Melco n1h60 2 vs uniticore

my dealer has an esoteric cd player. Do you think it’s possible to use it to rip my cds and connect to melco?

It depends - if the player has a USB3 output then probably yes, but you need to check. The Melco controls the drive and gathers the data via that connection.

DB.

ok thanks. It’s the esoteric x1 i think. I will check.

Regarding the ripping.
Does your dealer do demonstrations?
Does he have the Melco optical drive in stock?
If so would it be worth your while booking a demo, spending about €20 on an ordinary PC USB drive, taking a couple of your CDs with you, then rip with your drive, listen, rip with the Melco drive, listen…
I think that each time you RIP with the same CD it overwrite the file, but it may help you make a decision.

When I do comparative rips I just rename the previous ripped folder- usually a suffix ID to say what it is from, then the new Rip will not overwrite it. Just navigate with a file-viewer and edit, very easy.
That way I’d done a number of Rips from identical CDs and made up my mind on what I wanted.

DB.

he doesn’t have the melco ripper. If he had it i would rip my 400 cds in his shop. I am on holidays.

my 400 cds are ripped on my unitserve. To transfer them to the melco must be a nightmare. First transcode all from wav to flac and transfer to melco. Don’t know how to do that. I feel my dealer will not know too and he will not have the time to do that. It must take several hours and several hours to understand the full process.
So i will buy a ripper or buy something like the innuos zenith mk3.

I don’t understand why you think this would be difficult. Transcoding will take you about ten seconds to initiate, then just leave it alone. The file transfer should be similarly easy to set up, might take a little time, depending on your network, but again, just leave it to get on with it.

Hi FR
So are you keeping your NDS for the foreseeable future?
Jim

Mention of Songkong above, from a Paul Rigby article it looks like Melco are to release a software/firmware update in August that includes this.

2 Likes

I have an Innuos Zenith. Although it was possible to import Naim rips with the Innuos doing a good metadata search of its own, it got the track lengths wrong. Shame as I would have thought that they could have calculated it from the wav file itself. If you intend to use Roon then it ignores the Innuos and gets everything spot on.

Anyhow I ended up ripping again which showed how good a job it does.

Phil

1 Like

yes. It’s a wonderful and stable player. I finally prefer to upgrade other parts. I just bought an ex demo rega rp10. Second step will be a melco very probably.

1 Like

i intend to use the server in ethernet direct. I don’t know if the ethernet direct connection is as good as the melco one.
The melco has a screen too, which is more appealing for me than a metal box case.
But the melco has a ripper. However i don’t project to rip in the future, just have my initial 400 cds.

however the unitserve should rip better than a cheap cd drive in a mac or pc. I am not sure there will be much difference between the serve ripper and melco ripper. Impossible however to compare.
I can also buy it and sell it when my cds will be all ripped.

I decided to remove my very recent previous post as recent personal attacks make it not worth the effort - but you got what I said and I stand by it.

From your previous postings I think you will hear these differences - even my friends who don’t want to hear it can - and they are all Scientists and hard-core Engineers and it annoys them that they can’t understand what is going on.

Unfortunately hearing it is believing I realize, so I only throw out there that there are possible (for me definite) differences and they are not insignificant.

DB.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Darkebear,…Sorry to hear this Darke Bear.

But I’m not surprised.
It seems that some here,.are closing themselves in,and has a little too narrow thinking
It loses them most of themselves.

I have also been exposed to this.
Even a famous trader tried to “Pat me on the head” in the “LP12-Radikal Problem” thread.
But when I posted the facts,so I heard nothing more from him.
It would have become too embarrassing to respond :wink::grin:.

But ignore the “whining nails” as we say in Sweden,.
It shows quite clearly how they respond,.to realize that they have gaps in experience and knowledge.
I appreciate taking advantage of your knowledge and experience,.for you have tested and evaluated correctly to arrive at a result.

And this in a good installed music-system.
So please continue to report your impressions Darke Bear.

/Peder🙂

I’m about - always keen to learn what people are experiencing - it does not need to conform to a dogma for me to take-in the info and make-up my own mind. This Streaming area is more interesting that I at first figured it would be it terms of just how many things can be done to optimize what you have - or spoil it.

There are many facets that you could presume have no effect - and the more you thought you ‘knew’ the more blind you are things that are happening I’ve learned.

I try to base all my attempted progress beginning with sound engineering and physics principles and then adapt to actual experiences as I proceed.

DB.

2 Likes

DB, I read with dismay that you have had to remove posts due to personal attacks. I am sure there are many on here who read with interest your findings and are, like you, willing to experiment and learn, with an open mind. I too am a scientist and engineer by trade and am still baffled when I discover that things that can’t make a difference, do. And I demo stuff to death before I part with my hard-earned!

I would also wager that the old saying ‘empty vessels make most noise’ is true of observers of the world of streaming and ethernet. Which, if true, is a shame as it apparently wrongly weights discussion and debate towards those who give the most vocal and vociferous responses.

So I would ask, on behalf of the quieter, more open-minded part of the community, for you to continue to feed back to this fine place your findings, no matter how counterintuitive they might be. After all, surely we all want to get the best we can from our rather expensive collection of black boxes.

8 Likes

I like your posts and questioning, we can be either sheep or shepards of our own sonic destiny.

5 Likes

i found the attacks unfair. DB is relating only his experience, not saying that it’s the absolute truth.
I am more critical vs some who tend always to prove by science that their theory is above someone hearing.

2 Likes