Metadata Issue on Uniti Core

Hi David,

Most of my albums are in Chinese. If Core does not use Gracenote DB, 90% of them will not find metadata and many manufacturers have already used Gracenote, I hope Naim will face this problem squarely.

Best Regards,
marcobb0312

Naim uses a hierarchy of Rovi, then MusicBrainz, then FreeDB. Presumably there would be a cost to adding another metadata lookup source, on a per unit basis I guess. I suppose it depends whether Naim think they have enough customers in that part of the world to justify the expense.

Best

David

2 Likes

David, did you get a response from last week from Charlie Henderson and Steve on Uniti Core issues? The passion that @Stevesky applies on vtuner radio could be applied to Core issues imo.

No I haven’t seen any response from either of them yet…

Best

David

Hi @davidhendon

Got a feeling we may of missed a post somewhere. We don’t officially monitor this forum for every post, but if we have a spare 5 mins then we catch up as best we can.

Could you point me in the direction of the original post? On a public forum we can’t comment on various stuff like future developments etc, but naturally we try and be as helpful as we can.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

@Stevesky this was the post. But you should read that thread quickly from the beginning (it’s quite long but you don’t need read it in detail) to understand the context.

What are the benefits of the Core?

Best

David

1 Like

Advice please. I have a Uniti Core and have ripped my CD collection to it.

For around 45 CDs I have had to add (manually) name of album, track names and artwork as the albums were not known.

I want to use the ripped CDs outside of the Naim app in two ways:-

• copied to a SD card for playing in the car
  • playing via my network through a DAC to another HIFI system (which is not Naim)

However, the copied files and the view of the hard drive show the album as it was ripped i.e. with no album name or track name

I have spoken the the helpdesk and have been told that the edits I have made via the name app are held in a Naim database which cannot be read via my my network, I can only read and copy the original rip.

Any thoughts on how best to sort this?

Thanks Phil

Looks like you are a victim of the inability of non-Naim devices to read metadata in the proprietary way that Naim rippers store it. If you had ripped to FLAC instead of WAV you wouldn’t have had this problem. The old Naim servers allowed you to transcode your library from WAV to FLAC to avoid this issue, but that function has bizarrely been removed from the Core.

All is working fine now. Not really sure what caused my metadata problems, but maybe it was related to an issue with only specific cd’s not on the services. Thanks though for your input and assistance! Best - Bob

Does anyone know if the Core will rip and play XRCD’s, I was thinking on ordering a few from Acoustic sounds?

As @ChrisSU explains, Naim provides no support for exporting the metadata of WAV rips to open standards on the Core. You have to rip your CDs again or rely on third party software like http://www.jthink.net/songkong/. The reason why Naim’s software support for the Core is so poor is beyond my understanding but here we are!

Thx Chris. I have ripped in FLAC so don’t think this is the explanation. I think the helpdesk explanation is probably right but just want to find a way of easily updating the metadata/avoiding the issue again.

@davidhendon did steve harris follow up on your note after prompting.

No Gazza. He hasn’t yet.

Best

David

1 Like

Hi @davidhendon, @Gazza ,

I will answer this one - but not this week :wink: I’m on holidays admiring the great British weather.

Best

Steve

Enjoy @Stevesky! I hope the weather improves for you. If you PM me when you are back, I can explain further.

Best

David

1 Like

Hope you are not running around catching raindrops…have a good time👍

I might be mistaken but, as far as I understand, with the Naim app one can only edit the metadata of files that are in the “music folder”. These are WAV files, not FLAC files. Perhaps @davidhendon can confirm or confute.

If my assumption is correct and you have edited the metadata of your files with the Naim app, then these files are in the WAV format and hence you have the problem described by @ChrisSU. This would also be consistent with what you have been told by the Naim helpdesk.

Hi No-Quarter, XRCD is normal CD only, it can rip by Core.

1 Like

That is almost right! You can rip to FLAC or WAV with the Core and the rips will go into the music folder. You can only edit those rips with the Naim app, but you can edit them whether they are WAV or FLAC rips. I’m not sure where the Core puts edits to FLAC files, but I rather suspect it puts them in the same place as WAV edits, which doesn’t help the OP.

But anyway I agree with what Naim support is saying. As the Core doesn’t support transcoding, neither within its database nor on the fly, the options for copying your Core WAV rips and turning them into FLACs are limited and will involve using third party software on a PC or Mac. If someone still has the CDs then ripping them all over again in FLAC instead of WAV might be the way to go.

The Core isn’t intended as a device to prepare rips for non-Naim players sadly. So it’s one of those “you shouldn’t start from here situations”.

Best

David

2 Likes