Melco Mania

My dealer told me that he‘s selling more Innuos with roon now- it‘s a simple and hassle free set up that really sounds great. So if you‘ll go the roon way skip melco and enter Innuos…ah…and their Phoenix USB cleaner is a killer…you can even hear the impact of it via youtube!

3 Likes

A question for you guys with A Core, Nuceus, Melco, etc., given that Naim equipment take a considerable time to ‘burn’ in, have you noticed the same with your music library host?

hi Camhuw,…no, the Innous running roon was straight out of the box great. No need for burn-in.

1 Like

Same experience with my Audiostore black box - but every now and then the music sounds harsh. I was just wondering…

The same songs sound harsh or just different material?

1 Like

Songs and music I thought I knew well.
It was just a thought and have not done a comparison between sources (Qnap and Audiostore, Roon, minimserver and Asset). Too busy enjoying Roon and Tidal. I will sit down and compare, but will have to think about what to listen to through the system.

Not at all.
…which makes sens.

I run Roon Rock on a fanless NUC powered buy a TeddyPardo power supply.

1 Like

I was told by my Dealer that the Melco took time to run-in. I did not credit that it could.
But I’ve heard a new Melco at my Dealer change presentation from lean and bright to fuller sounding which I prefer - but other than that I don’t know.

I purchased my Melco ex-dem with a year on it of any run-in; when I compared it to a new SSD version of the same item costing a lot more I preferred the ex-dem one and purchased it. Since then I’ve heard the that there are run-in effects with Ethernet cables so I cannot say with certainty there are no run-in effects elsewhere.

Just because I don’t know how something happens does not mean it does not - generally a good rule to apply to HiFi I’ve found.

DB.

1 Like

On cables hanging freely, I have found it impossible to stop the SL interconnect between my ND555 and 552 from touching the rear Fraim leg. The interconnect rests against the Fraim leg at the bottom of the loop. The ND555 and the 552 are separated by a medium shelf in the brains stack. Anyone managed to achieve a completely free hanging connection ?

Yes.

…you have to angle the ND555 Fraim stack a few degrees (measured at front as about 3" of LH Fraim spike ‘back’ wrt RH spike) until the cable drops freely - if in my case you have the ND555 to left of the 555PS Fraim stack.

I have ND555 on its own Fraim stack alone comprised two Medium levels.
The Fraim stack next to it has two 555PS (on base level and on a medium) and Melco on top (on a standard level).

You will determine that there is an angle at which the SL cable just misses the fraim and the Burndy power leads and drops in-between them freely.

I found it very worthwhile - big improvement in dynamics, freedom and detail.

DB.

DB, How might pipe insulation mitigate the effects of contact with shelves or the floor? Clearly other cables are bad so I am talking about relatively neutral materials.

Phil

I’m just about to sit down and compare sources (Audiostore black box v Qnap with Roon, minimserver and Asset).

I might have to revert to running the black box overnight for a week or so to see if this brightness disappears.

I’ve never had any insulation like that work for me - it ‘alters’ the effect of touching but usually to my hearing actually makes it worse - many others disagree which is good for them!

But I’ve tried all this - with the ND555 fraim move I did not want to angle it (in fact you don’t really notice the angle in my set up) and put it off for months - then the niggling ‘you really should do it’ won and I wish I’d listened to myself earlier and done it then as it was so much better that it was a no-brainer.

I typically find pipe-insulator or bubble-wrap cause blurring at very high frequencies and is not so good with timing. Some of this may be down to Me and Active system - so if it works for another I’m not unhappy - just that I never found that work for me.

DB.

1 Like

What Ethernet cable are you using to your streamer from Melco - it is very sensitive to the wrong choice and can go bright with the wrong cable I found.

DB.

The Ethernet cables to and from my switch and to the black box are bog standard cat5; from the wall socket to my NDS they Chord Sarum tuned Array.

Now since listening to a particular track (Allegri Misere sung by New College Choir Oxford), I can detect a brilliance in the sound sourced from my black box when compared to the Qnap. It’s hardly a scientific test but I think I run the black box on mute for a few days.

With the Melco in my system I connect: cheap Cisco 2940 switch - Cat5 (not Cat5e) - Melco - Audioquest Vodka Ethernet - ND555.

I’ve tried all sorts of Ethernet cables since I determined they mattered - not why, but that they did.

Since in my set-up the switch is not direct ‘in-circuit’ between the database on Melco and the ND555 it seems that only that single Ethernet link needed the expensive Vodka cable. I tried many others and in the end they failed to satisfy even if they did some things good.

My Dealer got a couple of Vodka cables in first time and loaned me one for home-demo - which I ended-up buying after it run-in over a week or two.
I’ve noticed my Dealer now used the Vodka on their own system for demos as they also found it complemented the Melco presentation.
The main thing in using the Vodka cable is for it to run freely off the floor or you will get a over-weighty bass-heavy presentation, which immediately goes once it is free-hanging.

I’ve gone back to using a very cheap Cat5 for connecting Melco to switch as it sounds the best so far - the key with this cable was to physically separate it from proximity with the Vodka and SL Interconnect - then that was achieved (recently) then things were improved.

I’ll try some other cables again at some point, as the gains are obvious with the right combo choices.
Hopefully keeping to the spirit of the thread title! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

2 Likes

my melco opened after maybe 30 hours. The sound was a bit recessed and uninvolving the first hours.

Thanks DB. I will try it next time I take down my 2 Fraim stacks. Quite a job as my LH Fraim brains stack, comprising one tall and two medium sheves, has the 500, the S’Line, the 552 with the ND555 on top and my back is not what it was. May have to wait until a son visits.

Somehow some cables got nudged recently so there was contact. There was a sound change and I tried pipe insulation. I concur with DB.

I have removed the pipe insulation and apart from a small measure to prevent contact they just hang. The sun shines again!

Phil

Hi Camphuw,
I can’t honestly say that I noticed any running in period. This may be because it spent the first 2-3 weeks being loaded up with 1000+ freshly ripped cds. All this before it played its first tune.

What I have found (and fed back to Martin Smith) is the difference that source and ripping codec made when playing music back via a highly resolving system of OpticalRendu, Chord M Scaler & DAVE, Naim 52/135 and the ART speakers.

I compared compressed FLAC level 5, i.e. the Prestige 3 default, FLAC level 0 (compressed by only 30%) and AIFF versions of several cds. In all cases, we had a noticeable preference for the AIFF version. The FLAC versions sound a bit flat, sat on and lifeless in comparison.

AIFF encoded tracks from our Synology DS716+ NAS drive with WD RED Pro 2TB hard drives sounded slightly less alive and involving than a FLAC level 5 rip of the same track that was stored on the Prestige 3’s solid state drive. The NAS drive is connected to the Cisco switch via CAT6 and CAT6A cables, with a Netgear GS108T switch in between, so the NAS drive has more network to connect through.

From all of this, we have concluded that on our system:

1. AIFF encoded tracks sounded more alive and involving than FLAC versions of the same track from the same original cd
  2. FLAC level 0 sounds better than FLAC level 5
  3. The dedicated audio server (i.e. the Prestige 3 with 2TB SSD) makes music sound better than the Synology DS716+ NAS drive with WD Red Pro hard drives, outweighing the effect of AIFF versus FLAC

Hope this helps, BF

1 Like