Miss Mikes trike

Miss Mike had a great ride on her trike today. @Gazza @Pete_the_painter and a few others wanted some pics, so here you go - I finally remembered to take the phone. Needless to say, she is really loving it and is developing confidence nicely. It’s a custom made trike, there is only one place here in NZ making these. We choose the Rayleigh Allure frame. It has an 8 speed rear gear hub with brakes and front pad brakes. It can be have an e-kit added later.

This is a path about 5 minutes walk from our house:

47 Likes

Lovely pics Mike……and her lovely smile says it all. Thanks for remembering to take a pic for the forum, she is one of us……soon be buying her hifi for her room😉

1 Like

Ah, yes, that was last years birthday present, an all-in-one CD, Bluetooth speaker box…… It was going to be a Qb, but she wanted the CD and mum doesn’t want the Uniti2 in there, still she is a 13 year old tweenie at High school now, so anything could happen!

You’re very kind, thank you.

2 Likes

thanks for sharing

1 Like

Great to see looks like she’s enjoying it. :+1:

3 Likes

She is thanks, and seems to be becoming a bit of a local personality on the track with a reputation for the coolest bike!

2 Likes

That’s great Mike. It will do a lot for her self-confidence and she will get loads of fun out of it too.

Our eldest kid (sadly no longer with us) was very disabled and I had a lot of contact with special schools, support centres and of course lots of families and kids over the years. I always said that it’s not a case of being disabled, but rather differently enabled.

Best

David

9 Likes

Very true. She is my greatest teacher. If I had half her Grace I’d be humbled :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, so pure.

6 Likes

That makes me want a trike.

When I was a child my mother cycled for years on one.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty swish trike, but what she really needs for that pannier is a Ghetto Blaster - “Hifi on the Road”, as it were :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely wonderful gift, she must be over the moon…

1 Like

Great bike, it would be nice to see a few more of these about, getting people out and about under their own steam. ‘Me thinks’ make mental note, this might help me from falling off quite as often!

2 Likes

Yes i tried to convince my old man to get one about 4-5 years ago, when he was still fit enough to go out but not stable enough for a regular bike. He hesitated at the time because it made him feel old. But now that he’s 88 and really a bit too fragile to go out alone, he wished he had done it and enjoyed a few extra years riding the outdoors.

I think trikes are a really great option, also with electric assistance for those of a certain age.

1 Like

Differently Abled is the best description I have come across. Having watched some of the Paralympics and been in awe of how able some of the competitors are the term “disabled” seems totally inappropriate.
Lovely photos - whereabouts in NZ?

3 Likes

Time to do some revision. There is literally nothing more offensive to the disabled community as that phrase and the idea that people should be in awe of Paralympic athletes. Look up ableism.

Yes thanks, she very much loves it, and Mrs Mike and I are just delighted for her.

We’re in Onerahi, on the Whangarei Harbour in Northland. The scoria track and concrete path are on an old railway alignment when goods were moved by rail and boat.

As an aside, in my professional work I manage the design and construction of shared paths amongst other things, mostly traffic safety engineering.

Excellent pics Mike. Miss Mike looks so happy. What a great smile!

1 Like

Thanks for the lesson. I was probably guilty of ableism but did not intend any offence.

1 Like

That is one area we didn’t go when we had a wonderful four weeks in New Zealand in Nov 2019. So glad we managed that before Covid.
Lovely country, very nice people and great cake everywhere we went.

1 Like