Meaningless words and phrases

Uno. As in:
“Well, er, uno, the erm whatsit: uno, the thingamyjig that you, er, looked at, uno, last week. Uno what I mean!”

And that was approximately what someone said to me a few days ago!

“going forwards” irritates me. It gives the feeling that something is “optional” whilst it isn’t.

“In future” is much more straightforward.

1 Like

You’ll have to be irritated then, as I use it a lot. I like it; it’s a good expression.

Yeah, my GP’s not great either…:wink:

And I was like… :weary:

A Wall of Gammon.

To tell you the truth…

These are great! I went from blue collar work to white collar work and after quitting my white collar job, I’m now strongly leaning to going back to blue collar work. 20 years in the corporate world was a de-education. I learned how to replace clear responses and actions with nonsense phrases and procrastination. When I began to feel that “F%&k it” was a more appropriate response than “Let’s table that and double back on it,” I knew I was a dinosaur and it was time to go. I also noticed that I was spending a lot of time grunting in little staccato texts. Lunch? Good? Hella. Duh. My bad. LOL. IMO. I was less retarded when I was mowing lawns on a landscaping crew. At least a lawn got mowed “at the end of the day.”

A speech pattern I hate isn’t a phrase or word, but the habit of turning declarative sentences into questions: “So, due to inclement weather, we will have to postpone Friday’s meeting? It will be less likely to inform our opinions with less people there? So, pursuant to that and irregardless of the weather event, please have your time sheets updated by Wednesday?” I had to fit “irregardless” in there too, but that one is another that is so prevalent I think it is now accepted rather than corrected.

In the US we also have white corporate people who try to talk like they’re in the 'hood, such as using the possessive “mines” instead of “mine.” Don’t know where that came from. Probably the Cash Me Outside Girl.

“Anyways,” those are “mines.”

8 Likes

I always thought ‘noodling’ was something you did on guitar …:relaxed:

‘noodling’ is definitely a guitarist thing, start out to learn a song and end up just noodling, the same thing every time. Its a comfort thing!

Don’t think it does, now. The meaning has shifted.

‘someone famous’ has ‘sadly died’.

Where you present at the death?

LOL, especially used twice in one sentence, irritates me, up there with IMHO.

Is 4 OK?

LOLa LOLe LOLled lusciously, lasciviously licking a lovely lemony LOLly.

1 Like

Agreed. I do it quite often!

IMHO you must be a hyena :grinning:

Sorry Nigel, got to disagree with you on this one.

This chap says what I feel, but far more succinctly. Have a read and see what you think. You never know, it might just change your point of view!

1 Like

‘leverage’ is a far more annoying Americanism.

Completely agree. It’s a ridiculous saying.

steve

Especially as it is usually pronounced with a short ‘lev…’ and not the “English” way with a long ‘leev…’

steve