Melco software update 4.35 and Qobuz library duplication

I recently updated the software on my N10 and now suddenly find that since the update it has been busy duplicating my entire Qobuz download library again. I now have folders called qobuz.com and www.qobuz.com with identical files. Periodic downloads still don’t work though, despite one of the stated fixes of the update.
Any others tried this update? What are your experiences?

I wouldn’t recommend anyone installing the new update based on my experience. I wrote to my dealer and they’re taking up the issues with Melco, if anyone is interested I will post responses here?

1 Like

I have updated to the new firmware but I don’t automatically sync to any Qobuz downloads. If I buy from Qobuz or anywhere else I download to pc, tweak metadata if required then copy to Melco from PC. Have not noticed any issues with it in my situation.

1 Like

Yes. I can download, so there is a workaround, but the automatic downloads is a nice feature, so a shame it doesn’t work.

Update from Melco UK that Japan are still working with Qobuz to fix the auto download issue. I find it strange that a software update was issued with the Qobuz downloads mentioned as one of the fixes, but it doesn’t work, but anyway I am no software designer, I’m sure it’s complicated to work through all the possible variations? But I now have two copies of my Qobuz purchases in different folders created by my Melco N10. I could delete one, but I suspect the machine would go hunting for them again.
I can’t help the feeling that Innuos buyers are getting a much better software support and service from their manufacturer than Melco customers. My dealer is onto them too, so let’s see. This thread hasn’t raised much interest, so I guess it’s a problem I’m having that others aren’t.
If there’s an answer from Melco I’ll post it here, in case it helps others with a similar issue in future.

I would be interested in the progress in solving this issue as one on the reasons I bought a Melco was the auto download capability with Qobuz, even though I am not currently using this.

So far, no news from Melco. I resisting the temptation to play around with the duplicate folders at the moment pending a solution. But OCD tendencies makes that hard :woozy_face:

Yes, I would leave well alone until a proper fix is announced, unless you really know what you are doing. In the meantime your Melco dealer might be able to offer some help. My dealer has access to Alan Ainslie and set up my Melco.

1 Like

My dealer has had a response from Melco on the issues with Qobuz and replicating my Qobuz library. Apparently Melco has a small piece of code that sits on the Qobuz server. This piece of code is what communicates with their machines. It was edited at the start of the year to allow users to move files out of their Qobuz folders if wanted. Normally this would make the Melco download the album again. I haven’t moved Qobuz files, but it seems the fact I have two similar but not identical Qobuz libraries is somehow related to this. The plan was for the Melco to keep a table of what it has downloaded, so as not to duplicate. Melco have now replicated the duplication issue and are still investigating why it happens with Qobuz, but promise to get to the bottom of it.
In the meantime my Melco doesn’t appear to be backing up properly either following the software update, I get an enigmatic ‘Backup error’ message, so can’t really investigate or troubleshoot, but am using my trusty Mac to take a second backup of the whole library, in case there’s a serious problem with the Melco backup. Better safe than sorry.
I’ll post any further updates.

1 Like

I would never use this kind of functionality as it makes me dependent on potential bugs in the process and I would anyhow need to manage the tags myself and also have proper backups….

Well my experience would certainly justify your perspective @BertBird . Bearing in mind the Melco is really just a computer supposedly designed to carry out a few functions to a high standard, it’s slightly embarrassing that it seems to be so significantly underperforming at the moment, but hopefully they will improve that. I do have my own separate second back up, so all is not lost if Melco fails.

No real news from Melco, just that Japan is working on it. Apparently this issue is one that only a few users have suffered, nevertheless Melco recognise the problem and were able to replicate it. They are determined to resolve it, so it’s just a case of waiting. Someone from Melco called me to say all this, which was nice and shows that they do care about customer experience.
I have a second backup of my library and said I could just reformat the N10’s disks and put all the music into the Import folders effectively bypassing the defective Download mechanism, but Melco asked to be given more time to find the right solution. So I am waiting.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.