Metadata Question

I agree that you don’t actually need to remove files and put them on a computer to edit them, once they are in the downloads folder it fine to do it there. However, if you were to do this with multiple files, it might take some time, and if the Core were to rescan the folders, I suspect it might lead to confusion if it found two copies of the same file. So as this is not an intended use of the Core, I would err on the side of caution. Also, if the Downloads folder is not included in the Core automated backup, I would be putting a copy on my computer anyway. But perhaps I’m just paranoid!

After a big - & I mean big - screw up working on-line with a communications system in my previous life, we quickly ordered that any such work must be done on a copy & tested first.
I carried the same into my audio file editing & if/when I edit files I always do it on a copy on the PC/Laptop. And considering the number of download vendors who can’t get it right even today, it means practically every download needs something to be done.
In my case it’s a NAS & not a Core/US, but the same principle, better safe than sorry.

Notwithstanding your and Mike’s caution, I can say from personal experience that it doesn’t matter whether the Core scans two copies of the music or not. Unlike with Unitiserve the Core rescans for changes frequently and any change is picked up within seconds rather than minutes. So the duplicate just vanishes when it is deleted.

The Core has to be like this because you can tell it to index multiple music shares and there is no practical way to be certain what is on those shares.

Anyway I’m not arguing against the cautious approach. Just saying that it’s not a big deal either way.

Best
David

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.