"Memorable" Senior Moments

Not really a senior moment, but …

Back in my young days (I was 23) I’d parked my Hillman Imp on a public car park (free!) near to my parents’ house. In the morning I came out with SWMBO and got into what I thought was my car, and realised it wasn’t mine at all. It was another Imp - same colour, parked close to mine, and my key had worked on it. Spent 5 minutes explaining to the irate owner that it was a mistake. He thought I was trying to steal it.

I wish it were possible to disable the stupid unlock boot bit on the key for my BMW. The number of times I’ve had to go back and shut the bl**dy thing after putting the keys in my pocket. Apparently the only way to disable the boot opener is to disable the unlock bit as well. Bl00dy stupid if you ask me …

1 Like

Agh memories…the lovely island of Guernsey. We were in our black Ford focus hire car and decided to get a curry take away. Lovely spot looking over the beautiful beach. Wife went in and waited while they cooked it, myself and daughter people watched the beach. As usual no other cars in sight then…a black ford focus hire car pulls up right beside us. We watched as my wife tried to get into the other car with this old couple, who did not see the funny side of it. Nor did my wife😬

2 Likes

The estate (Touring) version opens electrically but it also shuts electrically too, so you can shut and lock it remotely. You have to keep pressing the key button while it shuts. No doubt this is supposed to be a safety feature.
Best

David

Thanks for that. I may try it next time it happens. My point still stands, though. It ought to be possible to disable one of the key functions without disabling them all.

It’s kicking in; 2 linked events have happened this week…

I’ve started cycling in to the office a couple of days a week, 17 miles each way. It’s a nice way to bookend the day but requires the right kit in the cycling pockets: keys, cash, a bit of fruit, phone, and office pass - it’s on a lanyard but at work always sits on my desk or in my pocket. Yesterday after trying to fit said pass on lanyard into the already full pockets as I was about to set off, it suddenly occurred that hanging it round my neck inside my top would be a handy way to carry it and have it readily to hand when I roll up at the cycle parking. Tsssk.

And tonight I was in Trap 2 in the gents wriggling into my cycling togs when horror of horrors someone went in Trap 1 and started to use it. In my rush to get out before it all started I pulled my shorts & top on, threw my clothes into the bag and left. A mile into the ride home everything down below felt wrong, a quick check showed the bib shorts shoulder straps were hanging down flapping around the gears & the shorts were held up by very little. There isn’t a dignified way to sort that out at the side of an A road.

Not familiar with the term trap. Is that a lavatory cubicle?

It is. I’m on the run in to retirement and can’t remember a time when trap didn’t refer to the cubicles in the gents.

Clearly a north American term and one with which most UK residents won’t understand!
We use a trap to catch mice etc.
In toilets, we have urinals and cubicles, AKA lock-ups.

It’s one I’ve heard used quite a lot in the UK (not that it’s a subject that is particularly common in my conversations), certainly for the last 20 years or so, maybe before.

The mind boggles as to what you were anticipating :flushed::flushed::flushed::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

I’d always connected the term with greyhound racing, and hence, a curiously British expression? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Blimey, what a can of worms over a throwaway phrase. :slight_smile:

Yes Dave, yours is the correct derivation - racing dogs are held in traps 1 to 6 ready for the off. A toilet cubicle is also a trap, where I come from.

The unpleasantness of being within a few feet of an anonymous man and quite likely work colleague who’s about to have a bowel movement. No thanks…

1 Like

I would refer you to the urban dictionary:

The Term “trap” Is used usually towards people that would at first appear to be cute girls, but are actually boys who have more of a feminine side whether being a homosexual or not.

From the same site " When dealing with a row of toilet cubicles, ‘trap one’ is the cubicle nearest the main door."

Ah if only I‘d seen that when I googled it. I really have never come across the term.

Especially if it’s a post curry and larger session…

Took me a while (must have been one of those senior moments) but I think I get it…

That Mr Meredith has some tenerity for sure.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.