Missing Artists on Core

I’m far from having more than a basic knowledge of the Core and I apologise if you have already tried this - I’m not sure if your are viewing everything on the 272 via the app, or the Core via the app. However I wondered whether you have monitored a DS cd ripping on the Core itself via the app. When the CD is ripping there’s an icon at the top left of the Core screen in the app, and opening that shows the state of the rip - how far it has proceeded and whether there are any errors and what database info is present. (This ripping monitor is also accessible via the settings menu). If it has ripped successfully and doesn’t appear either on the Core or the 272 then it does seem likely as others suggest, that there is some residual anomaly in the way the database is constructed and that singles out Dire Straits!

Thanks @CliveB and @Canaryfan and @ChrisSU - I contacted Naim TS today. We tried 2 things:

• Reconfigured the music store, and then tried re-ripping a DS album on the Core, but no success

• Viewed the ripping monitor whist ripping a CD, which showed a successful rip with no errors, but it still did not appear as a DS artist or appear in newest rips.

• I tried something else later today, which was to rip a new DS CD that I didn’t already have in the LQ folder, and that ripped fine, albeit it was unable to find the meta-data but I edited it without any issues.

So the problem seems to be with the DS albums that are also in LQ from my old US. Naim suggested sending it back to them and they would try to manually delete the LQ folder which I do not have the permissions to do, and also sending them a couple of the CDs that won’t rip

1 Like

If you back up the Core to a USB drive, using the backup option in Manage Music, then you should find that you can delete the contents of the LQ in the backup (if necessary you can change the access rights for the folder in Windows). Then format the Core’s internal drive in “Manage Music” (by making the internal hard drive a Music Store again). Then import your altered backup (Using import in Manage Music). Then re-rip the DS albums in the Core in the normal way.

Assuming this works, then make a new backup of the Core.

Delete the contents of the LQ folder, but leave the empty folder there, otherwise the Core’s import function might not recognise the import as a Naim rip and in that case everything will be put in Downloads, which will work but you can’t use the app to edit metadata in the Downloads folder - you have to use a PC/MAC.

Thanks David - I did free up a USB hard drive to do just that, so I will back it up this morning and then do as you suggest at the weekend. I am away on business for a couple of days so will wait until I have a decent block of time to do this with a cool head!

Mike

1 Like

I attempted to backup the CORE this morning to a USB Drive and it failed. In the Backup Monitor, it said, “processing” and then seconds later “success” but no files were actually processed and a tiny file was written to the USB Drive.

I check my NAS where there are schedule backups that run every week and that was the same, just a tiny file that was last update on 1st April.

I am now reaching the conclusion that the transfer of my US to the CORE was “botched” to steal David’s term from another post and when I get back from Record Store Day on Saturday, I will be taking the CORE back to my dealer for them to send off to Naim…

1 Like

If you don’t have a complete backup you should, in any case, make one before sending your Core to Naim. If the backup software won’t work, just manually copy the files to a USB drive on a computer.
If you then use these files in future, you will not, as David said, be able to put them back into the Core Music Store, so just put it into the Downloads folder or a designated Nework Share and the Core will be able to find them. You would then need to use a different metadata editor should you need to edit these files in future. Some would say that this is an advantage, as there are limits to the edits you can make using the Core/Naim app to edit, although that is a very convenient feature.

Thanks Chris - that’s exactly what I have done, just copied the entire music folder to my NAS drive.