Melco n1zh/2 vs n1h60/2

3 different reviewers, 3 different dacs, 3 different systems, 3 different tastes. And some others pointed the same on forums.
However, in your case, you have no streaming board in the Dave. So only the Melco in usb mode possible. Or you should have to add an additional streaming box as sonore, auralic…

And of course, none of those reviews were into Dave… A typical case of having to try different options and compare for myself if/when the time comes. What a PITA - I so dislike auditioning.

Not sure. I will check and tell you later.

I feel that Innuos is better on usb connecting. Just from what I remember, but not precisely.
@Filipe uses it that way here.
Another member uses ndx into Dave .
@Dave uses Innuos in usb, if I remember well. With a Dave? I begin to be old, my memory is fragile :smile:

Here a review published on Ear audio magazine. The reviewer compares Melco n1z with Dave in usb, to Melco / Dave / with additional Auralic streaming bridge.

A more conventional set up using the USB output connected to a Chord DAVE DAC produces an unusually open sound for digital with good brightness and nice even timing on Micheal Wollny Trio’s ‘Big Louise’, here the piano literally shimmers while the bass of the drums and double bass has a power and expansiveness that is rare. A Vivaldi piece played on original instruments, ‘Bellezza Crudel’ (Tone Wik, Barokkanerne, 2L) sounded extremely refined and subtle, not as exuberant as it can but full of minutiae that gave the instruments a realistic timbre. Saying that this is a quick or immediate server doesn’t mean that it’s hurried, almost the opposite in fact, it means that notes stop and start precisely when they should which leaves space for the reverb to be exposed right down to the lowest level. You also get big differences between recordings with the N1ZS/2A, always a good sign of neutrality and transparency. Van Morrison’s ‘The Way Young Lovers Do’ is a little on the thin side but it’s very compelling musically, and ‘Slim Slow Slider’ from the same album ( Astral Weeks ) is nothing short of magical in its emotional impact thanks to the way the Melco trawls so much detail from the depths of the recording.

Used with an Auralic G2 Aries streamer and the same Chord DAVE DAC playing Radiohead once more results in a smoother version of events but even greater musical engagement, with a stronger sense of presence. The sound being more open than some of the competition and delivering fine detail in spades, ‘Decks Dark’ has plenty of deliberate distortion on it but this does not get in the way, if anything the Melco’s ability to separate the various elements makes it easier to understand what the musicians are trying to communicate. It certainly makes you listen longer and the way that depth is rendered is particularly effective.

N1ZS20_FNT.jpg

Going back to a direct USB connection this time to the CAD 1543 MkII DAC makes a good case for this non-oversampling, multibit converter. Here the snare drum on Alfa Mist’s ‘Keep On’ is very convincing indeed and the tonal colour of the organ and bass are given full rein. This proved to be compulsive listening thanks to the quality of hardware and music, those guys know how to lay down a righteous groove. With extended listening you get the impression that this server adds nothing and takes nothing away, it delivers the signal in a neutral and comprehensive fashion. This means that you don’t get the boom and tizz of servers that have been tuned to sound impressive, instead you get something extremely close to what the artist and engineer heard in the studio, loudspeakers allowing. With high res material and DSD files this is even more obvious, the low noise floor of a serious server for means they can’t be beaten when it comes to making the best of higher resolution formats. This Melco reiterates just how important the source is in a digital system, by reducing the various sources of distortion that corrupt data it delivers such a comprehensively rich and detailed bitstream that the results with a good DAC or streamer are astonishing. It leaves computer audio sources in the dust and brings an ease of use that makes listening to great music a more entertaining experience than you might imagine is possible with digital audio.

Thanks FR.

1 Like

Your new Melco sound much better than your previous one you had.that`s what was my impression at that time

MPD (Music Player Daemon, see “wiki ‘dot’ archlinux ‘dot’ org ‘slash’ index ‘dot’ php ‘slash’ Music_Player_Daemon”) is a server-client audio player. It is well established, especially on Linux platforms. Many companies (for instance Bryston, Aurender, Totaldac and Chord) rely on MPD, see “www ‘dot’ musicpd ‘dot’ org ‘slash’ commercial ‘dot’ html”. Most dedicated OS for music servers and renderers (like Sonore’s Sonicorbiter, GenTooPlayer, Volumio, DietPi, etc.) support MPD. There are (graphical and textbased) MPD clients for virtually every platform and mobile device.

1 Like

I believe fr…your next step will be N10 … you’re running like a Bugatti car isn’t?

Hi FF, my Innuos feeds directly to the Linn KDSM.

1 Like

I was half right so :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, Bugatti shiron. I have 3, red, black and green. Next, It will be a rega p10 , when my dealer will take my rega rp10 and Melco n1a2 as exchange.
And perhaps in 3 years now, an nd555.
For now waiting the Etheregen, to go with a linear ps.

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t know you’re Already with 3 Bugatti :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Here my house on the picture, with my cars. It’s my little holiday home.

3 Likes

I will have to install acoustic panels in my living room. On all the walls…

4 Likes

Where’s your red or green … I see other colors, probably you sold them, because you needed cash to buy the Melco

1 Like

I am poor now, only 6 Chiron left.

1 Like

Perhaps Melco owners could share this information with Melco and help them improve their software system.

There is always space for technical improvement and, in a setup in which the data are stored in the Melco and a streamer is connected to the Melco via “Player” ethernet link or dedicated USB, it should be possible to completely isolate the Melco + streamer system (for instance, by pressing a physical button on the Melco) from the external network at replay time.

The connection could be re-established by pressing the button again, for instance, to stop playback or to select another track or album.

This would potentially have a positive impact on the sound quality. At least, Melco users would be sure that their replay system can be fully disconnected from the chain of devices connected to the “LAN” at replay time if they wish to do so.

Glad to see you’ve had the lawn cut after the barbecue

1 Like

That’s straightforward, if @alanainslie is on line