Melco N10

That seems a bit of a convoluted route for Roon. As the music will pass from the melco to the Nas then back out of the Nas to the melco and finally to the nd555. It won’t go direct as all music goes through the Roon core first. So your using your melco as an expensive Nas to an inexpensive Nas ?

I don’t know whether what you say is true. I do know that connecting the ND555 that way, rather than through the switch, is significantly better. I also know that putting the expensive NAS in the system improved it seriously. I can only conclude that whatever way Roon sends the data is pretty immaterial to the outcome.

If it works and your happy that’s all that matters.

Sorry, additional question. I don’t know how Roon works. Are you saying that the NAS on which the Roon Core is running has an important effect on the ultimate sound quality? This is at odds with my experience.

Not really although some would argue it can or does. I’ve not really noticed much difference between any server hardware and sq. It just seems at odds a bit to use a £6500 high end audio server/audio endpoint to be just a Nas and ethernet switch to an even more expensive streamer and a cheaper Nas. I’m just trying to work out what worth advantages the melco actually brings to this as it seems rather excessive, but then so does the nd555 to me. But I have not heard it so cant really judge.

Go listen!

No point I am never paying that much for hifi however great it might sound I doubt it will be worth the 25k more to me, law of diminishing returns and all that. Happy with what I have right now.

A bit of an impasse here, but I know what I am hearing, and I have never heard music reproduced better. I don’t care about the minutiae of the technology, but it delivers in spades.

i read recently a review of the innuos statement, on ear audio magazine. Jason Kennedy found the best sound quality using the innuos as a nas, with direct ethernet connection to his streamers, ndx2/ xps2, and auralic g2. The usb was inferior for him.

I thought it was a bit odd that Innuos have added an SPDIF output to the entry level Zen Mini, but not to the other models. If SPDIF is potentially superior to USB (at least in the Naim world) you would think they might put it in the higher models.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with RVR … not sure why and really don’t care but the N10 is one of the biggest upgrades I’ve made to my system since the introduction of the 552 .

1 Like

Did you listen to the Innuos as well? I have heard they are the equal of the Melco. I am not in the market myself, just trying to keep up.

I haven’t heard it either but to me its just logical that it must be way better as those cheap switching power supplies are destroying a lot. Thats the reason I would never buy one. Even the small N100 is superior with the option to get a linear supply with it. Has anyone of you tested the Innuos Zenith MK III or Statement yet?

No haven’t heard the Innuos … the N10 is a new product with a separate power supply so may be difficult to compare with the Innuos

Have you changed from a N1ZH or N1ZH/2 to your N10 ?

No … used a Uniti Core previously.

David,
Have you changed from N1ZH or N1ZH/2 to your N10 ?
I also have a ND555 and have a N1ZH/2.
Would your N10 be a massive upgrade or was your upgrade from Mk I to N10 ?

My change was from an N1, with 6TB spinning disks.

David,
I tested the N10 in comparison to my N1 ZH60/2 yesterday and today and it is clearly better.
More details, more timbre in the voice,…
Could not believe the difference, because the N1 is, for me, way better than my Core was.
I also found, the longer the N10 power supply is on (without stand by) the better the sound,
same as my ND555 with 555PS.

1 Like

i found my unitserve/ linear ps and also the core i had at home sounding more involving vs the melco n1, with nds.
A member found the core more focused, with more body of the sound, vs the melco n1. But the melco was a bit softer and more detailed.

The melco n10 is however an other beast…

1 Like