nearly any speaker to silly levels with outstanding control and musicality. I’ve found the SN3 + ND5XS2 has brought me back to listening to music so much more vs the UnitiStar I had previously ( and the star was damn good ). In HiFi terms, the SN is a bit of a sweet spot IMO.

6 Likes

Thank you @edanmars for your articulate summaries of your demos, I consider them very useful for this forum and they also mirror my own impressions from the comparisons involved.

That your preferences are then sometimes different to mine is perfectly fine. Each of us have to follow our own ears, budget, room, system, but it really helps to have these descriptions.

Good to hear you are happy with the SN3 / ND5 XS2 combo! Will be looking forward to reading what you’ll find if you would demo to upgrade the source of that system.

1 Like

@edanmars Your description of the SN3 and ND5XS2 is what I have found too. At first I was wanting more highs, but now my system sounds very organic. Took a lot of break in time. I have not compared my system to other Naim choices.

My next step will be adding Focal vs Utopia headphones going into my SN3.

3 Likes

@Jaybar interesting to hear you found the ND5XS needed a lot of break in time -when I first connected my system from new I thought I’d made a mistake… LOTS of detail but a weirdly strident, hot high end, to the point I was starting to question my purchase.

I left the system playing radio on low for a week while I was away for Christmas and the sound even after just a few days was much closer to what I heard in the demo: highs were back in balance, everything sounded better settled in.

Now, after 3 weeks of playing, I’m feeling like the sound is pretty much fully run in, but I’m curious to hear what others have heard in terms of run in for streamers, as well as amps, etc.

1 Like

@edanmars I can only speak for myself. For the SN3 and ND5XS2 I needed about 400 hours. However there were more factors. I also had a Highcap DR, Chord Shawline interconnects,Spendor A4 speakers and Naim CDP (5SI) and Isotek power conditioner. Basically the whole system was new except the Rega P9 TT. The combination could have accounted for the length of time.

2 Likes

After spending some time on the Nait 50 thread, I’m wondering if I should ad that to my list. Compared to the sugden seems a bit lateral to go down to 25 amps. But maybe better synergy with Neat SX2? Still thinking a XS3 or SN2/3 are what I’m looking for, but people really seem to love that little box! I like its looks!

1 Like

@jpneat Will the Nait 50 offer you enough inputs/outputs? Will it drive your speakers?

Enough inputs and outputs, yes. I just have my chord dac and my tt (that would run from my preamp as line level for now since I use a LOMC) But, driving speakers -not so sure. Neat Motive SX2. @Gigantor gave a really awesome break down of what my speakers require (thanks so much for all that research!) and came down to 25-100 watts. So I guess the Nait would be at the low end of that. My Sugden has 30, but it’s Class A. Regarding Class A on the Sugden, I’ve heard differing versions ranging from the Class A 30w are really more, to when it drops to lower Ohms it’s really low watts, and is really better for higher speakers. Some of why I started looking at Naim though, was definitely to get some more power into my Neats, which perhaps isn’t the Nait 50.

Even a Nait 2 with 18 watts will happily drive a pair of Motive SX2, and during shows Neat themselves use a Nait 2 with the Ekstra speakers.

Bob Surgeoner of Neat in general recommends XS-level and lesser power with the Motive and Iota ranges, and OC and NC for all the higher ranges.
Then there is the odd-ball specific combination like the Nait 2 & Ekstra, and there is a thread here “Speakers for Nait 50” where the Neat Petite Classic seem to be a hit.

The famous “Naim watts” are really a thing, definitely when combined with Neat (and Kudos, who once worked at Neat before going at it alone).

1 Like

I think if you buy a used sn3 you will have an easier time selling it than a used xs3. I have a sn3 i listened to xs3 and with my speakers (wilson tunetot) it just gave me more depth, attack. Could hear more of what the ndx2 brings to the table.

1 Like

Re. Sufficient power, how big is your room? Small speakers small amp, small space… big space, big amp, etc…

One thing I will say, adding power ( or at least a larger power supply ) does seem to have a curious effect on the sound insofar as it seems to add a certain ‘swagger’, added ease, better control, blah blah… while you may not need the added power, bigger amps do seem to add a dimension of control that’s hard to quantify.

1 Like

I just ordered a Supernait 3! I’ll keep everyone posted on how it goes, and compare it to my Sugden.

Really started considering the Nait 50, but in the end, having never heard old school Naim, I don’t think I’d have the attachment that others may.

8 Likes

I recalled having a brief encounter with the Sugden A21 paired with Quad bookshelves speakers (it’s either the Quad 11 or 12) at a dealer’s small listening room. The combo had a very sweet sound coupled with the lushness and clarity the Sugden is known for. The bass was also articulate and tuneful. It might be the sound you are seeking if you can find a used pair.

1 Like

I’m really loving the Supernait 3 so far! I don’t have the Sugden to compare it to right now, but so far it’s really good. I just got some Kudos KS-1 and that’s really made it start to shine! I was waiting on the Kudos order to come in, so in the meantime ran it with Blue Jeans Belden speaker cable. At first, I thought maybe this Supernait 3 isn’t all that- but now I realize the Blue Jeans cable were really limiting it. With the Kudos KS-1 it really sounds incredible! I only got 3M runs, hopefully that’s still OK, after I ordered it I realized the Naim 3.5m rec. Anyways, sounds so good right now, it must be working OK at that length!

3 Likes