Melco S100 on demo

You guys have much higher end streamers than I do, I have a Innous Zen mini mk2 with the later LPSU from them, this goes into a Rega Mk1 DAC via AQ Pearl Co ax then out into my 102/180/Neat Iota Alphas. I had a TP link 8 port switch with QOS traffic management, after trying a Catsnake lead from the guy I got the LPSU from I got an improvement. He suggested to try a Cisco switch and so I bough a refurbished one from the USA, aCisco Catalyst 2960G which has 1GB ports instead of 10/100 only. So hooked that up and was astonished that I could hear a difference, lower noise floor, slightly wider soundstage and separation. OK not massive difference but definitely better. Also found my Computer runs runs better as well. So in my system a small improvement may make a bigger difference, anyway it certainly hasnā€™t got worse. Cost of the Cisco shipped to UK was around Ā£45 I think with a 12 month guarantee, but TBH I am not going to ship it back to Kentucky. Thatā€™s the price of a couple of drinks and a meal in a pub nowadays when they are open of course. Unless you live in London of course then Ā£45 will buy you a pint and a packet of crisps :joy:

1 Like

Mine arrived today. Really easy to set up, just plug and play and it worked straight away. Not sure if there is any difference to sound, possibly a lower noise floor on quobuz files, but itā€™s certainly not worse. Good excuse to listen to music for a few hours

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance, but doesnā€™t the Rossini require a streamer to feed it? Iā€™ve seen it glowingly reviewed with an ND555

Oops, hadnā€™t finished my comment before I pressed Ā“playĀ“.

What should I expect the Rossini to bring to my ND555 and S100 combination? And what other combinations should I consider?

Hi
You can buy the rossini in dac and player mode, the dac is also a streamer (basically its the network bridge) built inside it, well really they removed the network from the rossini and put it in a box and called it the network bridge, the player adds to the dac/streamer and adds a CD player.
You can then add the rossini clock to it and that really is the icing on the cake.
You would really need to go listen for yourself, but for me it had all the best bits from the ND555, prat, speed and musical, but added to it all, the best bits from the chord dave, detail, space. I found it to be just what i was looking for, plus i like the DCS way, it supports its products going forward and brings free updates and upgrades.
Many others agree, but as said you need to try it.

Loads to consider these days

Ok, after several hours of listening my impressions are that there is no difference, as far as I can hear, from local files played from my innuos. Quobuz appears to have improved slightly though and Iā€™m hard pressed now to tell the the difference between that and local files. Internet radio, however, seems hugely better. Radio paradise has gone from suitable for background listening to damned good. No idea why any of this should be and it coild be all inmy head (apart from paradise radio why is very clearly better) but Iā€™m pleased with it either way

2 Likes

Can you remind me what you have added. So many different bits of kit being discussed here.

Ah, just seem up the the thread you have a Cisco. Which model?

Hi Nigel, itā€™s the Cisco WS-C2960C-8TC-S

2 Likes

Your kit and impressions mostly mirror mine, save that I added an UltraCap LPS-1.2. I cannot remember which thread I posted in (as there are so many at this point), but I tried a myriad of different ways to connect (Cisco 2960 in front of eR, without Cisco, closer to router, closer to streamer in the listening room); four separate linear PSUs (landed on etherRegenā€™s own UltraCap), etc., and noted no real improvements of substance in my system. It has been explained throughout the many threads as to the reasons why or why not in my case, which is just fine as far as Iā€™m concerned. Iā€™m glad they work for the 99% of people who have tried the eR and supplemented them with an LPSU of their liking, itā€™s just it didnā€™t yield enough to get real excited about for me.

In 2022 or 2023??!! :wink: :innocent:

1 Like

:grin: No, they are not Wave High Fidelity Storm cables.
They are due in about two weeks time.

1 Like

Well, Paul Heynes had the reputation that he tended run late by a couple of years or so ā€” but I think he changed his business modelā€¦ In any case, his PSUs are supposed to be superb ā€” you might be in for a treat!! :smiley:

The Paul Hynes SR7 seems to be the king for now, praised in a lot of forums. Maybe overkill for the ERā€¦but maybe not.

1 Like

Quite a beast indeed ā€” but a great way to indulge and cheer up himself in these dire days of COVID-19, if one has the beans of courseā€¦ Paul Hynes has a loyal following, and I have never seen one of his PSUs in the used market. There must be a reason for thatā€¦

1 Like

Yes I ordered my SR7T and it was duly delivered at the end of that production month even though the company were facing staffing difficulties due to COVID. It was despatched from their base on the Scottish island of South Uist and received in Norwich the day after. A very well built supply and itā€™s popularity is gaining much support hereabouts.

1 Like

I have positive results with EE in front of Linn Akurate DSM (with Katalyst). Not night and day difference but clearly audible difference and positive effect with EE. Especially PRaT improved when changing from Netgear GS105GE + iFi iPower PSU to EE.

Yes, I believe you - Linn ADSM may be impacted by some noises, but remember that the Linn Klimax DSM/3 is 3 times more expensive than the ADSM, so it is much more sophisticated in terms of dealing with the some network interferences/noises/clocking.

Agreed. I truly believe that certain brands products are more susceptible to noise etc. while others are more immune and do not require going to such lengths on ethernet cables, switches etc. In my 9 years of Klimax DS ownership I followed the postings and recommendations of Linn engineers and remained with basic certified ethernet cables (BlueJeans) and a Cisco switch.

Since making the switch to a dCS Rossini last May I continue to follow the recommendations of dCS engineers who have openly stated on their forum that any ethernet cable will work - as long as it is certified and unshielded. They have thoroughly rejected the premise that boutique ethernet cables will improve the performance of their equipment. The same goes for ethernet switches as they are not recommending any boutique solutions, regenerators etc.

Best
Gregg

1 Like

I think Klimax DSM/2 is the newest version, there should be no such thing as DSM/3 (https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Klimax_DSM_Variants). Also Klimax DSM is actually twice (not 3x) as expensive as Akurate DSM, just checked my dealers website. And theyā€™re both ridiculously expensive hifi equipment.

You might be right but on the other hand, youā€™d think that at almost 10k euros (ADSM) Linn would have done their best for clearing noise/interference from ethernet input? Iā€™d imagine this is quite basic stuff.

1 Like