Miles Davis Quintet

Just wondering which of the 4 classic quintet albums members like the best.

Itā€™s like choosing a favourite childā€¦

G

3 Likes

Relaxinā€™ for me. (Cookinā€™ next, if youā€™re asking.)

ā€œOleoā€ is just great. Even better IMO than the Bagā€™s Groove version. And ā€œYouā€™re My Everythingā€ is just great.

Iā€™m going to go listen to it right now.

1 Like

If you have quadrupletsšŸ˜

1 Like

I think mine is in the order the photos appear. Then again, by tomorrow it may be in a different order again. I have to agree with you about Relaxin as itā€™s my go to of the four, usually. Decisions ā€¦ā€¦ decisions.

In case youā€™re not familiar with Andrew Roseā€™s ā€œambient stereoā€ releases, check out this new release of the six Miles Davis ā€œfirst great quintetā€ recordings. Iā€™ve been listening to their classical releases (Furtwangler, Walter, Toscanini, etc.) for a few years and find them fascinating. If you go to the PrestineClassical website they have samples of each releaseā€¦definitely worth a listen!

1 Like

Interesting thanks. Iā€™ll check them out.

Decided to invest in these after listening to the samples. Andrew Rose has done an excellent job in putting back a live feel to the recordings. Excellent quality and makes my older CD rips a bit redundant. Thanks for the heads-up. Iā€™m going to really enjoy these.

1 Like

When you say it makes your old CD rips redundant, which versions had you ripped? I have the RVG remasters, which sound very good to me. I remember seeing them in a record store in Bristol for just Ā£3 each, so I had to buy them all! As to which one I prefer, itā€™s hard to say, because as theyā€™re quite short I tend to play three or four together.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the 4 classic quintet albums on a mix of Prestige NY and Bergenfield deep groove LPs. Acquired before the prices went ballistic. Also have ā€˜Blue Hazeā€™ on an Esquire LP (pre-Quintet).

The old Fantasy multi-CD set of the Quintet with that live material included is a very good way to acquire the material for CD users.

Hard to choose between any of them !

Clive - would that be Fopp? There was a time when they were selling most of the OJCs at Ā£3 a shot and the box sets for around a tenner. I filled my boots from their London outlets - should have got even more !

No, not Fopp (although they did take a fair bit of my money!). It was a record store in Queens Road, not far from the Sainsburyā€™s Express. Itā€™s gone now, sadly. I used to leg it up and down Park Street between the two.

I have enjoyed listening to the MDQ recordings but they have always sounded a bit flat because of the recording technology used, especially when you compare them to recordings made only a few years afterwards.
I have found these remastered Pristine XR recordings have given a really nice injection of depth, space and separation without reducing clarity, tone or dynamics. They arenā€™t stereo as such, but it almost seems like they are because of the improved qualities I have mentioned. Consequently they will be my go to recordings for listening to these tracks from now on, effectively making my other copies ā€œredundantā€, as they are that good, to me at least.

Possibly Miles best set of LPā€™s, I have Cookinā€™ on OJC, Relaxin on Analogue Productions and also the recent Craft Legendary Quintet box set which I believe are taken from the OJC masters as they where considered the best source available.

So hard to choose, My Funny Valentine on Cookinā€™ alone is an incredible version I suppose Iā€™d say Steaminā€™ the one released later in the early 60ā€™s is probably the weakest but even that is head and shoulders above most Jazz records.

Iā€™m really enjoying the Craft Box Set as itā€™s in chronological order in terms of when they where recorded which gives a different angle to things but I really couldnā€™t choose.

If you just go through and concentrate on Coltraneā€™s playing itā€™s up there not only with his best but with the very best saxophone playing ever recorded, itā€™s restrained because of Mileā€™s influence who tried to teach him to hold something back always and for me it really works. Obviously later on Coltrane goes off into a whole other dimension and stretches things as far as his playing will allow but for me personally itā€™s here within the confines of this quintet that he really shines.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.