Missing NAS

My ageing (but relatively trusty until now) QNAP TS 212 NAS can no longer be found on my network.

I have the IP address bookmarked and that would usually take me to the log in page but now I just get the “Safari cannot connect to the server” message. Qfinder Pro doesn’t find it either.

Finder (on MAC) sometimes struggled to find it in the past but the IP address method has always been reliable.

All of the lights look normal on the NAS and I’ve tried switching it off and on. I’ve also tried another cable and socket but it seems to have disappeared. Everything else on the network is working normally.

Any advice for a willing IT novice would be appreciated?

Perhaps a factory reset of your router may be worth a try.
Perhaps a setting has been changed that is now masking your NAS.

If you’re going to try the turn it off/turn it on routine, do the router as well (assuming that is what runs your DHCP server.)
Turn off both (and your Mac)
Turn on router (wait a few minutes to ensure its fully up and running)
Turn on server
Turn on Mac

No promises, but if it’s something like a simple IP address conflict this might work.

Most routers (such as BT hub) offer an admin site where you can see connected devices on each port with network information such as MAC address and IP address. Maybe check there?

Thanks for the replies. I’ve now tried resetting the router and switching everything off but nothing has changed.

@IainO - I’ve been the admin site for the Plusnet router and the address that I go to for the NAS is shown as something (with a funny name) using a wireless connection - the NAS is obviously wired. I don’t know if that means anything.

At switch off then on of the router, all devices are issued new internal IP addresses.
So the old IP your NAS used to have has now been given to another device on your network, in this case a wireless device.
Your router admin should show you the new IP allocated to your NAS.

That does sound like it could be an IP address conflict if another device has taken the address previously used by your NAS. Can you identify the mystery device? If so you could shut it down then have another go at restarting.

Have you defined a static ip address on your nas or do you let the router assign one on discovery? If you have defined a static one, you should also reserve it on the router to prevent other devices being assigned it going forward.

The plot thickens. I did some more googling and found an alternative IP address on the QNAP help site - that didn’t work either when the NAS was in the usual place but it did work when I connected it to the MAC directly with a cable. I moved the NAS back to the router and it doesn’t work again.

The NAS is not named in the list of items connected to router. I’ve tried all of the IP addresses for the “unknown” devices and no luck. The device using the original IP address is also shown as “unknown”.

When you direct cable connected did the IP look like 169.254.x.x

Download Qfinder Pro

1 Like

Yes - it did.

I just tried disabling the wireless thing that was attached on the old IP address and then restarting everything but there’s no difference.

I tried that but it doesn’t find it.

I don’t think I have - certainly not knowingly.

An IP starting 169.254 is a private IP, normally used when a device can’t get an automatically allocated address. That’s likely why your cable connection worked direct between Mac and NAS - both ends on 169.254 addresses?

When you connect your NAS to router either NAS will be automatically allocated an IP address (typically starting 192.168 or 10. on home networks) by your router or it will be on a static (fixed) address configured into the NAS.

If your NAS is set to get an automatic IP then all you should need to do is plug the network cable in between router and NAS. The NAS should then be shown on router admin page as a device connected to a port, and using any network scanner tool (I’ve got Fing on my android devices) you should see it and be able to validate IP address, before connecting to NAS website using IP.

If the NAS was set to use a fixed IP and there’s now some issue/clash with that you could direct connect between Mac and NAS and inspect NAS network settings - if static remove the address (I.e. make dynamic) or change to another fixed IP not currently used on network to restore access.

After spending some time looking at potential new NAS drives, I just thought I’d copy and paste the list of router devices onto this forum to see if that might help; what do you know - there it was, sitting there wondering what all of the fuss was about. It’s got a new IP address but I’ve saved that and all seems to be working quite well - albeit slowly but that’s always been the case.

I’ve no idea why it suddenly appeared but following the advice above seems to have nudged it into action - even if it didn’t happen immediately. Thanks for all of the advice. Two final questions - should I be thinking about a more recent NAS - and should it be Synology or QNAP (or anything else)?

Good news it is working!

I’m sure you will get recommendations for both QNAP and Synology as market leaders. Personally I went for a Synology DS, running Asset uPNP. Easy to setup and use, drive failure protection, cloud backup integration. All very simple really.

Search these forums you’ll find plenty of info.

I have used a few qnap devices happily over the years so think they are ok if you feel the need to upgrade… .
From what you have written it appears you have dynamic addressing via your router but you use a known ip address to access it. Since you dont reserve the addresses handed out by the router, you cannot be sure the nas will always get the same address and so the problem could reoccur.
Have you considered using afp://servername rather than afp://ip_address to access as the servername would remain static until you change it manually.

I would also recommend opening a call with Qnap support if you have further issues. Glad you got it sorted.

I have a now somewhat long-in-the-tooth QNAP HS251+ and a relatively new Synology 220+. TBH I find it hard to separate them on performance grounds. The Synology OS is sometimes reckoned to be a little more user-friendly, but I didn’t find this, perhaps because I was used to QNAP. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either, provided you put good drives in them.

Roger