Mini cd singles

I ripped a Caitlin Carey cd earlier today and noticed that a 3” cd single was included as a bonus. I could never see the point of these at the time but I guess that they may now have some value to collectors. Does anyone else on this forum have any and if so do they ever bother to listen to them?

Donald Fagen Century’s End / 1988 Warner / Germany 3 inch CD single / W7972CD

From the film ‘Bright Lights, Big City’ - in the collection because… it’s Donald!

1 Century’s End
2 Shanghai Confidential
3 The Nightfly
4 The Goodbye Look

2 Likes

I have several although I don’t recall seeking them out. Arrived with other things I suspect. The how and why is lost in the mists of time for me.

Of course along with my move to streaming came the realisation that they couldn’t be ripped. I believe I’ve found most on Qobuz/Tidal and in some cases the tracks turned up on later full size CD releases which solved the issue. Buy and rip that CD instead.

1 Like

They can be ripped; if your drive has a spindle then lock in place as normal. If it’s a pop out tray or a slot feeder then insert into one of those plastic circles to make it into a 5” cd. Quite a few of mine came with the necessary plastic thing.

Mini cd adapter might be an appropriate name:

3 Likes

It’s an Innuos so impossible to see what it has and I don’t fancy inserting it and watching ot disappear :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love them:

I’m sorry they never caught on. Not only can a player read the TOC much quicker but they used less plastic - but who cared about that in the 80s?

They’re also very cute!

Mark

3 Likes

They seemed to be prevelant for a period, here is a selection from our cd singles collection

3 Likes

I have the 1977 EP ‘Match of the Day’ by Genesis on a Mini CD single. Plays fine on CD555 and have ripped it with dBpoweramp.

2 Likes

Having been reminded that I owned these, I’m having a nostalgia trip with Yazz and, blimey, it sounds good. I know it’s silly, but instinctively I find it surprising that a sound carrier so small can produce such a huge sound whilst looking so tiny and cute:

80s digital was by no means all bad!

Mark

2 Likes

I have quite a few here … somewhere.
Here I think are the only mini singles released by Depeche Mode; all 3 “enjoy the silence”.

And 2 of personal Jesus.

3 Likes

My small collection of Mary Black Japanese mini cd singles. There is another one i have to find although very rare and expensive.
They do make for interesting listening though due to different mastering.

4 Likes

What oddly proportioned cases - are they still 80mm discs inside?

Yes , I guess it was a Japanese thing !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.