Melco n1zh/2 vs n1h60/2

My 30 gardeners have done the work before the isolation. Hopefully all my cookers are still at home :grin:

Hi,

As I wrote before, Melco has the Direct mode connecting possibility, where all the network is cut off. You can play tracks, if the Dac is in usb, from the screen. But no remote in that case, and of course no app to control. But it’s possible.

I think that it would be nice to have the direct mode for Ethernet too, not only for USB. It is certainly possible, as long as the music data are in the Melco, as MPD does demonstrate.

Ah ok, i didn’t know such possibility could exist.

Alan can’t comment here on his own products (forum rules). However I have heard from him and he says as follows:

to select DIRECT MODE you simply go:-

MAIN MENU – SETTINGS – NETWORK – PLAYER PORT – ISOLATED MODE.

This will isolate the LAN port (network player must connect to the PLAYER port), and the Melco will become DHCP server.

Lots of other SQ pimps for Melco as well - for example you can turn off Samba share to improve SQ.
rememeber to turn it on again though when you need to move files around.

You can also change from Twonky to MinimServer for another step up in SQ - as well as operational convenience.

Hope that helps. Enjoy the tunes…

7 Likes

And if that is the prime music play mode it could save a fortune on switches and network cables, well as hassle and time trying to optimise them.

1 Like

[quote=“Innocent_Bystander, post:87, topic:7346”]
This would potentially have a positive impact on the sound quality. At least,
[/quote]. ( @nbpf quote)

Not sure the sound would be better. Without doing a test before, and triple blind of course :crazy_face:

Richard, apologies, heat of the moment, being able to answer a query!

Thanks for the advice. I’ve turned off the network share and was already running Miminserver. Unless I am mistaken, I cannot isolate the LAN as I use my Melco as a streamer to a USB DAC.

Turning off the rear led lights, dimming power button and going with a dark front display seems to help as well.

Just for fun, I have a 2nd N1A/2 6TB version on which I’ve installed the latest beta firmware for this model, FW Ver 3.92B and activated a 30 day trial of Miminserver 2. Will compare this to the N1A/2 4TB version which has FW Ver 3.91 and running MinimServer 1.

Should keep me busy for a week !

Antz, if you choose the Direct mode on your Melco, you will isolate it from the network, not?

From Melco website:
There are two methods of operation – Network Mode is the default and allows a Tablet connected to the Wi-Fi to control the player as normal. But for ultra-pure music playback DIRECT MODE can be selected – in this case there is no need for any external Ethernet or IT components, and the Melco acts as DHCP server to the Player. Browsing and control is then from the player front panel.

I think I got it.

Not ideal for browsing but if I was using the Melco as a server into a network streamer like a NDX2 via ethernet, I could use I in this manner, correct ?

And that indeed is the way I had envisaged Melco as a possible option. Pure meaning passing on what is in the recording, no more, no less - and preventing adulteration by anything spurious carried from a network would seem a good approach.

I am not sure. With a Dac connected in usb, yes. But in Ethernet I don’t think so. But you should ask directly on the Melco site. They respond quickly in general.

Yes, but control it from the front panel is not very friendly. You will have no remote at all.
If you like to play entire albums, it should not be a problem.

1 Like

I think for that you should connect the ndx2 in spdif , or usb/ spdif, to the Melco.
But better ask Melco directly, I can say not exact informations.

And to my understanding (using Ethernet from Melco to a streamer) direct mode does exactly that. It shuts out all access on the web side of the device. If I switch to direct mode, I lose iPad connectivity to the app, I can’t access the internet so radio services don’t work and all that I can access are files stored on the Melco using the buttons on the front of my NDS.

Can you press play and immediately hit Direct Mode? If so all it needs for best quality listening is a remote to do that after browsing and choosing what to play, then reverting after. Perfect for album play at least.

With your Dave, you would need to choose and browse tracks from the front panel of the Melco. However I don’t know if you choose first the album via an app, then set up direct mode, the album selected will sill be there.

Hi IB,

No you can’t. You must have the Melco running in Network or Direct mode before choosing songs from the library. I’m pretty sure you cannot swap between the modes whilst playing music, it takes a few seconds initialise the process; it’s not an instant swap.

Sounds like Something for Melco to develop a bit further - an excellent play mode but needs to improve the usability.