Melco N10 part 2

That hasn’t been said. The mystery is what is causing a difference if the rips are identical, and it is relevant to ask if the test is foolproof. It is also relevant to ask if the listening tests were foolproof, and if not blind that is not a certainty. As for Audacity, the description was a bit vague. It all could do with more replication, using several different tracks, and ideally sharing the metadara stripped rips for others to duplicate the rests and report.

You where saying that what you ripped was not showing up in Roon after 4 hours. I was just suggesting reasons as to why.

Others really need to have access to sample files as they where ripped no meddling afterwards and then listen and see if they do in fact sound different. They should be provided identical in name, then if they find them different investigate them further by what means they have available and to verify if they are identical (bitwise or not) if they do sound different they cannot be.

Yes, I understand. But 3 out of the 4 have now turned up. The second one ripped has not yet turned up, but will probably be there by morning. What particular setting do you think I should change?

In storage you can set how often library is scanned. Up this. Its likely at default of 4 hours. It does sound like the Melco like most nas devices being Linux based are not sending file updates across the network so Roon is not detecting changes until its performing its own rescan. If music is on the same system as the roon server this does not happen as the os communicates file changes immediately. Its a disadvantage of having music remote from the core. Not a big thing if you change the frequency of the rescan.

A test which is 100% accurate in his steps, process, methods…should be foolproof, not ?
Or perhaps nobody knows how to conduct exactly this test in order to be foolproof ?

Whilst cmp is a tool with which I am unfamiliar, I have no reason to believe it to be anything other than accurate in what it does. Listening tests on the other hand are less certain, unless blind, and better still with multiple people. In this case there were multiple people, which is good, but no indication it was blind). As for Audacity, assuming it is run in a consistent way I believe it would give consistent results and so be reliable in indicating difference, though as it is a visible waveform on a screen, without everlay or subtraction tools as far as I recall, then visual estimation of small differences may be uncertain…

But that doesn’t address the question of why 3 out of 4 ripped CDs have shown up in Roon, and 1 hasn’t?

I pretty much always have to force a re-scan. I don’t add music all that often, so it’s not much of an issue for me.

How do you force a rescan?

Settings > Storage Click the little three dots and select “Force Rescan”

Thanks, but it didn’t show up the missing CD. I’ll bet it’s there by the morning though. It always is.

Sounds like it’s not matching the cd metadata to one in its database. You can check for unidentified items in album search by using focus.

Did you rip them using Asset on a PC the first time?

No. I ripped them to a Unitiserve.

Doesn’t it check that before the rip starts?

I’m just in the test of Melco N1A using it as upnp source to feed ND555. On the Melco are different files ripped by/from D100 (Melco’s CD transport), blue-ray and standard CD transporter (EAC, itunes). The results are interesting! Apart from that, they have wav, aiff and flac files stored to compare. My findings so far…

• I can hear a difference btw. D100 rip and CD standard rip. Especially highs and fine details (strings!!!)
  • Compared the Melco with other upnp sources I have, it’s much much darker, more “live” and shows much more colours…think about a glas of fresh opened champagner vs one glas that stands open for 2h.
  • Compared the upnp Melco file vs roon on Innous (with internal music), the Melco wins. It sounds so natural…
    My summary:
    -if you don’t want roon go for a Melco!!! Easy to use, great quality, dead silence, superior SQ.
    -if you plan to rip your CDs, try to get a D100. do it only once - but if you do it, do it right:.)
    (sorry for typos, i’m not natvie english speaker:-))
    Now I try to convince my wife that SHE needs one…
    ralf
1 Like

I am referring to Roon. It’s not matching whatever is ripped.

Can you be a bit more specific about where I can find the unidentified files?

I will when I am home and can post pictures. Not sure if your used to using focus as it gives you options to filter on certain criteria. Unidentified being one of them.