Michell GyroSE or REGA Planar 8

The RP8 is the predecessor to the current P8, so I assume you are not considering that. The 8 is very much better than the 6, which I had before the 8. The 8, as well as looking different, is better all round - arm, bearing, motor, arm lead etc. As to the Technics, it’s a totally different proposition and as different to the 8 as you could imagine. A lot depends on whether you like its looks.

1 Like

I went from Planar 3 to GiroSE to LP12

For me, the GiroSE was a mistake because I found myself constantly tweaking the suspension to try to achieve a pistonic bounce. It drove me mad. The Linn needs expertise to set up but thereafter, you just play records. The Rega just plays.

So, I would have the Planar 8 because it gets out the way of the music, sounds great and looks pretty cool too.

Keith

3 Likes

I wasn’t too keen on the look of the P8 but in the flesh it looks good. The wife liked it and it does sound great.

2 Likes

I also wasn’t very keen on the P8’s looks but after a couple of additions it’s fitted in nicely. I’ve owned many decks over the years and have to say that the engineering and design concept that went into the P8 are really exceptional to get a deck that weighs so little and can be held in one hand to sound that good is amazing really.

I watched a few videos of Roy Gandy describing the new Planar TT and was really impressed although he comes across like that old hippy mate who say’s he doesn’t like money but then splits a bill down to the last penny when it comes to TT’s he and his team are really on top of their game at the moment.

In 30+ years of TT ownership the P8 is the best value deck I’ve encountered luckily I already owned a nice cart and traded in a P6 for an ex dem model but for a bit over a £1,000 I bought not only an exceptional sounding deck but also a piece of top engineering. The only deck that I’ve owned that comes close in a cost/SQ ratio is the Mk2 Technics 1210 but the new 1210’s the good ones are now quite expensive and will cost the same as a basic LP12.

I’m also pleased there are no upgrade options it’s live with the P8’s level of SQ or buy a whole new deck maybe a P10 one day.

5 Likes

Cannot talk about the regas but I have found that a full orbe with best psu with a rb250 and is a lot better than an LP12 with an Ittok II. I would not worry so much about the arms, the deck is much more important, what about a pink triangle? The good things about the michell (not as much as the regas) is that they are not very upgradeable, with the linn there are horror stories of people that have lp12s higher than klimax spec £20k+ that try a planar 10/aphelion 2/aura at £10k and it is said to be marginally better…

1 Like

The Pink Triangle Anniversary with an SME V , now that was a deck I liked. Don’t see many about these days or any other day if it comes to that, there was one for sale last month on another forum that went dirt cheap and in good condition.

1 Like

Yeah, also speaking of Gyros and PTs, true point audio deserve a mention, they also do a great lp12 dc psu…

If you are considering the Linn LP12 in basic form then consider the Vertere DG, radical aesthetics I grant!

No commercial links in the Hifi Corner please. Thanks.

Sorry, will not do again.

Hi everyone,

I have now purchased a REGA P8 with Aria. I am delighted with it. Thank you for your advice. It was appreciated.

I do however now have a question about how best to have it set up. There are 4 shelves on my Quadraspire hifi stand. Currently I have the P8 on the top of course, then my CD5X, followed by a 112X and then 150X on the bottom shelf. The problem I have is that I have to keep the Aria away from the pre/power to avoid a hum/buzz. I have a very temporary solution (which is too basic to elaborate upon!) I could do with some help in identifying a more permanent solution.

The options are (I think):

1. To stack the 112X/150X on the bottom shelf leaving a shelf free for the Aria. Previously (and embarrassingly of course) I had thought I could position the Aria on top of the 150X

2. To remove the CD player (temporarily whilst I enjoy the P8) leaving a shelf free for the Aria and the P8 power supply. Ultimately (and soon ideally) I would like to upgrade to the SN3 at which point I could re-introduce the CD payer on the spare shelf.

I have seen on this forum that having the Aria to the side is a great solution. My proble is one of space and this may be a difficult solution to manage.

Can anyone advice.

Best wishes of course for Easter,

If you have to pair up two of the Naim boxes put the CD5x on the power amp, not perfect but it gets the transformer away from the pre and the rega, and I found it quite a tolerant box when put in the wrong place, unlike the CDX2.

Whatever you do, don’t stack the 112 on the 150. If you are getting a Supernait 3 it’s worth considering a good MM cartridge. That way you don’t need a phono stage at all, and everything becomes simpler. For now, I’d just put the Aria and the Neo on the floor. My Neo lives on the floor out of sight, but still sufficiently accessible to be able to press the two buttons.

Hi,

Thanks guys (as always) for your advice. I’ve managed to come up with a solution by putting the Aria on an old piece of furniture I bought in Mumbai many years ago. It’s far from your ‘traditional’ piece of hifi furniture but it does provide a solution for now. Hopefully if I upgrade to the SN3 a simple rearrangement will enable me to accommodate the Aria on the spare shelf.

It’s not a brilliant photo but you can see the solution on the attached image.

I hope you are all enjoying the lovely Easter weather.

Best wishes,
image|666x500

1 Like

And here it is. That has to be the most exotic Hifi stand ever!

5 Likes

Might as well put the Rega PSU on it as well.

Also the Rega Reference power cord is a nice inexpensive upgrade when the time is right

Will do that for sure. I have to say that I am really pleased with the REGA P8 - even with the 112/150X. I’m sure the imminent upgrade to the SN3 will be a significant improvement.

Best wishes
L

1 Like

Hi there, apologies if you’ve already mentioned this in an earlier post but did you manage to compare the sq of the Rega against the Michell?

I set up my brother in laws Rega P3 on the weekend and I must admit, it sounded rather good. It got my wondering whether I should replace my Michell Gyrodec with something else…

I have a Syncro and a little while ago upgraded it from a Rega RB300/Dynavector 10x5 to a Rega RB808/Dynavector 20x2L and Rega Aria phono. It has absolutely transformed the sq of the turntable. When I last spoke with my dealer about turntable upgrades and mentioned the P8 as a possibility he reckoned that I’d need to go to the P10 to really make a change worthwhile if going Rega.

1 Like

Hi

Sorry for the slow response …

In the end I did not compare the REGA and Michell decks. I managed to have the REGA P8 on loan for a few weeks and really liked it and, in view of the fact that my wife really hated the look of the Michell I decided that it would be a good bet. In addition I decided that the ‘plug and play’ benefits of the REGA were significant in view of our plans to move from the UK soon(ish) … fingers crossed.

I have to say that, now I have the REGA with the Apheta 3 and the Aria (even with the more ‘basic 112X/150X) I am really very impressed with the amazing sound quality. The detail is really incredible. If I had to ‘criticise’ then I could suggest that it is almost too good to have the appeal of the vinyl sound that I had been missing so much.

Best wishes all
L

8 Likes