Melco Regret

No worries, I think you meant ‘signature‘ or ‘characteristic’

Yes that’s what I meant. It keeps the signature while at the same time enhancing it. I have quite a collection and I am considering to work with two six TB Melco’s going forward to have that same quality for all my music regardless which style of music.

Yes. It’s musical communication, particularly timing. Naim is not unique in this regard. It’s a type of presentation that one would associate with Naim, among others. If we could close our eyes and pick Naim correctly every time, this points more to a characteristic artefact or form of distortion of some sort, which I haven’t heard.

This in interesting. If it changes the signature in a way which is perceived as enhancement, is it still the same? What is changing what? Can a Melco make Naim time even better? Or is the Melco introducing colourations which are perceived as improvements? Ethernet switches are through to enhance performance. I’ve tried a few including some of the expensive ones. All I’ve ever heard is a different frequency emphasis. Different but not more of the same, or better.

I suppose it all depends on the base line. But this is an interesting area. Our old NDS didn’t seem to respond much, if at all to , NAS make/model, HDD make/model, NAS based server, and a host of other things. It did show audible changes with Ethernet cables and switches. The ND555 seems to respond to just about any changes made upstream, be they hardware of software. Happily, it is configured such that it can spend all it’s time singing without me feeling the need to tweak.

1 Like

I think you have hit the nail on the head - and aligns to many of my experiences - many changes have turned out to be performance or balance adjustments rather than enhancements

1 Like

I guess the saying “if it sounds right to you, it’s right” is as good an end point as any.

2 Likes

I don’t deny your experience, which is however different from mine. Adding recently the Melco n1z2 , then Uptone switch with linear ps, I can’t hardly say that the sound is just different, no more or less. Because the tones are so more softer , the colors richer and more nuanced, the instruments better defined and sounding more real, the bass is better extended and defined, the soundstage bigger. I can hardly say it’s just different. It’s like going from bare cdx2 to cds3/xps2, in my memory.

As per my reply to Simon. If it works for you, it works. Nothing else matters.

I am fortunate in having a dealer who will let me take things home (or deliver them) to audition. By the law of averages this means a Melco is going to be purring in the lounge for a week at some point. I have read enough about it to anticipate that this will likely result in a change to presentation.

1 Like

Before buying your ER switch did you also audition EE? If so why did you prefer the first one … addng a linear ps to your switch gave you an extra upgrade?..forgive me asking you those questions …I’m curious for myself

No Meni, I didn’t heard the EE.
Adding the linear ps for the ER gave, for me, as Michael and Midnightrambler, a great uplift.
Can’t say which switch is better…

Is it a specific linear ps fitting your switch?

A 12 v one.
Mine is MCRU option 3 for Etheregen.
You have also Uptone Js2, Sean Jacobs DC3, Hdplex 300W.

1 Like

Thanks

Is there a way to use direct mode from Melco to Nd555 and still using Naim app? If not how?

If you choose the direct mode , it will sound uninvolving. ( using Naim app and still Ethernet connecting).
The true direct mode is connecting Melco and Nd555, the later only used as a dac. But no app, only using the screen of the Melco.

1 Like

The 6TB n1zh2 Model is what I use - I carefully auditioned all components to optimize the SQ and sonic signature I prefer in context of my system and the Melco was a part of that.

I also have back-up NAS drives I can access with the same (identical) music - and the Melco is way-ahead better in terms of more lively detailed presentation.

As way-back discussed - I did not think it would make any difference - demo said it did - home demo confirmed it did, so that is where it stands now. So certainly no regret.

Maybe not for everyone - there is a system context and personal preference component to a lot of these things. I respect those that tried and prefer otherwise. :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

As I am getting at the edge of my storage capacity 11tb, I am considering to buy a 2nd one…, while I hope they will come with a 8 or 10tb option. My dealer told me that they draw back to release 8 tb as it couldn’t yet sound to their standards. Let’s hope this soon changes.

I use a Melco E100 expansion drive on my 2TB Melco SSD N1 which gives me an additional 3TB of storage and works seamlessly with no loss of audio quality.

Yes I could do that but would need three of those drives including the rack space - especially the last aspect is an issue…

Hi @BertBird,
Forgive me if you have already discussed this but it seems you a very large collection.
I think that within a relatively short period of time,internet streaming especially in “hi res” from Qobuz and likely others is going to compare favorably to local streaming or CD regarding SQ. There was a significant leap with the latest streamer and tech advances. If you then also consider a service like Roon which handles the organization / metadata and possibly brings the internet streamed SQ to the same as local, local storage may become obsolete.
Just a thought before you invest.
I already find little if any difference with my 500 level system. Not using Melco though but a QNAP NAS.