Michael Fremer’s modest system

He’s a flake in my opinion. Just look up his adventures with his electrical system at his house.

He’d fit in well on the forum them. Not sure how comfortable I am ripping into someone who isn’t a member and can’t discuss back.

5 Likes

You seem to be taking my comments out of context. The phrase immediately after the part you quoted says, “he’s one of the good guys (I’ve met him, and found him charming). He’s also very entertaining and on the side of the angels.”

4 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t aiming that at you. I was taking that comment as a sound-byte and using it to express my view of how the thread developed.

1 Like

Normally we should have more discussed about the system he describes in the video than about Michael himself. Just saying .

4 Likes

He’s opinionated get over it, dont like > other opinions are available.

His small listening room/record store in his basement seems to of been his biggest set back for many years of watching his videos.

You’d think he’d just move to another house more suitable that would give him a dedicated listening room with easy access for heavy hifi equipment or you’d think he’d move his listening room upstairs in his current house.

How he gets some of those big heavy speakers and turntables including his last turntable the Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn (weight 72KG plus 34kg platter) and the TechDAS Air Force Zero (340kg) and his new turntable the Oma (Oswalds Mill Audio) K3 turntable (90kg) down into the basement I’ll never know.

Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn (weight 72KG plus 34kg platter)

TechDAS Air Force Zero (340kg)

OMA (Oswalds Mill Audio) K3 turntable (90kg)

2 Likes

An image showing behind his listening chair.

3 Likes

If he can accommodate the Continuum , the OMA, and Techdas in one room, I guess the space is not so little. Each of these turntables weight around 200 kg, with the stand and power supplies.

1 Like

It’s the fact it’s in his basement down small, narrow, steep stairs and then past all those record shelves and his turntables are usually in a little cupboard room off to one side of the listening position.

I haven’t got a clue how he does it or why, his life would be so much easier if he moved house or moved the system upstairs.

Or maybe not if he has a SWIMBO :rofl:

3 Likes

Or a HWMBO.

In fact, he does have a SWMBO.

I doubt if he does any of the lugging around or setting up himself. He’s a reviewer; that’s what dealers/distributors are for.

2 Likes

Ooooh, very PC…

4 Likes

Yes, it is. Surprising…considering I’m not.

1 Like

So have I, albeit briefly, and I found him charming too. And rather amusing.

3 Likes

I love the bit at the start of his video’s… Nagging old woman’s voice - “Have you been buying records again” or along those lines :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t have any inclination to sit through a video nearly an hour long, however out of curiosity I had a (very) quick skim. What struck me most (other than clutter even worse than mine!) was large, presumably full-range, speakers right in the corners of his room, and no evidence of any room treatment. It made me feel that if I were to read any of his reviews I would need to take them with a massive pinch of salt as he can’t be hearing his own system at the best of which it likely is capable, so he may not be setting up reviews in a balanced, neutral way.

2 Likes

Actually, if you do watch the full video, Fremer talks extensively about his room, how often people criticize it, and how Wilson Audio came over, delivered his huge speakers, set them up, and found they sounded great. As for room treatment, he has quite a bit, as also detailed in the video.

5 Likes

The guy is who he is. I found the video very entertaining. He’s found a great gig, doing what he does best, and what he apparently loves. Isn’t that what we all want? I was particularly enamoured with his brief commentary on aging and mortality. (Hate him if you want, but I don’t need to hear about it.)

8 Likes

Michael Fremer knows more about audio and certainly turntable setup than anyone on this or probably any silly forum. Maybe you all should try googling him, before making uninformed comments. And as far as the Wilson Audio speakers in his room. I suspect it was Daryl Wilson and crew that set them up. FYI Darryl Wilson is David Wilson’s son. And is now CEO of Wilson Audio, since David Wilson’s passing.

11 Likes