Mini Cooper SE electric

Coming up on More Or Less on BBC R4, ‘how long do you have to run an electric car for in order to overcome the pollution caused by making the battery?’

May or may not be relevant to you.

I don’t think anyone is pretending that EV ownership is pollution free.

I shall listen with interest, their analyses in Covid were always thought provoking. I am not sure how you can compare urban tailpipe pollution from ICE vehicles (for example) with other forms of pollution generated in manufacture of batteries or indeed conventional vehicles etc. I suspect the answer is ‘with difficulty’.

I think it is clear to anyone that the best methods to really cut pollution, direct and indirect, are effective mass public transport systems and reduced dependency on personal transport.

Everything else to a greater or lesser extent is compromise.

Bruce

1 Like

Me neither.

But I was lying in bed on a morning off when I heard the trail so I thought I would flag it up so to speak, for anyone who might be interested. I’m not but I think there are people here who are.

1 Like

I realise this is not what you are asking about, but what about the VW iD3 as an option?

2 Likes

I see a fundamental difference between battery production and ICE. While both are far from pollution free, the pollution is inherent to the use of an ICE. Battery production can ba and has to be improved, but is not a problem in itself.

Thanks for the suggestion. The iD3 was something I thought about, but I simply can’t stand the huge plastic thing on its backside. The iD4 is even uglier. There is the SEAT/Cupra Born, though. Build in the same factory, if I got things right. I will take a good look at it.

…fair enough. I actually think they have done a good job on the two VW’s and like them both, in terms of aesthetics.

The problem with the Mini, is it’s not an EV designed from the ground up, hence the Marmite tag and varied opinions about its real EV credentials.

Nonetheless, it’s clear that you understand and accept those foibles, so that will make your life easier choosing.

1 Like

We should just have swapped I did the opposite.
Love the car, get the go-kart thing, like **it off a shovel.
The electric range and lack of national chargers is an issue for me swapping for an electric. I’ve driven a few and they’re compare favourably in the fun aspect, nicely kitted out too… just not for me yet.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.