Melco Mania

How do you define ‘serving files better’ Jim as they both do this in a different way ?

Yes this is correct, its a SMPS on the Nucleus. Roon had been working on a Linear Supply but that did not work out. One poster here used a linear at bout 1000 Pounds from UK–can’t remember the name. He was quite positive about the results. Thought about it but have not bought. Waiting for Roon to do theirs. Like to stay in family.

I’m not saying which is better as a server or for SQ as its all down to the user. I was just saying there is more to these things than hardware, and saying the nucleus is a NuC in a posh case is really not true as the os makes a massive difference to.

Thanks CG - you know vastly more than me about these boxes.
I’m more in the market for a Melco when I can do the proper research and decide which one to go for and sort out the funds…
But all that may be a long way off.

@Michaelb? i think. He will probably manifest himself. He said it’s a huge improvement.

As Frenchrooster correctly remembered that was me. The word on the Roon forum is that they’ve suspended looking for partners for a Roon PSU. The power suppy I have is designed and made by the same guy (Sean Jacobs of Custom Hifi Cables) who was commissioned to design the power supply for the two-box Innuos Statement. It makes a considerable improvement. I’m down on the sunny south coast if you want to listen to the difference.

2 Likes

what is the output: 12v , 19v …? hdplex or uptone audio are very good too. But only 5v and 12v.

19V

Nucleus needs 12- 19v but its recommend to stick with 19v to get best performance and deal with any voltage drops which can happen with any LPSU.

most linear ps have no more than 12v…

Sbooster do one and there are others if you look.

1 Like

you must be right. I was referring to uptone, hdplex and the israeli one. But don’t know all…

Hdplex 200w can do 19v too.

Our HDPLEX200 has a 19V output, a 12V output and 2 variable voltage outputs.
The Prestige 3 server runs perfectly well off either the 12V or 19V outputs.

Best regards, BF

i didn’t remember…had hdplex 2 years ago.

Has anyone compared a Roon Nucleus to a DIY Roon on an Intel Nuc?

I imagine its not far removed or the same if using ROCK.I have not heard Nucleus as chose to build my own MOCK. What the Nucleus advantage is its ready built, plug n play. Full dealer support as well as software support which where a big part of the markup is. It is also built and designed to be fanless that case really keeps it cool and the OS is tweaked to mange this as the hardware is all set and known constant. Using ROCK this is not possible as there are many different ways to configure the nuc and many different cases with different thermal dynamics so there is no thermal management for fanless in ROCK it expects a fan, even though many of us go the fanless route. Roon have warned about this though for the i7 equivalents of the Nucleus as they can run very warm. Not noticed an issue with mine oit might die quicker overall I suppose.

I built my own ROCK using an intel NUC. Was fairly plug and play. it’s interesting when folks talk about the SQ with this CD ripper vs. that - given that the future is downloads. :slight_smile: And Vinyl.

1 Like

Looks like there may be more to come from Melco with regards Roon (as an endpoint i would suspect).

Work in progress…

1 Like

The other thing about the Nucleus is that nothing non-essential is either fitted or enabled. As for the case, it runs surprisingly cool - much cooler than my QNAP fanless NAS

2 Likes