Meaningless words and phrases

Even worse is “leveraging synergies” which usually means “downsizing” or “right sizing” or “offering new/alternative employment opportunities”…all of which means that people are going to lose their jobs.

And even when they whisper, everybody on the floor can understand it.

Then the English counterattack with their typical humour which only they understand.

Well that’s the situation I’m in. Great fun :grinning:

If you do the ‘math’…

enjoy/ken

'I should of bought a Linn streamer instead…"

It really isn’t accelerating at all.

I recommend The Unfolding Of Language https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0099460254/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5UZ2CbW30R8ZZ as good solid evidence of language as an ever changing feast and all the better for it.

Among the many I hear from English football commentators:
They meet again in two days’ time.
They’ve identified a weakness on the left -hand side.
They need to play a little bit better. (Everything seems to be a little bit.)

Among the many I hear and read from English speakers everywhere:
Past experience.
Track record.
Weather conditions.
At this moment in time.

It goes without saying but any opening statement or response to a question that begins "So " where So isn’t the right context is a massive switch off. It’s everywhere, even people on here open a thread with “So I just bought a widget…” Aaaarrgggghhhh…

The footballer’s reference to picking themselves up and trying again in the next match - “We go again.” really has me spluttering & coughing.

People who write should of, would of, could of, must of and variations of really need to take a look at themselves and then offer to forego the port and brandy instead retiring quietly to the drawing room where lies a suitable revolver.

1 Like

Phonetic mis-spelling by the less well educated.

The of will always be a verb or a verb modifier, unless followed by course - I should of course insist on correct grammar. It beats me how anyone can begin to think that the phrase ‘should of been sent off’ is even close to correct.

Off topic, but this common construction also drives me bonkers:

Sky Sports: Stoke forward Saido Berahino has been found guilty of drink-driving at Highbury Magistrates’ Court.

Really? He was driving at the court?

2 Likes

“beguiling”, the overuse of that one word in HiFi News lost them a regular reader as it appeared they couldn’t write a single review without fitting it in somewhere.

‘But look’
‘In the round’
‘Outside the box’

More heard on Radio 4 political interviews this morning.

When asked a question, the answer starting with “Listen…” annoys me. Not only meaningless but aggressive

My pet hate is “both sides have come to play” WTF, what else would they be doing. :tired_face:

‘as I said …’
‘as I said: ‘as I said …’’
‘as I said: ‘as I said: ‘as I said …’’’
‘as I said: ‘as I said: ‘as I said: ‘as I said …’’’’
'as I said: ‘as I said: ‘as I said: ‘as I said: ‘as I said …’’’’

Rebrand / work smarter / Customer (when working as Drugs investigator)
I have retired early…

Brexit, apparently.

2 Likes

Has ‘on the table’ come ‘off the table’ yet?

G

1 Like

But you really should of.

I’ve got one and it’s the bee’s knees?

Everything produced by Apple’s apparently random auto “correct” algorithm - as in my iPhone’s or iPad’s modification of things I type, aided on iPhone by my fingers too readily touching the character adjacent to the one I intend… too easy to miss if in a hurry, especially with the phone’s screen size.